Heritage crates

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Orphius the Gnome, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Orphius the Gnome New Member

So a couple of things I would like to bring up.

The first is a suggestion for Daybreak, please add a currency to heritage crates and a vendor that sells all the rare items from crates. Something like 5 heritage currency per crate and make an illusion cost 100 heritage coins? Or 150? Another suggestion would be to add a turn in quest for the armor just like the pet collector in EC tunnel. Turn in armors would reward coins to purchase different armor possibly.

I know the crates are RNG but does anyone have any averages on the crates they have opened? I have purchased 107 crates and opened another 20 from points scattered around my 9 active accounts. I know the more items a crate contains the lower the average of getting any specific item is. So the Northman crate was a poor choice to open since it has more possibly items than the halfing heritage crate. I opened 45 Northman crates and got 0 illusions and 0 mounts. I did get 3 music boxes and 9 different sets of armor, with some of those sets receiving up to 4 duplicates.

It would seem to me just off the 100+ crates I have opened (I have gotten 1 illusion and 0 mounts) that the less desirable items much more common, otherwise a crate that has 27 possible items in it (northman), shouldn't be giving me 3 music boxes and 4 sets of the same armor. I know 45 is a small sample but its pretty painful to open over a hundred crates and not get a single mount.

Opening items and flags~ The heritage items give a character flag when you fully unwrap it. The rumor mill is that if you unwrap items an fully claim them, it increases your odds of not getting that item again from a crate. Has anyone tried this? Would any Dev care to weigh in on this? or just the randomness of individual items themselves? Do flags increase odds? Are all items on the same rarity?

Please don't derail this post with a bunch of attacks on daybreak or me ...etc Please comment on if you think a heritage coin and vendor would be an awesome idea. I think it would take some of the sting out of opening so many crates and not getting a chase item.
  2. Liren_Lockheart Journeyman

I don't buy crates at all because the odds of getting the one item I want are too low for $7 a pop. Especially on progression, it's too easy to get stuck with house items or ports you won't be able to use for years.

I can and have bought cool mounts for $25-$30 a pop in this game and others direct from the store though. Your suggestion would make the boxes a bit more appealing but really, I would love an option to buy these items direct from DBG store. Right now I buy them from other players with in game currency.

TLDR; Put the Halas Polar Bear mount in the store for $25 bucks and take my money DBG. You'll never get me to open a crate.

Melusine the Siren
    Enchanter
    The Faceless
    Mischief Server
    KarmaKitty, fransisco and Rijacki like this.
  3. robber baron Journeyman

The best strat for obtaining heritage illusions and mounts is to buy them on their release. Most players are willing to sell the heritage illusion for 3-5 Krono.
  4. MustardonWatermelon Elder

I'm glad to see all the heritage crates available for purchase. I was definitely excited.

7 times I purchased $85 packs of DB coins. I think that adds up to 97 crates? I spent them all on crates. It's definitely more than I would normally spend on this sort of thing and I am fully aware that I was throwing money away. I'm an adult. RNG is RNG, but I had significantly better luck than you.

I didn't keep track of which crates I bought, but I received:

2 mounts from the dark elf crate
    2 illusions from the dark elf crate
    3 illusions from the troll crate
    1 illusion from the northman crate
    1 mount from the troll crate
    1 mount from the iksar crate
    2 mounts from the dwarf crate

I am assuming my luck was really high. Honestly, the fact that I was getting good stuff so commonly certainly is part of the reason why I kept buying crates. RNG is RNG though. Personally, I did activate any teleportation item that I had not already received, and even bought a few with plat, if the price was right. I kept thinking I would stop buying crates. I don't have any insight into whether activating the achievement for the items increases your odds at opening other items. Personally I doubt it.

I do agree with your post. While speaking personally I knew exactly what I was doing when I was buying the crates. With all that is going on in the gaming world with loot crates, I think Daybreak would be doing a good thing by making some adjustments. You offered some suggestions that would be improvements but ultimately I wonder if it's far enough.

I also think LoN packs could use the same improvements as well. I have read some other posts where other posters say things like "they don't want to offer too much in the store because of overwhelming people with choices", and some others with, "I heard they don't even know how to add new items to the marketplace" but the fact that every heritage crate is available makes me skeptical.

Ultimately, I would prefer the items to be able to sold directly in the marketplace.

I suspect there are some players who would strongly disagree with that, and that's ok.

The crates could remain as they are. I'm sure many people have lots of active accounts would still like to buy them using their free monthly coins that they have stocked up from prior months. (to point something out, with the current marketplace, a person cannot redeem their monthly reward on heritage crates as we have been able to do when there was only one crate as a reward. They want our $ obviously!)

