Consider a couple tweaks to the slayer achievements

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pikollo, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Pikollo Augur

TLPs can already get 4% in GoD so changing the suggested would only alleviate the stress of having to kill a hundred thousand mobs to get it. Making the progression more streamlined. And people would still have to actually go do it.

But it does provide benefit doesn't it? Even if the % is small it gives people something to do when they make new chars or reroll on TLPs. And at this point we are talking about moving ONE whole achievement. Just as pointless as you see it, others see it as a good and potentially quick and easy change.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Quick and easy to say as we don't know what the work involved is or the impact that the change could have. There is no reason to spend developer time on this when you will still get to the same point power wise just having to spend a little more effort to get there.
  3. Captain Video Augur

What he's trying to tell you is that they have a track record of nerfs and restrictions in early content, to compensate for the effect of power creep. We already have MotM, and a while back they took away all focus effects pre-Luclin. There are other examples if I took the time to think about it. So... make enough noise about your latest suggestion, and they might do exactly the opposite of what you want. But you sound more intelligent than any of us, so you do what you think best.
  4. Pikollo Augur

"A little more effort" is an understatement. Again starting at the end and working backwards. You sounded pretty confident before knowing how much work was involved and therefor it wasn't worth it. So as Frank said. If its an easy switch then why not? It benefits everyone. If its a hard one? Then nothing lost right? My guess is it would take a dev less effort to flip that one switch then it would a single person to do Force of Nature from start to finish. The difference being we all benefit from it.

You guys make up your mind. Some of you say 2% to 4% is an insignificant boost. So what does it matter? You also can't get to 4% (change or no change) until GoD. So anything pre-GoD doesn't have to be discussed in the conversation. But either way if its so insignificant then we don't have to worry about power creep right?

To be fair I've said a few times I don't know what would be involved on the dev side to make a change. I've also said its not about me personally. If you think I'm more intelligent then I appreciate the compliment. But I'll argue the point that the achievements are obviously backwards all day. And if it doesn't take much effort to flop em then why not? It benefits all of us.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is still able to be completed on a TLP server with no issues, sure it takes more work but you will have to do that extra work eventually anyway if you want to max it.

I have never referred to the boost from 2% to 4% rather the change from the old system that only had a chance to proc on mobs and the new system with a focus that works for everything. Even without any of the improvements the base 2% level is going to be better for everyone on the server.

You can argue that all you want but that doesn't make it right. The achievements got setup based on what the devs wanted at that time and just because they don't make sense to you or others now doesn't mean that they should change. You are still going to be able to get the same level of banestrike just with different achievements and you have to get them all if you want to max it.
  6. Pikollo Augur

Others have referenced the jump not being significant. I didn’t specially mean you Warring.

And you are right. They got set up at the time when the order completion didn’t matter right? Because you killed x amount of a single creature and got banestrike. Now the order does matter and warrants looking in to. Is it able to be completed? Yes. Should we have to do the longest and hardest one first? No we shouldn’t. You want to act like “just because it can” makes it all right. You have to go through most of the other ones to finish that one. Instead of making a new char and gradually getting force of nature (as I supposed was the intention of setting the bar so high) you’d have to do it first to get an upgrade. It makes zero sense to force players into a long and tedious achievement instead of flipping ONE achievement so they can gradually do it.

How are you some kind of community whatever when you argue against your community with valid points? Just because “it’s ok you can still do it”. You know damn well I’m right. Just admit it.
    Rasper Helpdesk and Crabman like this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The order completion still doesn't matter as you are still able to complete it on a TLP and you would still have to complete it if the order changes, just can do it later.

The banestrike changes are not intended to do anything with the achievements, just a change to reduce the amount of procs and hopefully reduce lag.

Just because you think something is a valid point doesn't mean others have to agree with you.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Pikollo Augur

I don’t disagree. No one has to agree with me (even though several have). At the same time you don’t have to disagree with everyone which seems to be all you do. Again you’re supposed to be a community what? And you disagree with your entire community? Lol.

Once again and to your point. The achievements were made before an order matters. Now it does. It’s an easy change to put the achievements in order. It doesn’t matter what the update was about. They made a change. They can consider this change too.

If it does not effect you stop speaking out against it. Stop replying just to be right. What I asked is a small ask. I promise if it were to change it won’t hurt you and there will be other posts you can argue with people in.
  9. Ishbu Augur

There just is no need to make any changes.

Could it be done in a more logical order based on TLPs? Sure, but so can lots of other things that would be far more important, and yet remain left alone.

