Bazaar listing limit

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zugren, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

We don't have to speculate as they have said why they haven't done it in the past. The stated reason in the past is the scope of things this would impact (a wide scope the impacts all merchants among other things) and the reward that the change would give. The last time that they gave an update on it they stated that the amount of work involved and the results they would gain don't make worth pushing to the top of the work list. They don't seem to care about the inflation it might cause and prices of items have been beyond the limit for a while on all servers. Things like chase, heritage create, lon items and krono can easily exceed the limit.
  2. FYAD Augur

That's....... not how economy works. The current limit is not for any designed anti-inflation protocol, it's purely a coding deficiency. They need to ditch the bazaar, full stop, and replace it with a wow-style, modern mmo auction house.
    Ssdar, Barton and filthytlpplayer like this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

That does not mean its the only reason. It is just the reason that generates the least flak. Do you really believe they always tell us the whole story? I am skeptical of that. But as long as the limit stays where it is I am happy as I think its better for the game overall.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually it is how it works. Folks sell items for less then they would if they could just leave it up in the baz and wait for that one person who will pay their price. Items over 2 mill sell for less because many can't be bothered or interested in selling items for the absolute most they can get by yakking about it in general chat.

Ebay. Tons of those items would be selling for a lot less if folks had to do more work then popping an ad on Ebay. So yeah it is how it works.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Are you really suggesting that they are not increasing the bazaar price limit because it will increase inflation even as they increase the rate at which plat enters the game with each expansion? The main cause for inflation in the game is the increasing plat supply not the price that items can sell for.
    Ssdar likes this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And the folks who want a baz limit change admit they sell stuff for less in general because it is a bit of a pain to do. That just proves my point.

And if DBs reason is just the technical issues in doing it nothing I say will change their mind they will do it when they think its worth the work involved. And that makes the pro and con arguments moot. It's just fun to discuss stuff.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think that what you are referring to is people accepting less for an item rather they are not selling them in the first place. If someone is selling an item in /general there is no reason for them to lower the price they are willing to accept for it at all.

Not being able to sell items for what they are worth is good for the game? Items have been worth over 2 million plat for a long time and it also likely prevents them from selling other lower priced items in the bazzar as well.

No matter how you look at it inflation isn't happening because people can sell items for more rather it is happening because more plat is entering the game each expansion.
    Ssdar likes this.
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It's like watching an unstoppable force having a debate with an unmovable object.
    Nennius, zugren, Ssdar and 1 other person like this.
  9. Svann2 The Magnificent

If you look at EQ history this has happened before.
    Back in the days when people sold stuff in the EC tunnel there were complaints too. People asked "other games have an auction house, why do we have to put up with this spam lag"? The answer was "this is not other games". And it went on like that for a quite a while. Finally it got so bad they did something about it.
    Ssdar likes this.
  10. FranktheBank Augur

Bazaar limit is bad and dumb. People defending it are being obtuse and inventing reasons just to be difficult. Bazaar limit should be removed (see: set to ridiculously high number).
    Buds, Ssdar, MmmmBop and 1 other person like this.
  11. MustardonWatermelon Elder

Blah blah blah technical limitations of plat, blah blah blah we all know that song.
    Krono is already a currency in game (it can be bought and sold with plat in bazaar).

How hard could it to be to enable krono as a pricing option in buying or selling something?
    IE: set a selling price in /trader that includes krono (and platinum to act as change) and the ability to do the same with /buyer.

It's not a perfect solution, as people still would need to buy/sell krono, but at least they could exclusively use the bazaar to do so, and not deal with stupid nobles. Or at least get rid of the plat exchange loss with nobles.

I'm sure these are not new ideas...but hey. Whatever.
    Buds likes this.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

For all we know, this might be one of the future benefits of upgrading the UI. If so, they might not want to say anything yet because people always want something last week that takes more effort to be able to change.
    Svann2 likes this.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The bazaar cap in no way prevents inflation. The cost of ultra rare items is now based on Krono. So on servers like FV you have multiple Krono for a single item. The same is true on other servers just for fewer Krono. The only thing that the bazaar limit does is force people to convert plat to Krono to buy items, or to not buy items at all. There are tons of people who have no interest in buying Krono just to buy another item. We would rather just pay the plat for the item and the the seller can buy a Krono themselves.

The only people who benefit from the bazaar limit being in place are the people who deal in Krono. The Plat limit in the bazaar does not affect new players at all. What the new players are only going down with time. Returning players similiarly are not going to be hurt by it either. They can play in their gear. and level up as needed.

The 35k plat is a starting fund for buying basic things in the game, not gear or Krono, seeing as a full set is given to that is better than when those levels were new. 35K today is just as much as 25k was in 2014. The 35k isn't a wage or payment. It is a starting point, to cover things like moving augs, new spells and the like.

