Do you enjoy playing Overseer each day?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Fian Augur

When it was first released, it took some skill figuring out what was the best agent for each slot. Then they sorted it so that the best agent was usually the first option. Now, you click a button, wait through the lag, and it auto-fills each slot.

Overseer has become progressively easier, but in its simplest form, it is a reward for logging into the game each day. Many online games do that, but usually they just give you a reward. Overseer makes you "earn" it.

So, back to my question. Do you enjoy playing overseer? Ignore the rewards side. Do you enjoy the mini-game? Which category do you fit in?
    1. Yes, I enjoy it. And play it daily to maximize my character(s).
    2. No, I don't enjoy it, but I play it daily to maximize my character(s).
    3. I don't enjoy it, and rarely use it.
    4. I never got into habit of playing it in the first place.

Would you prefer a daily reward instead, just for logging in? To be honest, I did log in daily before overseer, but it was to check who was online and what was going on. Now, it is complete the mini-game and then log off. I think for me, it has become a net negative in my mindset of when I log into the game. I am thinking less of playing EQ, and more just completing a chore and then logging off.
  2. kookoo Augur

i don't really enjoy it , but it is the best xp for the time invested when you are lv 111+ ( **except doing mission once ** ) . and i leveled several toon with overseer.

with the auto-fill option i started to use them for the collectibles and for 6 or 7 accounts.

with new expansion progressions and anniversary tasks i prefer to play EQ than doing the conversion ( common agents ) and they piling up fast , i will have to work on these after anni tasks are over ( should have to spend many hours for the common conversions on 6 ot 7 accounts ), atm i am about at 4 or 5 duplicating for all common agents ...... .

i wish we could have a button to click ( on ~ off ) to stop having agents to pile up after we have 3 + duplicated agents ,
    or to have a auto fill duplicated agent x 100 , something .
  3. code-zero Augur

Yes I do
    Nennius likes this.
  4. Zarkdon Augur

I enjoy the rewards.
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Yeah, it's alright. I would like a 4th type of conversion, that would make it into a kind of recipe. So if I want to get a specific agent I can, rather than it just being completely random. Also, being able to get rid of duplicate special iconic agents like having two Santug's would be nice as well. Plus a reminder option toggle for if you are max regular XP, but claimed the regular XP. Plus making the Mercenary AAXP option actually reward better than the regular XP option with regard to mercenary AAXP.
    Graag Baash and Rijacki like this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Necessary evil but enoy? Not so much. I guess if I was just doing it for one account it might be a little.. hmmm well no even then its not like its fun just a hoop to jump through for exp.

I do like seeing all the artwork from the old card game though.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You see it as a chore to do, that is likely why you don't enjoy it.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I don't enjoy it because there is no fun element for me. So hard not to see it as a chore. Maybe I am missing some fun part of it. It also has none of the game play that I play EQ for. What part of it is fun for you?
    ForumBoss, Skuz and CatsPaws like this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

5. I dislike it, have no interest in "agents" and I do not see this as a "reward" for logging into the game each day.

But I do set it everyday, over and over, until my eyes cross and I want to puke. Just to get the collects.

I see it as a chore also. There is no interaction and we don't do anything on the quests. We click a couple buttons and its done.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

I play it for leveling a new alt, and for my main I used it recently to get older expansion mats for distillate of celestial healing XXI and velium fortified drink.
    Ulrin and Skuz like this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd rather do Overseer for 5 minutes than run round looking for collect ground spawns for hours, that I do find extremely boring.
    ForumBoss, Ulrin, Annastasya and 7 others like this.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

2. No, I don't enjoy it, but I play it daily to maximize my character(s).

Using it for merc xp mostly, not to max the PCs.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Skuz and Nennius like this.
  13. Windance Augur

When it first came out I enjoyed the game because it was an interesting min/max puzzle that took some effort to figure out and gave some nice rewards.

After a few weeks though it became a chore and with the "easy" button there is nothing to "figure out" and its purely click to win. They just need to figure out a "mass convert" and/or as "mass retire"
    Ulrin likes this.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

Was it ever a puzzle where you did significantly better if you worked out the ideal solution though? Seems to me I always won even before the autofill.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There is very little enjoyment to be found in Overseer because the level of interaction & reward involved is minimal.
    It performs as a means to an end in aiding character progression a small amount, perfunctory.
    I do enjoy the LDoN art assets & the small lore tidbits found amongst them.

But overall, it could be removed tomorrow & I wouldn't shed a tear if my money spent on it was refunded.
    Ulrin and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  16. Tucoh Augur

I don't enjoy it and use it as minimally as possible. There are much better ways to increase the progression rate floor of the game.
    Skuz and Sancus like this.
  17. uberkingkong Augur

Its a good way to get people to login for a quick min or two and try and hook them to play longer than that.

If its really used as the way to get xp. Terrible.
    I believe the quests/missions is the way they want people to get lvls/xp on Live.

Thing is, late game they are on steroids compared to early game.
    T1 CoV mission,
    Honestly that would be T2 T3 early EQ difficulty.
    Tons of dps checks too.

Too much raiders saying how Group content should be.
    While their raid content is beating on opening day.

As a grouper, make raids (Tier 1 should be easy. but Tier 2 and 3) harder for raiders.
    Let them whine that groupers are making raids difficult for them now.
    Less DPS check more mechanic check for raiders. crouch, run away, and it affects random people so boxing it becomes difficult.

On TLP vs Live, I notice Live servers raiders hardly raiding, its too easy.
    TLP people raiding all day and night.
    Make Solteris trash clear raids again, keep the raiders busy from going to Group game and talking about how easy it is and it needs to be more complex. Yes trash should repop too.
    Clearing trash is a community booster too. Its good for raiders. 30 mins should be avg to clear trash to a boss.
    Trash mobs should be able to charm/punt/FD and be some nameds that don't drop loot too to add difficulty to clearing trash to a boss fight. Ah lets not forget they should be able to do some nasty nukes too, wizard trash mobs should be able to do 500k DD targeted AE nukes.

Too much MIN/MAX focus, wheres the journey? There hasn't been journey for easymode raids for raiders. Clearing trash is the journey to the boss fight. Make it tense and boss fight knowing you wipe, you gotta clear again, camp cleric/mage. Just like how you do on TLP, camp that cleric we wiped.

Overseer is pretty much main ways to get XP because raiders made group game hell. Raider "Put all the xp in missions, and they easy so make em harder and complex." ~ Norrath raid council advisers
    T1 group game/quests/missions should be cakewalk but it is not. I can understand T2 T3 being difficult.

T2 T3 raids make em hell. The not so serious raiders, who cares if they don't finish T2 T3, they not so serious after all. Should only be able to do 1 to 2 bosses realistically not 3+. 3+ if your raiding all day like how they do on TLP. What makes raids take longer is trash. Bring back the trash to keep those raiders busy and out of group game all day talking about how it should be harder. All the trash drop trash even the named trash too. Raid gear is enough reward.
  18. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

I hate it and reluctantly do it for the rewards
    Skuz, ForumBoss, Dre. and 1 other person like this.
  19. Verily Tjark Augur

Since the beginning, EQ has been all about tedious, repetitive tasks to better your toon. It's not "fun" to just press some buttons, but it is fun to watch your toon advance.

I like the system, and I would almost say it is necessary for the game today... just wish I could do Overseer as an app on my phone while I'm at work.

Per the OP, I guess I am kind of between option 1 and 2.
  20. Zarkdon Augur

Overseer on my phone would be amazing.
    ForumBoss, Ulrin and Graag Baash like this.