TLP idea - A Democratically-created server.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phire, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Phire Journeyman

I'm quite sure there are ways to do it with EQ.

I feel like the only reason someone would be truly against this is if their own personal ideas got an undue amount of attention and a more democratic process would undermine that.
  2. Phire Journeyman

I thought it was kind of a given that giving your customers what they want, is, literally, how you make money.
  3. Appren Gnomercy

You think you want this, but you don't.

My seven or so accounts that could be activated (six are), and all have various high level old characters available are ready to swing the poll towards whatever my personal goals are anyway.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Vindar Augur

There's ways to prevent this though, quite easily.
  5. Appren Gnomercy

Not very democratic then. One subscription, one vote! :)
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Vindar Augur

One person able to vote multiple times is as undemocratic as it gets.
  7. NImxat Elder

Another issue is that most won't take the time to vote or may not even see the poll. They will however "vote with their feet". That is if they do not like the server they will not buy subscription or in-game items. So, the end result is that the poll is unsuccessful.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How do you determine if subscriptions are multiple people from the same family playing or a single person?
  9. Iyacc Augur

Voting wouldn't work. What about all of the people who are happy on their current server and don't actually WANT a new one? I can see a movement for people to vote for PVP or something equally unpopular that many would never even try. Your democracy server would be a dumpster fire of bad ideas and even worse intentions.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

From what I remember that is what some did in the past.
  11. Phire Journeyman

Well, ultimately it's up to Daybreak if they want to try this out, and the idea is out there now, and I'm sure they can come up with a reasonable voting system if they want to.

I'm not sure what the objection is to this from those of you who live on the forums exclusively and don't really play EQ anyway is exactly, but from my understanding ya'll shoot down EVERY new server idea anyway, so I'm not too concerned about it.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And they have tried out this idea in the past as they have an in game polling system that they used to get players opinions. They have also stopped using it as it did not get the results that they wanted.
  13. Phire Journeyman

Which TLP server was created in the method I mentioned above? Like what's the name of it?
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Maybe it was the 51/50 server? I don't remember all the details just that they have done this in the past and they stopped doing it.
  15. Lejaun Augur

Not necessarily created, but there has been instances in the past where there was a vote to move on to the next expansion. It was highly manipulated and caused quite a few issues, as people with too many votes and some who didn't even play on the server influenced how the server moved along.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Here it is.

https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-51330

17. Phire Journeyman

Yeah, voting just to move to a new expansion is....like completely different.
  18. Phire Journeyman

So basically, they just gave a list of pre-made options...

Yeah, not really the same.
    Especially considering all of those options are done and done again and boring as heck at this point.

Mischief/Thorneblade are doing quite well and they have a completely new ruleset.....
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It has been shown that polling can produce bad results and you think that providing a free form poll won't result in worse results. Not to mention even if they had a place for people to provide suggestions they would have to narrow it down to a few set choices before a poll could be given to the players.

Also it should be noted that the poll in question happened in 2009 which was just 3 years after the first progression server so it wasn't repeating options that are boring at this point in time.

The fact that Mischief/Thornblade are doing well as a server have nothing to do with the problems that have happened when they have used in game polling options in the past and gotten less then desirable results.
  20. Aiona Augur

Let us step out of the vacuum for a second. :)

Of course they exist to make money, and one of they ways they make money is by gauging customer interest, producing content and changes based on that expressed customer interest, and then validating the efficacy of those efforts by measuring the increase or decrease in income post change.