Test Update 03/21/2023 - New UI Bugs Only

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Strat79 Apprentice

Yes, I can't stand snapping either. I do hope they make it an option on down the line.
  2. Angahran Augur

Could we please have the converter tool put it's error files somewhere a little more easy to find than here ?

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\

Also appears we are getting 'errors' for stuff that appears like it should work ?

e.g. AlertWnd_errors.txt
    line 7 column 9 - Warning: <div> proprietary attribute "item"
    line 15 column 42 - Warning: <div> proprietary attribute "item"
    line 18 column 1 - Error: <eq-checkbox> is not recognized! Did you mean to enable the custom-tags option?
    line 18 column 1 - Warning: discarding unexpected <eq-checkbox>
    line 23 column 2 - Warning: discarding unexpected </eq-checkbox>
    This document has errors that must be fixed before using HTML Tidy to generate a tidied up version.
    Emilari likes this.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

Having parts of the UI just randomly lock into place somewhere when being moved (on purpose or by accident), without an option to turn it off, is just really, really crappy design...in any program, not just a game. I hope that doesn't make it to live.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Barton like this.
  4. Jedis Arch Mage

To each their own. I'm sure that will go on a list somewhere. We're testing for bugs primarily, not out to preserve the idiosyncrasies/every legacy feature of a 20+ year old game. Some compromises will have to be made.
  5. Quatr Augur

Here is a UI bug while buying Scarlet Marks from "a mysterious presence" for Overseer Tetradrachms. I had something like 1.7 million Tetradrachms and was buying Scarlet Marks 100 at a time. At first the value in the Quantity column of the "Alt. Currency" tab was updating correctly. However, once it reached 658,000 (I didn't record the exact number, so it's probably off by a few hundred or perhaps even a few thousand), it stopped updating. I kept buying 100 Marks at a time until my next purchase was canceled due of lack of funds. I switched tabs, then went back to the "Alt. Currency" tab and the number of remaining Tetradrachms was updated.

This was not a big deal for me since I was going to spend all of my Tetradrachms on Scarlet Marks anyway, but it can be a nasty surprise to someone who is relying on the Quantity column to keep accurate track of the outstanding Tetradrachm balance.

Update: After I got my 1,600 Scarlet Marks, I checked "Show currencies that you don't have". I then selected "Scarlet Marks" (which displayed "0") and clicked "Reclaim All". The number remained "0". I then switched tabs and returned to the "Alt. Currency" tab. At that point the "Quantity" column displayed "1600".
    Wulfhere likes this.
  6. Quatr Augur

Next bug and one that is hard to test because I haven't been able to recreate it consistently. After I log in on Test, the Inventory window is as responsive as it has always been. When I say" responsive", I mean that you can drag it around the screen and there is no lag.

However, if I stay logged on in the Guild Lobby for a prolonged period of time while performing regular maintenance tasks like banking, updating collectible achievements, etc, sometimes the Inventory window slowly becomes less responsive. You can still drag it around, but it lags behind the cursor a bit. This has happened twice, but I am not sure what is causing the problem. The first time I was working on collectible achievements, but the second time I never touched them. I did check and expand a number of other achievement windows, though.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  7. Wulfhere Augur

Are your windowed and fullsceen settings in eqclient.ini have the same dimensions? E.g. 1920x1080 or 2560×1440, etc..
  8. SteamFox Augur

Yes, custom story packages crash to desktop when clicking on any links in them. You can check #Coirnav on the Official Discord for examples of custom story packages built to assist in providing ingame information on each expansion.
  9. Midasa Elder

While trying to debug the conversion of my custom UI, I noticed that in various uiresources\default html files, there are directory paths that have a mixture of Windows and unix style \ vs /. No idea if this can cause issues, but in the past, Windows did not play nice with forward slashes.

For example, in the uiresources\default:
    index.html: <script src="./cohtml.js"></script>
    index.html: <script defer src="./index.js"></script><link href="./main.css" rel="stylesheet"></head>
    index.html: <include-body file="windows/SelectorWindow.html" />
    index.html: <include-body file="windows/StoryWnd.html" />
    index.html: <include-body file="windows/InventoryWindow.html" />
    index.html: <include-body file="windows/QuantityWnd.html" />

index_debug.html:<!-- include file name "c:\stuff\uiresources\default/windows/SelectorWindow.html" -->

Also some cases where there are unneeded insertions of ./ in a path, for example:
    index_debug.html:<!-- include file name "c:\stuff\uiresources\default/windows/./InventoryWindowInv.html" -->

I have not been able to get my custom inventory window to load, but I guess changes to the converter are coming?
    Drakah likes this.
  10. Drakah UI Designer

I have not been able to do anything to any of my custom UI's either.

The Layout Converter is far from being ready to do much with at all.
    It will not convert the InventoryWindow.xml at all with many errors.
    The converter will also NOT allow you to copy/paste the entire log of errors, only 1 by 1 (terrible).

Errors like "Suitable rule not found", "xxxx pieces not generated because suitable rule not found in library" comes up for simple things for Buttons, Pages, Screen Pieces, StaticAnimations and others. For Example, an "Inv_Seperator#"'s, and is just a basic part of the window, so thats odd that it can't even render a horizontal line. All the buttons for Money, Face, Dye, Skills, etc. the program has no idea what to do with it.

I guess will have to wait until more of a solid program is put together and updated to dig into the converting before spending time in doing this. All of my custom UI's are mostly dependent on other XML files too, so it does pose more of a challenge here.
    Angahran and Emilari like this.
  11. kizant Augur

Those lines are just comments. They're probably there just to give you an example of where SelectorWindow.html may be loaded from.
  12. Angahran Augur

Honestly I don't even know why they bothered releasing this 'program'.
    It is completely useless at this time.
    Drakah likes this.
  13. kizant Augur

Probably because it would take more work to not release it and someone may be able to provide useful feedback.
  14. Rizzin Elder

I'll double check!
  15. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Not sure if you ever found a solution to this, but I am seeing the same error for my custom UI as well. It's like the game is trying to add an extra directory to the path somehow. I've found 0 references to any "UIResources/UIResources" in the EQ directory as a whole (other than the obvious ones in UIErrors.txt).

Also, this line in the PDF is wrong:
    The config file is actually found in: "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Toadman Interactive\LayoutConverter"
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  16. Angahran Augur

Any update on when/if the working version of the converter is going to be available since, according to the producer's letter this new engine is going live in April.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Only a few windows are going to be converted in the upcoming patch and you can still use the old version of all windows for now.
  18. Angahran Augur

Yes, but it would be nice to be able to get our UIs converted and working sometime BEFORE they switch off the current engine.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

Current engine obviously can't be removed until the entire UI has been converted over to the new engine. The timeline is kind of vague, but "throughout the year" implies that's not happening this update. Not surprising the conversion tool has issues with custom UIs, it's probably being written against the default window implementations to facilitate the default UI conversion process and doesn't have rules for all the edge cases that might pop up in custom UIs.

I just hope they prioritize supporting the typical "always onscreen" windows ASAP. There's so much more you can do with the new engine in terms of both visuals and behavior that were impossible under the old engine, really want to get to work on new custom mods.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I understand but as they have only switched a few windows over now and the vast majority of them are not converted to the new system what is the rush? As they get more and more on the new system they will likely address any issues with the convertor. If you look at the patch notes they only converted 4 windows so far.