Lady Vox / Lord Nagafen Complaint

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Phatcat, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Phatcat New Member

Formally complaining about the March 9th updates. Please re-instate the level 52 cap on Lord Nagafen and Lady Vox. It is really the only thread of resemblance this game has to classic anymore. The encounter is easily duo'able / boxable so I can't imagine what justifiable reason there was for doing this.
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Both of them have drops required for some epics. Having them restricted to level 52 or below makes it very difficult for someone to get that epic piece if they're a Heroic or just otherwise outleveled the dragons.
    Jyve, Yinla and Celephane like this.
  3. Phatcat New Member

0-70 takes a week, then you hit the wall. Just level up a warrior to 52 and group it with your heroic'd character running a cleric merc. Done.

Edit: There is also the 1.0 bypass quest. And anyone heroic'ing is doing themselves a disservice by skipping 0-60. I'm sure I'm a minority but I leveled all my heroics to upper 60s before applying the heroic.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Agents of Change are available on every server and they are not level restricted. However, they are restricted to subscribed accounts. Removing the level restriction for open world Vox/Nagafen brings them in line with the otherwise openly available instanced versions and makes the content accessible for all players.

Restricting content by arbitrary measures like a maximum level is bad design, and fortunately they've realized this now for almost everything in EQ.

Additionally, the dragon banish mechanic made completing certain achievements like Hunter of Nagafen's Lair extremely annoying if your character keeps getting banished by Nagafen.

Also I have no idea how you've concluded that restoring a system that never existed in classic to begin with would be the only way to make the game... resemble classic more.

These forums are hilarious.
  5. Phatcat New Member

Fair point. At this late stage in the game I believe everything up to SoV is regarded as the glory years. Not classic but of that era.

What is the argument for abolishing the cap though? It wasn't preventing people from killing Naggy/Vox, they were always consistently dead before this. If people were having trouble getting their epic items before I got a surprise for you...
  6. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It's a moot point by now anyways since you can fight Nag or Vox whenever you want with agents of change.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Making content openly available for all players = good
    Making content arbitrarily restrictive to access for no reason = bad

A LONG time ago (20+ years ago) the argument for restricting these targets to level 52 cap was to leave them available as a target for low-mid tier players who wanted to experience some raid content, and also as a route to obtain epic quest items. Raid targets back then only spawned once a week, and they were quickly farmed up by the high end level 60 guilds.

I can distinctly remember some players choosing to leave their actual MAIN character at level 52 to participate in Vox/Nagafen raids to get their epic items before continuing to level up to 60.

Obviously, none of those justifications apply in 2023 EQ at all. Vox and Nagafen are not "lower tier raid targets" - they are easily molo'd targets even for characters that qualified for the old level 52 and under restriction. Epic drops are no longer a contested commodity - on the contrary, people just give them away for free now if they happen to kill a dragon while running on their way someplace else.

The level 52 restriction was extremely dated and served no purpose at all for the majority of its lifespan.

And as I mentioned above, the dragon banish actually creates artificial road blocks to completing Hunter achievements. Ever try farming Magus Rokyll a couple years ago with a level 53+ character while Nagafen was up?

There are literally no benefits to implementing the 52 restriction again, and there are obvious benefits to keeping it removed.
  8. Windance Augur

What is your argument for having the level 52 cap?

As others have pointed out there really is no comparison to old school raids with 50+ people zerg'ing the dragons and fighting for 20-30 min to get the win or wipe.

They are molo / duo targets now even at level 50 so I don't see the original argument holding water.
  9. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

No. I like to revisit old zones to slaughter the mobs that once chewed me apart. Naggy, VP, Sleeper's Tomb, PoT, etc dead or alive, receives a visit from me once a month on my 110+ characters.
    Vazz and Rijacki like this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It is nice for Naggy and Vox to finally return to how they were at EQ release, it has taken long enough. The cap should never have been introduced. :)
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Aanuvane Augur

What threw me is you are complaining about something that happened more than a year ago. This happened on March 9, 2022.
    Rijacki and Yinla like this.
  12. Windance Augur

I remember being put in a rough spot. Choose to stay level ~ 50 and pray I could win the book for pally epic or push to 60.

I never did finish my pally epic.
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

You can get the same item drop for Paladin epic from 3 other non level locked (at the time) dragons. No excuse as to why people cannot finish/do their 1.0 epics.

The same loot tables from Vox and Naggy (quest items) are obtainable off other creatures. Not to mention most are tradeable. I’d not miss any sleep if they changed them back to lvl 52.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No reason to keep that restriction in place now that everyone has access to it via the AoC.
    Yinla and Svann2 like this.
  15. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Revenge is best served cold and many many levels later...
    Yinla likes this.
  16. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

There were items added to other loot tables later just like AoC and the pre-1.5 epic were added later.
  17. TheRealMuramx Elder

With AoC's available it doesn't matter. I can't even tell you the last time I saw a dragon from Velious and below open world, because people destroy them as soon as they spawn. I haven't seen Wuoshi in waking lands in the open world since PoP was current lol.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Phatcat New Member

I am shocked at the support you guys are voicing for upholding this change. Regardless, my complaint stands, this was a senseless move and IMO none of you have actually articulated a valid reason for this change. All I am seeing are the already implemented ways to get around any heartache there was over epics.

I don't think AoC's exist on Live Servers.

Nostalgia and to slow down random killings when people run through the zone, ensuring someone who needs them has a better chance of finding them up.

It came to my attention last night when loading up my level 52s for Naggy/Vox.
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

To this day, on any character, at any level cap

Kizzdean Gix is dead if I see him.
    Rijacki and Silvena like this.
  20. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

so really, you're just mad that anyone over 52 can do it, so your level 52 box crew is moot.

Go level them up, have some fun!
    Rijacki likes this.