Personal loot system is off the table

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Captain Video, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Captain Video Augur

EQ2 personal loot system is being shut down, per dev posts in the EQ2 forums. Loot and raid unlock keys have already been removed from the marketplace. Reporting on this update is already making the rounds in gaming media. So, if this was going to be the big early April announcement for EQ1, people might be waiting just a little bit longer... :)
    Barton, Xanathol, Faydra and 4 others like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This was a small ray of sunshine for me, thanks for sharing.

And a thank you to the EQ2 community, they voted with their wallets perhaps.
    Barton likes this.
  3. Aiona Augur

I am glad to hear it's being taken out.
  4. Grummle Journeyman

Thank god, this was my single biggest worry.
  5. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

I don't follow EQ2 but after looking up the mechanic over there, I'd immediately quit EQ if anything resembling that was implemented. You can buy all the krono you want, but at least in terms of raid progression EQ is more or less a level playing field, 10% currency perk notwithstanding.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Aiona Augur

I skimmed through 6 posts or so and couldn't find the source. Would you mind linking it because I'm lazy and don't want to continue reading through threads for a vague reference. :D
  7. Bananabread Apprentice

Aiona likes this.
  8. Aiona Augur

9. Gemstoner Elder

I'm going to bet that's a monkey wrench in the experimental plans. Although I do like the idea of personal loot on rare/raid kills if the items were made no drop/heirloom.
  10. Faydra Augur

Can you imagine the chaos in the office on Monday morning if this was actually a part of their plan for the next TLP ;)
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

Just because the EQ2 devs have decided to scrap the idea doesn't necessarily mean that the EQ devs will do the same, if that was indeed part of the "experiment". They may still try some form of it anyway, just to see if we'll have the same negative reaction that EQ2 players had.

Based on some of the posts I've seen regarding this issue where EQ players seem perfectly fine with buying their loot, the outcome might be different with this game's fanbase...which would be sad.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I don't have an issue with a personal loot system, what I take exception to is turning that into an opportunity to nickel & dime players in a serious escalation of milking their players in a cynical & greedy manner.

Monetization of purely cosmetic options I am wholly fine with, go ahead and monetize the crap out of player appearance items, housing objects, mounts, hats - everyone likes to look cool but that doesn't screw over players who are poor, they might not have Gucci shades or a Rolls-Royce Donkey, but they can do all the important stuff the same as everyone else.

Don't screw with the meaningful loot acquisiton part of the game like you can just hide pay to win, a thinly veiled cash grab, by having it masquerading as "more choice".
    Most of us are not that gullible or dumb, everybody is trying to rip us off in the real world, we got wise to scams and schemes for the most part. Level playing fields matter, most of us get screwed over by being poorer in real life & working too many hours already, last thing we need is our gaming escapes from that reality starting to mirror it.
  13. Captain Video Augur

It should be noted that JChan is the producer for both games. It would have been her decision to back out of the EQ2 personal loot system. I can't see her making the exact opposite decision for EQ1. Regardless of whether or not they have been considering a similar system for EQ1. the suggestion that the new TLP "experiment" has something to do with it has been entirely speculative. It could easily be something else unrelated.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The Everquest 2 system was setup for all servers and the new TLP is supposed to be an experiment that could be used on all servers. As it stands if that system is what the new TLP is supposed to be I can still see it happening as it isn't designed to impact live servers until it is understood how it will work.
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

It could very well be something completely different, but the timing of it all was just too much of a coincidence to ignore. They announced an "experiement" for the new TLP server almost at the same time as they put the personal loot/loot boxes into EQ2...with zero notice to players that the change was coming, from everything I've read.

Seeing as how the two games, aside from the EQ brand and some terminology, don't seem to share anything related to game play and loot distribution, the devs adding some version of the changes they made to EQ2 would probably still be on the table if they were going in that direction.

This is a "cash grab/make a buck at every opportunity" company with very little regard for the game(s) or the players. The outcry and disdain from EQ2 players was very visceral (more than anything I've seen on the EQ boards), which is why they reversed their decision. EQ players seem more receptive to pay-to-win mechanics.
    Appren and Skuz like this.
  16. Arclyte Augur

cash grabs like that will easily kill a game, especially one on life support like EQ2
  17. Noxious New Member

This is quite the coincidence. It would not surprise me in the least if that was actually true. If it is true, hopefully they had a backup plan, like a normal business model would, for in case things have to change. If they are smart, they decided to test the idea out on EQ2 first. The EQ1 playerbase is slightly larger, at least that was my understanding, so using your 1 TLP a year, which generates quite a bit of revenue in new account creation and stuff bought from the daybreak store (xp pots and all of the quality of life potions for lowbies such as mana regen, speed, etc etc.) as a platform to "test somethinig out" does not seem like the greatest idea in the first place.
  18. Baulkin Augur

It isn't personal loot that people had a problem with. It was the microtransactions that allowed you to reset the personal loot timer. Based on what the devs have said I think personal loot is something they are looking at.
    Skuz, Sabra and Velisaris_MS like this.
  19. Sabra Lorekeeper

Exactly. When I first read this I was thinking there was some "bug" or "exploit" players were experiencing. It has nothing to do with that, its just the way darkpaw implemented it that people were unhappy about.

I don't see any reason they can't implement it in EQ with better lock out timers etc. I would say that if this was their plan, the only delay would be them tweaking their implementation. They don't have to come up with a whole new idea.

Also, this is EverQuest we're talking about. The "gaming industry" and press don't care about EverQuest (there's like 6 recent EverQuest YouTube videos all made by Fading lol). Its not like the press are going to have a field day that would block any attempts to announce personal loot for EverQuest.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yeah, I kinda like the idea of missions having a request/replay lockout and a separate loot lockout.

I think the EQ2 version they tried was 30 min for the request lockout and then some insane number for the loot lockout. I'd love the ability to run a mission when I got on (probably a random/pickup group since I tend to get on a little early) and then be able to run it again a little later with guildmates when they log on even if it meant I got no loot on that run. I think 30 min to request/replay, and then the usual 6 hour lockout for loot would work fine.

The problem was the ability to just spend real world money to remove the loot lockouts. That's what made the EQ2 players so mad. Bot groups being able to sell taskadds every half hour would be a game killer...at least for me.
    Skuz likes this.