die and start over

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Blooddraw, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And as I said many people would not want to end EQ (or any game) like that. Sure people would not be happy with the end of EQ but that doesn't mean they want to end with some sort of lame Permadeath PvP event instead of playing like normal until the end.
  2. Cloud the Third Augur

I guess people are different but if they said the server would not be shutdown until every player is gone and the only way for a player to be gone is permadeath it could mean everyone could play for years after the final shutdown date. That or just hey on this date the game is over and you can't login. It would be something special for the end.
  3. Cloud the Third Augur

They could even do something like that when a server is getting taken down and the characters are being moved to another server. It would be interesting to see what would happen because you don't lose your toon because they are on the other server but the server that is dying you could have some fun one-time massive arena PvP rumble. Remove all rules so you could use training to try to kill other people but would be at risk because if you are training 100 mobs on someone and they can summon and someone attacks one and makes it summon you then you die.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would they ever say that? A game company would never use logic like that to sunset a game and when it comes time to sunset Everquest they will just provide us a date that all game servers will shut down. They might do some special events during that time but they have no reason to kill off all of the characters and players wouldn't want that in the first place.

Maybe that could be something for a game that is designed to be fully PvP from the start but for a PvE game that is just a horrible idea that will cause player hate for no reason.
    Rijacki likes this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I will settle for a server shutdown that is peaceful. I remember sitting outside my house in Star Wars Galaxy watching the sunset till the disconnect happens.
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would guess a lot of players have a place they would like to go to to either wait for the servers to shut down or camp out for the final time.
    Rijacki and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  7. Cloud the Third Augur

Well this thread was more about permadeath not really PvP so you don't have to have PvP but when the server is shutdown everyone left would only have 1 more life to live after the shutdown date. I threw in PvP just because it could mean people trying to be the last would just afk in a safe spot of pok until everyone else playing died which kinda means the server maybe would never go down.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, most players in EQ don't want PvP let alone permadeath. When Everquest gets sunsetted most players will want to continue playing just like they are today and play until the servers go down and likely trying/doing things for a last time.

In general permadeath is a very bad idea for Everquest as there are many things that kill players with no possibility of avoiding it.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. uberkingkong Augur

I like this idea, I think it should only happen in raids and put in Live server.
    Also, if you don't get rezzed in 2 minutes then it happens.
    So you can die in raids but if your dead longer than 2 minutes back to lvl 1.
    Can't pop mercs in raid, better get that rezzer to rez you quick enough!

It would make raids interesting.
    Oh only on the current expansion raids as well.

This is a good idea.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

With all the mechanics that can kill a player through no fault of their own this would be a quick way to kill EQ.
    Nennius likes this.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The worst part of the Discord servers was that it was PvP enabled. Most people didn't die to mobs but instead other players coming up on them and killing them out of the blue.

I always was curious how a PvE Discord server would have faired.

Also, there were people who got to at least the 50s on Discord. Some guilds did Naggy and Vox Raids. I don't remember how high they went though.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Umm...you do realize the game is run on hardware that is in a location requiring electricity and an Internet connection. A company would not let the computers continue to run for a game they've sunsetted since they wouldn't want to continue to pay those bills.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Besides the devs dont have to code anything for this. Just delete your toons whenever you die... presto chango you got what you want and the rest of us will go on getting rezzed :)
    Nennius and Rijacki like this.
  14. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Yup.
    You can be hardcore on any server. Don't use the shared bank to move stuff between characters, no plat or stuff from other characters, don't get claim items, delete the character and start over when you die. No special server needed. Sure, you won't have a server wide leader board, but you could create a "hardcore" guild of like-minded players and use the guild roster as your leader board.
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Gnomereaper Augur

Return of a new Discord server would be a great addition to the server options. Limited time only event server, but if it proves popular keep up communication and do them some what frequently.
  16. Cloud the Third Augur

Not really true, very few people cannot use something that is available to them to use. Sure some people can but few. Until you force it to be hard rarely will people make it hard on purpose.
  17. Fenthen aka Rath

This is a great concept if the game actually worked correctly.
  18. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

You can CHOOSE to do it on any server. If there was a server with a hardcore ruleset, no one would be compelled to play there, so you would also have to choose to play there. It is highly unlikely such a server would not also have krono or the Marketplace since those are income streams for Daybreak. Unless you also want those restricted in which case what you're asking for is even less likely to ever occur since it would likely be low population as well.