God Tier 2-box groups

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by select21, Mar 23, 2023.

1. select21 Journeyman

I thought I would ask here since it's the "Veteran's Lounge". I need some veteran input.

I've been boxing a Mag/Brd on Live for the past few months, having a blast just learning about boxing. Its time to change it up though.

I'm looking for the best possible 2-box pairing. What 2-box grouping will would be the absolute best possible? I've googled, and haven't found much current info, but as of a year or two ago, I saw a lot of SK/Shm suggestions. Is this still the case? Or is there something better?

Money isn't really an option as I can buy whatever with all the farming I did with my first box group.

Thanks all.
  2. Tucoh Augur

Currently I'm running a 6box with sk/brd/sha + 3x mages.

I'd say there's no God-Tier 2box group, because even with an optimal group, with fully developed characters and with raid gear and excellent play you'll still be grinding through base-population mobs at a steady pace and be generally unable to defeat, or be very challenged by the harder group missions.

In terms of the best 2boxes, it depends on what you're doing and the quality of your boxing skills, but it doesn't get that much better than your mag/brd:
    • mag/brd
    • sk/sha
    • sk/brd
    • nec/brd
    • nec/nec
    • shd/nec
    Mages, bards, shadowknights, shamans and necromancers are really strong right now (and have been for most of EQ...).

In certain situations any of the above boxes will be the best. My favorite choice would 100% be sk/bard for pure versatility. It's the easiest duo to build a random group around because anyone (outside of another brd...) will perform great thanks to your bard and you'll be able to handle a wide variety of situations due to having a plate tank and bard. If you want a duo that will be suitable in a maximum amount of content, it's the best.

My recommendation would be to consider adding a third box and leveling a heroic shadowknight on it and running with sk/brd/mag, which is a top-tier 3box.

If you really want something different from mag/brd and want to level a new duo, an sk/sha is probably your best choice.

additional info:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/narrowing-my-choices-for-a-2-box-team.289530/

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/duo-play-with-simplicity.289339/
    Ozon, Cadira and Brickhaus like this.
  3. Zarkdon Augur

Bards are super passive to play and gain their adps. So you could "2-box" another combination and just have a f2p bard follow you going /melody.
    Tegila likes this.
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

doomguy and duke nukem
    Tatanka likes this.
  5. Belexes ForumQuester

SK/Rogue - Stuff tends to die pretty fast. :D
  6. Zalamyr Augur

Think it depends on how much effort you want to put into it, both in building the characters and playing them. There's a lot of combos that are all good for different reasons.

I'd vote mage/bard as the best low effort combo. It's not super gear reliant, as your pet does the tanking. And the bard can be played very passively.

I'd vote SK/shaman as the best high effort combo. It'll be very gear reliant, as your strength as a duo increases as your SK gets tankier. It's a bit more active as well, as both toons will need some managing, although it's still pretty manageable.

Since you're looking to change things up, I think SK/shaman would be good, as it'll play a lot different from mage/bard. Even if you don't plan on 3 boxing, I'd consider putting the SK on a 3rd account. You could use the original combo to PL the SK, and having an SK to pair with whatever else on different accounts will be very useful and powerful going forward. At the very least, don't put it on the bard account, since you will very likely at some point enjoy running some SK/bard.
  7. Notinterested Augur

You already have an incredibly potent 2 box team.

SK/BRD is dead simple and super strong. Pretty gear dependent though and wont kill as fast as your current duo.
    MAG/ENC is also incredibly strong. Chanter slow + NPT really helps the mage pet shine. I really enjoy this combo a lot.

Have you considered adding a third instead of changing up your 2 box?