I also think that more familiars should be pet illusions. Some of the erudite crate familiars are able to be targeted on pets and your pet has that illusion and this is awesome. I really wish more of the familiars had this option.

Two more things:

There is some inconsistency in how the items are redeemed. I forget which ones they are, but some of the items from the crates are redeemed by right clicking them. Most of them are redeemed by inspecting the item and selecting the claim button. I strongly prefer that selection, as I did accidently click a mount that I had not intended on clicking. My mistake, but consistency is always good!

Some of the rare items from crates could have better names when they are wrapped. Someone bought an item off me in bazaar and they thought they were buying a mount, but they were buying a familiar. SEVERAL people had also sent me a tell asking me why I was asking so much for the adoptable wrulan shriekpaw, as they did not realize it was a mount.
    Kaenneth, Baere and Jedis like this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

While I think this is a good idea I would be worried they would come out with what they did in response to us asking for this same thing only for the pets collections crates years ago.

But the only thing I want out of the crates are the port paintings or items. No mounts, pets etc. Just that.

What we got was Lynea the pet collector. She will purchase your excess adoptable pets for 1 Adoption coin.

Then you can buy a random discontinued pet from her using this currency. It takes 10 Adoption coins.

Many players turned in many pets and few got what they were hoping for, some even got the same thing as one of the ones they turned in.
  6. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

That's what I want, too. I got 4 outfits and a music box and my monthly grant hoard is nearly drained. I am planning to look on the bazaar but I suspect what I want is going to be pricey, not as much as mounts or illusions though.
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I've played a few Korean style action combat MMO's over the years that are totally pay to win. Even they had an option to buy cosmetics and mounts for a set dollar amount plus the gambling boxes as an option. How both games did it was to first have the gambling boxes exclusively to feed the whales and 6 months later place the items for a set price. In those games, the set priced item was tradable and I think EQ would win on that too. People would totally buy these kinds of things for their friends/guildies/partners/whoever they are playing with. Thanks for all the help you gave me getting Hunter done, here's that Illusion I know you wanted, enjoy! This is nothing but win for players and for Daybreak alike.
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

I used some of my subscription DB cash and got 3 of the Fier`dal crates in hopes of getting the Grizzly Bear mount. Got cloth armor, ringmail (cloth/leather) armor, and a picture. Booo.

If anyone wants to trade all of that on Luclin for a bear mount (because you're insane), let me know!
  9. Belvalros New Member

Is there a centralized place to see what is in each crate with pictures? the original eq announcements only show the mount/illusion while zam and google images so far are spotty at best.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The closest I have found was in Allah -but its still cumbersome. Perhaps Bonzz will make us a list - he has great graphics and all the rewards are listed under other categories he has like mounts, ports, etc already. Just needs to put them under the crate headings.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=heritage crate

and ten sometimes you will find more on page 2

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=heritage crate#Items
  11. ChiiChii Augur

Personally, I have an idea. Wouldn't it be better to remove the adoptable familiars, paintings, house building items for real estate plots and replace their rewards with something from the marketplace; e.g. a locked faction potion, mercenary/familiar amnesia, group/raid currency (aware they are on the overseer vendor), something different, practical. I tend to destroy the "junk" items from the heritage crates and the LON cards (familiars, some ornaments). I can understand the nature of the RNG system where you have to have drab, boring prizes as part of the gamble.

IIRC, Accendo mentioned how real estate items need to be reloading during every zoning is one of the major, if not primary, reasons for slow zoning or something...?
    --If correct, are there options to reduce the amount of real estate plot clutter from being offered as prizes and instead allow them to be vendor purchasable?
  12. Brickhaus Augur

I think the thought behind and purpose of the heritage crates is alluding you right now.

I also think you are not understanding why a vast majority of players are purchasing the crates.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  13. ChiiChii Augur

Gotcha. I'll accept that. No argument there.
  14. jimmythegypsy New Member

I forgot they did this and I have to say it is pretty evil of them. 10-1 exchange is ridiculous by any standard, even if you could pick the one you wanted, but randomizing it is down right wrong.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  15. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Yeah, that would be fair for something like Collection Shinies, but not for things they ask real money for.
  16. fransisco Augur

crates are like fortnite loot boxes. Its digital gambling. This sort of thing is actually illegal in some countries.
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  17. KarmaKitty Augur

85x7=$595 USD or 5x7=35 Kr. -roll the dice-, results 12 illusions or mounts at 3-5 Kr each (36 - 60 Kr).
    Sounds like you did well gambling on crates :cool:
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Lots of cash out there I guess.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

They print another trillion every month
    KarmaKitty and Nennius like this.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hmmm I just want 1%. Pleeeeeaaaaassseeee!!!!!!!!!!! :D