A brand new Heroic Mage

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Robren911, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Robren911 New Member

I thought okay how hard can this be. I'm a really good Shammy. A pretty good Beastlord. Well it's hard when you are a pet class and you don't know what spell to use to summon a pet. LoL I tried Summon Monster X and a Warder looking per appears only after I have been beaten half to death. I totally deserve how silly I feel. I would be grateful if someone could tell me just how to summon a pet so I'm not just nuking light blue mobs. But can dive in and. play . I know there are resources but probably nothing this basic. This is why am I getting shocked drying my hair in the shower and I know it. LoL. But I love the game. I'm just new to this toon. Which is why I should have placed it first. Help please.
  2. Robren911 New Member

I actually think I might be bugged. No pet spells are working. Is that even possible?
  3. uberkingkong Augur

Right click into spell slot gem, find pet, now click the highest level one you have. Tutorial doesn't teach you about right clicking spell gem, and some people still don't know you can do that in game.

UI/UX team can do better.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Usually when you go "Heroic" you will have a set of hot buttons memm'd already that include that class's "most" relevant spells. If your like me when I made my first Heroic those were the first things I erased since "I knew what I was doing and didn't need them to tell me" HAHAH what a laugh. If your playing a class you never played then they should not be erased. So moving on:

At level 85 your looking for Monster Summoning VII as a pet.

This is a nice guide for a Heroic Mage - it is older like 6 years ago and stuff has changed but the basic stuff is the same and you can also look up your spells on Allah

So this is the guide
    https://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/comments/60xi66/heroic_mage_guide/

Here are your spells at 85 Mage
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db...el=85&opt=And Higher&expansion=&action=search
  5. Iven Antonius Bayle

Monster Summoning ? :eek: It does summon the weakest pets and I don't think that the lvl 85 version is an exception. Have you ever played a magician CatsPaws ? ;)

Aspect of Earth is the pet spell you are looking for Robren911. You can also try the other three elementals (Aspect of ...). Earth pet has the most HP and can root but has low DPS. It is often the strongest tank but sometimes the air pet is better because of stun and DPS. Water is melee DPS (ROG) and the fire pet is caster DPS (WIZ).
    Quatr and TheRealMuramx like this.
  6. Derd Augur

And is it possible you don't have any malachite?
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

Are you trying to cast a pet "at" an NPC like swarms, or are you summoning and buffing before a fight like a BST/SHM/NEC?

Summon monster takes the form of a random NPC in the zone you are in, which is a neat effect but as said above the stats on some of the Summons are weaker, relatively. I can't remember which expansion they were the best pet, but have since languished.

The main MAG pets are under Sum: Air (Pally~ish, stuns), Earth (War), Fire (Wiz), Water (Rogue).

At level 85 you will already have Conjurer's Efficiency so malachite won't be consumed, but I think you may still need to have one in inventory for the reagent check (I already have 2 pets up I don't want to kill one to check that).
    https://www.raidloot.com/spells?name=Aspect of&effect=&class=Mage&level=&view=
    Consumes: Malachite x 1
    https://www.raidloot.com/aa?name=Conjurer's Eff&effect=&class=&level=&tab=&exp=
    This passive ability prevents components used in the summoning of pets from being expended.

Summoned pets use the pet window same as other pet classes. Swarms do not use the pet window.

I don't know about warder-looking, to me they are earth model, but the "Bodyguard" line of self-buffs will proc a swarm when you get hit in melee. These are not useful in combat other than rooting the mob so you can run off.
    https://www.raidloot.com/spells?name=Bodyguard&effect=&class=Mage&level=&view=
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Played one for about 20 minutes but you and Soul were running out of whipping boys:D
  9. Dilquan Augur

Necro or BST are better pet classes.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

this
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Nope.

Different maybe, not better.

Mage pet is the superior tank, mage is the highest burst DPS, mage pets are tunable to group setting with 4 different classes per rank to choose from.

They also AoE if you can find a PL partner, you're golden. AoEs spiff up DPS parses too. (and for farming tradeskill materials on lower level stuff and huner cheese.

On a heroic of a class you're not familiar with, type V for alternate advancement window and bottom left, click [Can Activate] and go tab by tab and make your hotkeys and read what they do.

Then /join magician and read the class subforums.

and yes, "Expended" assumes you do own one. "needed" would be the repacement word if you didn't have to have one.
    Quatr likes this.
  12. Flatchy Court Jester

COTH alone is worth having a mage along.
    Joules_Bianchi and Rijacki like this.
  13. TheRealMuramx Elder

Use the water pet. Monster summoning is the weakest pet of them all. The water pet can tank better then a lot of tanks and puts out the DPS.

When you max out suspend companion you can swap between 2 pets. I keep the water one up and an earth one in standby Incase I need more tankyness (but they have very low DPS.) Put agro weapons on your Earth pet, so you can make up for it's bad DPS by burning stuff down.

The fire pet is useless and the Air pet is used when you level up and it's the first out of the next set of pets, but you will change it over to water the following level.
  14. Hegsheoshed Augur

Don't forget the Bodyguard pets in the combat innates. It will have a little counter of 48 charges for each mini earth pet that gets summoned as you get hit. There are also the swarm pet spells which you should wait a few seconds for mercenaries to aggro on stuff before you send the swarm pets in. You still get a spell that you cast to summon the swarms later and a spell that summons a single charge item for the same type pet that you can use in addition to the cast swarm pet AND your Host of Elements AA.

So you also want to go out and get hit as a mage and you will want to keep your AC up to do so. You might not want to get hit all the time though. This means upgrading your Heroic gear right away and keeping your EM earring as up to date as you possibly can since it also boosts your swarm pets.
    Quatr likes this.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

You need a malachite to summon a pet and a pearl to use CoTH.
    Earth pet is the strongest tank, but lower DPS. Earth pet roots and is best against mobs that flee.
    Air pet is not as strong as earth, but air can stun, so air is the best tank against stunable mobs.
    Water pet is a rogue, is the worst but acceptable tank but significantly higher DPS.
    Fire pet doesn't have much application.
    Monster summoning doesn't have any application as a pet.

Your RS swarm pet spell only lasts about 18s, but it makes a decent tank, and you can cast another before the 1st one times out. The swarm pet is the primary off tank for a mage. When you pull 2, put your pet on the 1st one and cast RS swarm pet on the second.

You have pet AAs that are important. DA is like the cleric spell that saves you pet if it almost dies. You also have a rune you can cast frequently. Mend companion is a good panic heal on pet. Pet fortification is both passive and active, and when active, increases pet tanking. Frenzy increases DPS.

Right click on empty sell gems and look at the spell types. For AAs, click the drop down at the bottom and select "can activate", then read through them.

To learn to solo, summon an earth, water or air pet. Have up a pet heal or a cleric merc. Malo the mob to pull, send in pet with taunt on, nuke to death. If you get an add, send swarm pets on the add. For grouping, use Water pet, malo, then nuke, and try your different abilities.

For DPS optimization, there are plenty of posts by Sancus.
  16. Tucoh Augur