Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Gemstoner Elder

I hear you, its all speculation anyway but it does sort of fit with a TLP since presumably it would help with gearing and keying as well. I'm assuming that personal loot would include quest and key pieces as well as gear.

I also think its possible the gear drops would be made no drop heirloom as well, it would help to mitigate server economy impacts to some extent.

And yeah the Neverwinter team did sort of take over in 2020. EG7 makes alot of money getting their acquisitions to focus on added revenue from legacy games. The good news so far is that they don't seem to push it to crazy Korea mobile gaming levels, at least so far.

And yeah, its possible this is something entirely different but there's a reason that resources are being devoted to EQ for UI/server/graphical upgrades. That's an upside of EG7's business model, they are willing to support their acquisitions while adding revenue generators.
  2. Lejaun Augur

Darkpaw: What are we going to do with this year's TLP server?
    Other Darkpaw: I don't know. I'm tapped for ideas.
    Darkpaw: I know! Let's announce an experimental server that may add features to live, and just read the comment threads to dig up ideas from. We'll announce the ruleset after a month of reading comments and then have another month+ to make the necessary code.
  3. Knard The Strategic Tactician

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is reversing the nerfed items and not patching them.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm not convinced it is going to be loot based, EQ & EQ2 teams have very different approachesto TLPs. While EQ pretty much has a hands off approach to reitemizing loot, EQ2 went the other route and redid item drops.
    Fallfyres and Barton like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If EQ goes the lootbox gatcha-route I will just put a fork in it.
  6. Arclyte Augur

this

You guys need to be better consumers. The only way this happens is if you pay for lootbox slot-game crap. I can't believe some of you are actually willing to accept this garbage.
    Fallfyres, Skuz and Velisaris_MS like this.
  7. Barton The Mischievous

I agree not sure if they could even make it work with loot. Guess we will see in a "few" days
  8. Barton The Mischievous

Same.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. coltongrundy Augur

And before they existed, AOCs & Pickzones didn't feel at all "EverQuest-y". Before the DB store existed, with experience potions and clarity potions and levitate potions, it didn't feel at all "EverQuest-y". A level locked server where stuns, charms, and mezzes work on mobs way higher level than you and you get claimable rewards for other servers by killing raid mobs underleveled doesn't feel very "EverQuesty-y".

A new experimental change that they've never done before of course wouldn't feel "EverQuest-y"
    Jedis likes this.
  10. Aiona Augur

All of those made sense.
    Loot boxes that you have to pay to unlock, don't.
    You're entitled to your opinion, which is not any more right, or wrong, than anyone elses.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  11. coltongrundy Augur

When did "feeling EverQuest-y" become making sense?
  12. Triconx Augur

Literally all those fit thematically within EQ. Bought loot boxes don't.
    Fallfyres and Velisaris_MS like this.
  13. Gemstoner Elder

Broadly speaking paid expansions (with exclusive items!) also fall under the category of paying money to access loot through new content. So does paying money for a subscription. These are quintessential Everquest experiences that caused angst at the time. Now they're just the norm. Its possible I'm being pedantic, but its also true. :)

I'm neither for nor against it, but I certainly wouldn't mind adding a personal loot system for raids and/or named creatures. If it also has a DB store unlock system with it so be it, I'll use it or not as I wish. I'm not certain I'd even be the target for it since 2 or 3 raids a week exhaust me, much less being able to unlock and repeat them.

It would be a net positive to me with a less sweaty playstyle and provide more access to loot and quest drops than I'd normally have in a tlp cycle. If others used it to get more loot so what, it already happens with the folks who do more raids than I'm willing to do.
  14. Tucoh Augur

EverQuesty TLP idea: only red con mobs give xp.
  15. Enuen Journeyman

Traditional EQ? No. But modern gaming? Sure does fit.

Look around, not just at EQ but the entire gaming genre right now. Everything, literally everything, is built around loot box P2W systems. That is the present and the future, like it or not. And EQ does not exist in a vacuum - it is just one small part of a large mega-corporation now. And you think that corporation doesn't see where the rest of the gaming world is moving? They do see it, and they want their slice of pie. And the corporation knows that for every traditional customer like you that they lose, they will pick up two short-attention-span millennials who think nothing of dropping a few dollars for a loot box or cutesy skin in game. (The DB Store is full proof of that.)

The war is over, man, and the traditionalists lost.
  16. Baulkin Augur

I would rather they raise the sub cost than put in P2W gatcha. Hell offer "Premium" servers with actual GM moderation and i'd pay for that.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They used to have a server just like that with a premium sub and a lot more GM interaction but it was eventually shutdown.
  18. code-zero Augur

No matter how many GM's Stormhammer had it was never enough
  19. Triconx Augur

You clearly never played games like D2R. Zero p2w.
    Fallfyres and Aiona like this.
  20. Tucoh Augur

Just got off the phone with my contact at DPG, they are wrapping up the testing of the new TLP server rules and boy is it crazy, here's the interesting part of the upcoming announcement:

TLP Server Choice #2: Divinity
    • Building on the Community Resource Council system, the Divinity server will allow players who go through a qualification process to take the role of EQ deities, including:
      • Bertoxxulous: The Plaguebringer
      • Brell Serilis: The Duke of Below, Duke of Underfoot
      • Bristlebane: The King of Thieves
      • Cazic-Thule: The Faceless, Lord of Fear
      • Erolissi Marr: The Queen of Love
      • Innoruuk: The Prince of Hate
      • Karana: The Rainkeeper
      • Mithaniel Marr: The Lightbearer
      • Prexus: The Oceanlord
      • Quellious: The Tranquil
      • Rallos Zek: The Warlord
      • Rodcet Nife: The Prime Healer
      • Solusek Ro: The Burning Prince, Lord of Flame
      • The Tribunal: The Six Hammers
      • Tunare: The Mother of All
      • Veeshan: The Wurm Queen
    • These players, acting as deities, will have access to limited abilities ingame to support dynamic events, building on the long-standing Guide system. This may include events like:
      • Spawning deity-specific mobs with improved loot throughout the open-world
      • Spawning a deity-specific champion to assist players in a fight
      • Providing a temporary blessing to a group of players
      • Scheduling and organizing raid events in the open-world
      • Organizing fights with other deities
      • These events may not happen in instances
    • The extent of a deity's power is based on the number of active players who select them. Deities will accrue "divinity power", similar to mana, that they can consume to appear to players and provide challenges to them. This will be capped to 10% of the total divinity power accrued by all deities
    • Deities will be ranked based on total divinity power consumed over the last week
    • A deity's rank will confer a blessing in the form of a static buff to all players who select them
      • The blessing increases base stats, damage, healing and item drop bonus that triggers on the death of each mob
      • This blessing will scale downward based on the number of selectors such that a top-ranked deity with a large number of selectors may will provide a blessing that is worse than a lower-ranked but less popular deity
    • Each week, the bottom 5 ranked deities will be required to schedule and trigger an event where they must battle for their life in an open-world fight where players may either chose to defend or attack the deity
      • If the deity dies, the person controlling them will be removed and after week a new player will be chosen to take control of the deity
      • If a deity lives, their followers will receive an additional persistent buff for one week
      • The deity's level and abilities scale with the current level cap of the server
      • If this event does not happen a deity will be spawned and be game-controlled
    • Players can change deities at temples for a deity, but are still limited based on race/class selection
    • This experimental TLP is being used to pioneer a revised Guide system for Live servers and future TLPs
    KobalWR and Magneress like this.