EQ2 Instates Community Voting on Class Balance

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tucoh, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Tucoh Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...e-personal-treasure-and-your-feedback.609590/

Interesting idea.

Also a reminder to posters to be very careful when discussing this topic as violating the below rules will result in a ban.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/forum-guidelines.285421/

Dre. and Rijacki like this.
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Been there, done that. We did that sometime between 15 and 20 years ago. They fixed a lot of the lists, but they eventually reached the point where what was asked for was power not balance.
    Dre., Nennius, Szilent and 3 others like this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I've almost completely given up on balance, the devs don't seem to really care about balance & their idea of a class-hierarchy across functional class playstyles is likely as big of a mess as any player-created one, or worse.

So attainable balance, whether by one or 2 exceptionally well-intentioned individuals with a deep understanding of class mechanics or by way of a "wisdom of the crowds" approach is probably a delusion.

I would like to see some actual class development take place, the staganation of most classes has been deepening since before EoK made a solid stab at alleviating it (a thousand blessings be upon Dzarn).
    FYAD, Hobitses, Ssdar and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dre. Altoholic

Let's do it.
    [IMG]
    Duder likes this.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Step 1: Define Class Balance.
  6. Spacemonkey555 Augur

I vote my classes (bst, mage, necro, sk, druid, bard) get a 25% increase to mitigate their long stagnation as the worst/most neglected classes, all other classes are overpowered and should probably be reduced 25% in all aspects.

Cleric dps in particular is pretty over the top, and could use a 50% decrease, they should not be doubling necromancers in the raid parses.

Letting forumquest affect EQ class balance is a great idea, full speed ahead!
    zleski likes this.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Is calling for nerfs equally across all classes against the rules?
  8. Buds Augur

Balance is easy now. Take the classes no one plays and give them a reason to play them again. Nerfing a class that is popular, because it's strong or useful, doesn't make the class no one plays, any more desirable or popular. Not too hard to figure out what classes need some love right now.

Every class should be OP in a certain situation, that's part of the fun of the game. No one wants to be average always. Time for some new skills and spell lines.
  9. kizant Augur

It's not really that difficult. You just look at the outliers and try to get them closer to everyone else. Ideally with small changes every month instead of big revamps that drastically change things. Especially considering the trouble the devs have had in the past with estimating the impacts of what they're doing.
    Tucoh likes this.
  10. minimind The Village Idiot

I've always been intrigued by the prospect of demand-based overpowering. Example:

At the top of the hour, an automated census of max-level characters not AFK outside of non-combat zones is completed. The least popular classes within the subgroups gets a 60-minute buff relevant to that subgroup. If the same class is the least popular within the subgroup at the next census, they get an even more powerful buff. And then a third time. Logging out strips the buff.

Subgroups:
    • Tanks: WAR, SHD, PAL
    • Healers: DRU, CLR, SHM
    • Hybrid DPS: RNG, BST, BRD
    • Melee DPS: ROG, BER, MNK
    • Caster DPS: NEC, MAG, WIZ
    Enchanters don't qualify because no one trusts shapeshifters.

Devs will be able get data regarding what power levels provide sufficient incentive for people to play certain classes and then use that information for balancing.
  11. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

People exploit the crap out of the that.
  12. minimind The Village Idiot

How? By powerleveling 15 paladins and warriors each, logging them in at 5-minutes before the hour, getting their SKs the buff, and then logging out the paladins and warriors? Seems like a lot of work for a buff.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Class balance?

Let's deal with server lag first. Then worry about how out of balance your favorite class(es) is/are.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

+1

As smarter people than me have said in the past, fixing lag has to be done before any balance changes because without doing that the balance is going to be horribly distorted anyway.
    Rijacki likes this.
  15. Iven Antonius Bayle

Letting forumquest affect EQ class balance is a great idea, but not when players like you do make suggestions because you clearly do have a limited perception of reality when you post that BST, NEC, SHD, BRD are part of the worst/most neglected classes and that all other classes (exlcuding DRU) are overpowered. DRU seems to be UPed but all the other classes that you mentioned are on the top and there were good reasons that NEC and SHD got nerfed about five times in the last seven years.