Really this whole thread comes down to a matter of personal perception. The OP considers killing a commonly found mob type or types to be the most challenging category to compete, while I would consider killing smaller amounts of many many more and different mobs, some of which are not very populous and not low level, to be more challenging. From my perspective things are just fine in the current order of possible attainment.
    Waring_McMarrin and Yinla like this.
  10. Captain Video Augur

I think devs should cease and desist all other development in the game until they fix it so it no longer rains in underground caverns and passageways. It isn't logical. This isn't just my perception, it's general knowledge. Anyone who tries to argue with me about this is clearly doing so solely for the sake of argument, so they should just stop. I give you all my personal assurance that the game will be better as a result.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Be careful what you wish for, it would be just as easy for them to lock these achievements behind the expansion the achievements were released in.

As for the order, swings and roundabouts. As someone said killing lots of low level mobs is easier than killing a few of higher level mobs. It may mean in future TLP players use different leveling paths to get some of these high mob count achievements.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yet you seem to keep getting upset that I disagree with you and point out that your suggestion isn't a needed change.

You can still get all the achievements and you would still have to do the same work which makes me question why you would want devs to spend time on it instead of other things.
  13. Pikollo Augur

And yet you make replies like that trying to put me in a bad light lol. All I did was bring up a valid, small ask that made complete sense and if it wasn't a huge issue to change then why not change it? Warrin argues with me in every post and every post I've seen him in. So yes I assume he comes here just to argue with his community. Your previous post about not assuming what the devs say/do/want is exactly what Warrin does all the time. But I am the bad guy because I make a valid point and someone argues against it and I clap back?

@ishbu and @yinla . The progressive achievement is around 9,000 kills (Not counting the ones I mentioned could be switched). Force of Nature is around 130,010 kills. Most all of Force of Nature is low level mobs. There won't be alternative xp paths as you out level it all fast. Not to mention you have to open/kill 5000 inanimate objects. This achievement (I assume) is designed to be completed over a long stretch of time. Rerolling on a TLP or making a new char means mindlessly killing another 130,010 mobs instead of going zone to zone killing 100 at a time to get to 4%. I understand where you 2 come from but progressively these achievements could be/should be switch.

Yet you seem to keep getting upset that I disagree with you and point out that your suggestion isn't a needed change.
    I'm not upset with you. More like incredulous of your stance against it. Its a small ask. Putting the achievements in a progressive order for new chars/TLP players seems like the logical thing to do. It doesn't seem like it would be much effort. It would make no one mad but a lot of people happy.
  14. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Changing the icon for blue diamonds wasn't a needed change... but they did it anyway.

Changes aren't required to be "needed" That's what bug fixes etc. are for. There have been tens of thousands of changes to EQ that weren't "needed" but provided a better player experience.

You just want all dev time to be focused on the aspect of the game you care about.
    Rasper Helpdesk and Pikollo like this.
  15. Captain Video Augur

It can be done in the tutorial. Anytime I have reason to roll a new toon and run it through the tutorial, I always make sure to get this one. If you're going to take the time to level up all your weapon skills before leaving the tutorial, this is very easy to do as you go along.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are right they have done changes that are not "needed" before and they will continue to do so. However that doesn't mean that people are not allowed to provide feedback on a suggestion that they feel is an unneeded change.
  17. Pikollo Augur

So when you make a toon your first thought is "let me spend 10 hours in the tutorial killing barrels"? Your weapon skills will max faster then that. I think I wanna call BS on this one lol.
  18. Pikollo Augur

That's sort of the point. Provide that feedback. But don't shut people down with your comments. Providing feedback is different then replying with finality like you are the decision maker. I always welcome constructive feedback. Its the way you reply to people.

Here let me provide an example.

Me:They should change this achievement. It'd make things better.
    You:That does make more sense but I think they should spend time elsewhere.
    Me:Maybe it wouldn't be a hard fix or maybe they'd find the time.
    You:Maybe. I just hope other things can get done too.
    Me:Ya me too.

See? We'd still be friends.
    Wyre Wintermute and Tweakfour17 like this.
  19. Captain Video Augur

I don't think you've played this game much at all. Melee have quite a few weapon skills (can be 1H/1P/1S/2H/2P/2S/H2H) plus Offense/Defense/Dodge/Parry, and that's just what's unlocked by level 10. You need blue cons to get skill points, and you quickly out-level everything except some kobolds. Once you ding 13, nothing there will aggro you except the bosses, and you can roam freely and open barrels as fast as you can. It can be done that way, quite a few have done it, and it doesn't take nearly as long as your method.
  20. Pikollo Augur

Fairly sure barrels/boxes (or whatever was in the tutorial) don't attack you back so adding in defensive skills is moot to your previous post about killing inanimate objects for the achievement. Not to mention it depends what class you roll that determine how many of those skills you can use. Also (according to Zam) the objects in gloomingdeep are level 1. So when you get to 13 they wouldn't give you skill correct? So lets assume you meant opening them as you level up killing other mobs. If you are able to open 1 every 10 seconds (6 a minute) it would take you around 13 hours to complete.

So do you spend 14-15 hours in the tutorial every time you make a char?
    Rasper Helpdesk likes this.