Why do my mercs keep levitating?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Captain Video, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Captain Video Augur

No one in my group has a levitate spell. I can't be sure when it started, but recently, within the last few months. It's starting to seriously annoy me.
  2. Laronk Augur

Did you check their buffs to see if they have Dua Lipa? Cause She's Levitating
    Cicelee, klanderso, Conq and 2 others like this.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

If you are sitting in GL, someone is casting FoE or DMF. Target your merc and click it off after you zone out.
    minimind likes this.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

They should add /blockspell merc #####
  5. Captain Video Augur

I'm not hanging about in the GL or in the vicinity of any large group in PoK. There is no explanatory buff in my window, so nothing to click off. It can change when I zone, from on to off and back again. I'm more likely to see it in the afternoon/evening (my time) when the server is busy. I thought perhaps this was a known side-effect of zone lag, but if it doesn't ring a bell for any other players here...
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

It wont show in your window. You need to target the merc then look in the target window.
    minimind likes this.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

QFT
    Nennius, Moege and Kaenneth like this.
  8. Captain Video Augur

OK, I found it finally, thanks for the tips. It was a group AE called Perfected Dead Man Floating, which apparently has no timeout. Doesn't give the player name of who cast it. Odd that it would have affected each of my mercs but none of the three PCs I'm currently running. At least now I know how to get rid of it if the same idiot hits me again.
  9. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It's pretty harsh to call someone an idiot because they MGBed a beneficial spell. If I was a necro, the last thing on my mind is getting some fussy person upset because I made their mercenaries levitate.
    DaciksBB, Hdizzle, Madeni and 3 others like this.
  10. Atvar Augur

The final AA ability rank is a group buff and permanent like you say. so if you're in my group and I just rezzed or summoned a new pet, you'll be getting hit with the buff.

Is it possible the merc hasn't died in a looong time to have received it while grouped? Or maybe a necro wanted to do their part in the MGB pile and hit everyone in the area...
  11. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

They should add a cure/don't cure toggle to healer mercs as well.
  12. FYAD Augur

I hope people OP's server make it a point to buff his mercs with DMF every chance they get.
    Deux, DaciksBB and Laronk like this.
  13. Captain Video Augur

This is about what I'd expect from the forum; equal #s of responders who think a block command is a good idea vs those who think sporting (malicious) use is a good idea. Oh well.

There is only one way I could have picked this up. On my server there is a large guild (which I won't name) who, rather than use the GL, congregates 24/7 right outside the small bank in PoK. It is essentially impossible for other players to go in or out of the bank without tangling with this lag-inducing mass. I'm already doing what I can to avoid it. I have seen this particular location camped on both Live servers and TLPs.

EDIT: The mercs in my crew have never died, so far.
  14. Conq Augur

Merc's are the Devil.
    Silvena and Knifen like this.
  15. Laronk Augur

I understand why people don't want lev on themselves but, I have to ask why does it bother you that your merc is levitating?

Also I vote for block buffs on mercs.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The problem with mercs levitating is, they don't work their way down to ground level. When I used to use a tank merc, if he got lev on him, he would not tank mobs if he was floating higher than they were. He's just sit there floating in the air and watch me die :)
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Those are not mutually exclusive ideas ;)
  18. Loup Garou De loop de loop

But.......

The only way to avoid being near Necros who will cast this nefarious spell is to NOT use POK as your banking, etc zone. Or find all the necros in the zone and stay away from them. Or don't keep your merc out in POK since its not doing squat there but taking up space.

Glad you figured it out......just hope it wasn't someone in your guild that cast it last time you all were together.
  19. Laronk Augur

Ahh see this is good feedback, so if the z axis on your tank merc is too high because of lev you find he's not engaging. You should post this on the bug forums if you can.

As a paladin, I mostly only ever use wizzie mercs.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  20. Zarkdon Augur

They are high on life obviously!