All familiar items should also be pet illusions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ravanta Suffer, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Ravanta Suffer Augur

All familiar items should also be pet illusions. That's it, that's the request.

It is my understanding that the older heritage crate familiars were not enabled to be pet illusions, but the more recently created ones were. I would like to think that this request could apply to all familiar items, not just those from heritage crates. Those are just more fresh in memory because they were recently available for sale.

Familiars are fun for some people, but in general they are just an extra model that doesn't serve any purpose from existing in the game, which is why we have autoleave in the familiar keyring.

Pet illusions however, are amazing and are fun for every pet class. The heritage crate familiar items would be more desirable if they could also be pet illusions, so one would assume that more heritage crates would be sold.

[IMG]
    Andarriel, Koshk, xeveq and 25 others like this.
  2. DragoonRuin New Member

Hire this man. You want money right DPG? Here's your easy path to more money. There is literally ZERO downsides to this for anyone.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  3. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

I would be extremely happy if I could make my wind fairy familiar into a pet. Happy days it would be.
    Hobitses likes this.
  4. Angahran Augur

Would love my pet to have the Schrodinger's skeletal kitten illusion!
    Hobitses, Ravanta Suffer and Silvena like this.
  5. Celephane Augur

I like it. My guess is that it is easier said than done though
  6. Iven the Lunatic

Pet illusions, familiars and hero forge ornaments are so screwed now. It can lead to grotesque combinations when a pet class is using the same style for both the pet and the familiar and even on itself by an enchanter illusion. Pet classes should not be able to use a familiar as it is just to much. Adding the pet illusion option to familiar items could be the right choice but only when familiars and illusions do get restricted. Most items are class or race restricted for good reasons but illusions and familiars are not, which does lack logic. I do strongly dislike that illusions and familiars are not bound to races and classes. Everyone can look like everyone and everything and the game became a dressup game for kids at the cost of fantasy roleplay gotten totally destroyed. Grats art directors, for betraying the classic EQ concept and it's fans and turning Norrath into a 24/7 disney party over the last decade.
  7. eqgamer Augur

Thumbs up from me. I've asked for this on at least two occasions. This would be a most welcome change.
    Yinla and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

If I had to guess, the reason why they don't do this is animations. The only thing that a familiar needs to do is walk around beside a character. A Pet has to be able to fight, cast, and do other emotive things. I am betting that most familiars have models which only have walking animations.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

That definetly is a factor to consider and some familiars like horse mounts and cats might just look stupid doing so. Currently a few would have to be excluded from being pet illusions just because of that.
  10. Magickon Augur

I don't think that is a valid reason for rejecting the idea.

The majority of player only illusions cannot ride horses, do not have a sitting animation, and many don't have spell casting animations. The fact that pets wouldn't have some of these things is even less necessary to point out. Almost every familiar in the game is based on an NPC that players fight at some point and no one in everquest cares that an orc in crushbone doesn't sit down to rest after it kills an entire group of people using its fists or its spells.

People were tripping over themselves to get the ice golem illusion recently, and it has no casting or sitting animations. No one is going to be disappointed because their pet black mamba snake doesn't have a specific animation for when it casts spells.

Yinla likes this.
  11. Zeelot Elder

I also agree with OP! Would be nice. At the very least, it would be great if all the familiars from all old heritage crates are made the same as the newer ones.
  12. Orphius the Gnome New Member

This is a much desired change. It doesnt really make sense that half of the familiars work on pets and half don't.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

@Ravanta Suffer

Created on april 1st. Was this thread meant to be an april fool's hoax ? :D
  14. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Scary. I didn't realize the date. To be clear, I 100% wrote this post seriously. The date is just a coincidence.
  15. zylle Robot Death Monkey

Please, this! I've been trying to figure out how to make my pet a wolf or dog, to name it after a real life dog of mine that has passed, and the best I've been able to come up with in the last 2 months is to get a wolf familiar and rename that.. but I'd absolutely love if I could illusion my actual mage PET to a dog or wolf.
  16. Sephirex New Member

I 100% support standardized behavior for familiars/illusions along with more customization options for players. This is a no brainer addition that would help with monetization as well.
  17. SteamFox Augur

This would be great, all the models are there, most of the newer familiars/pet illusions are already combos. This would be a great standardization / QoL / Money maker for the market place.
  18. Iven the Lunatic

You just picked the wrong class. Start a barbarian beastlord instead and you will receive a white wolf. Giving a magician a wolf pet does make as much sense as giving a paladin a skeleton pet or familiar.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

And without restrictions and rules also a roleplay, class and game destroyer, because many people do have a bad taste and do think that EverQuest does belong to Disney.
  20. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Every paladin can currently have a skeleton familiar, pet, and ride a skeleton mount at the same time.
    Yinla and Rijacki like this.