The inflation happens faster because of the Bazaar/Barter limit. Because people cannot sell above 2 million numerous items are effectively forced to be sold in chat channels and such rather than in the bazaar. The Prices of Krono would drop if the bazaar limit was removed.
    Nope, the bazaar limit being removed would be 100% about ease of use. There are lots of people who have no interest in dealing with Krono and still just sit on their plat. If you remove the limit, prices on tons of items would drop, chief among them Krono.

The only people benefiting from the bazaar limit being in place specifically are those who farm Krono and do RMT. The people who sell items can just as easily convert plat to Krono as anyone else. Everyone could get Krono for cheaper without the bazaar limit.

Players who have bothered to play into the 80s are not rich because they have chosen not to be rich. There are numerous ways to make over a million in a matter of weeks with little to no difficulty; just time investment.

DB gave up on plat sinks because it never worked, and it was never going to work. It is really just impossible for players to spend more plat with all the plat sinks ever created than is created on each server every day. The whole idea of plat sinks was ill-conceived from the start. People have to need or strongly want to use the sink for to work and need to use it regularly for it to actually counter the amount of plat introduced into the system, but that would only harm the people who you claim to be defending becuase they are the only ones who would be hurt by the plat sinks.

You've brought no data to the table, yet are asking for others to bring some?

The Blood-soaked drop was an example of a situation outlining how the plat limit hurts everyone. There are tons of items which new and returning players can get their hands on which sell for more than the 2 million limit. The best example is Krono. New players especially are disadvantaged. They cannot sell in the chat channels because they are new and the game automatically flags them as spam if they talk too much in chat channels, so if they actively try to sell the Krono they bought from DB, no one will see it. Similarly, if a person wants to try and buy a Krono but they don't have time to wait for someone who is interested in their offer, then they get screwed again by the bazaar limit.

It is not hard to find items which will sell well in the bazaar if you are willing to put in a little time getting them. New players don't need a lot of money, while leveling up they are time to gather and sell items rather easily. With the only upkeep being the cost of the merc, if they even do that.
    Ssdar likes this.
  14. MmmmBop Wise Troll

I have about a half dozen items sitting in my inventory that I'm sure the player base would love to use, but which I'm not motivated to sell because I'd rather not spend time spamming general chat. I'm also not throwing this stuff in the bazaar at 2 million because that's just stupid. Instead, about once a month I list them for sale in general and if I get a tell within 15 minutes I make the deal. Otherwise, back to inventory for another month... and maybe the bazaar in a year or 2 when the values drop.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one doing this as most people who play EQ are there to play EQ, not trader.

Is this helping the EQ community? Is this helping new and returning players? Uh, I don't think so. But this is what it is until the bazaar limits get raised. And if / when that happens you can be sure that a lot of stuff rotting in people's inventories is going to hit the market. Heck, it might actually cause prices to drop when supply skyrockets from actually having a place to auction your stuff while you are offline.
    Ssdar likes this.
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

People don't sell any items that are uniformly valued above 2 million in the bazaar. They don't sell it for less because they are lazy. If they are lazy and selling an item they only advertise it once or twice when they log on and/or before the log off. If they get a buyer great otherwise they wait. They may be willing to take less than the standard price but when they standard price is multiple Krono they are not taking just 2 million for it.

You are wrong. I actually do eBay at work. Items that should sell for more regularly go for less. The only exception are when something is brand new and scalpers drive up the price. Over time prices go down. Sellers on eBay drop their prices if the items are not selling, because if the items are not selling they are not making money. If eBay introduced a price cap, then they would drive people away from their site. It would not cause prices to drop.
    MmmmBop likes this.
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think when stuff was worth just a bit over the plat limit it may have got people to just sell in bazaar for 2M and slowed inflation, but that was years ago and only for a few months. It just doesnt work like that anymore. If someone knows they can get 5 krono they arent going to sell it for 2M. Go ahead and search bazaar for blood-soaked and see if you find any.
    Fenthen and MmmmBop like this.
  17. Moirraine Apprentice

And it's really annoying for people who play non-standard hours, or raid a lot during peak hours. I've been trying to track down a couple goblin illusions for months. They aren't ever in the bazaar, because 2m plat is about 1/2 of a krono on my server. Most would hope to get 1-3 krono for a desirable illusion.

So, I can stare for hours at general and hope, add to the spam hoping that someone holding a goblin illusion happens to be staring at general, or simply ask around among friends. And so, no gobbie alts.

I'm the meantime, I have numerous non-goblin illusions sitting in my bank which are definely worth more than 2m, but not worth missing a raid or mission run or whatever to hawk in general.

Fixing this rather basic economic conundrum is why most types of currency (In and out of games) exist. Can we have nice things too? Please!
    MmmmBop likes this.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

I suggest either make a gina trigger or use EQ's audio trigger (cntl Z I think) so if someone mentions it you hear it. Not that I dont agree bazaar price cap should be increased when they can.
    MmmmBop likes this.
  19. Deacon Wolfe New Member

Add a new coinage, or use the ones you can by rare items from marcia as a buying item in the bazaar. each one of those coins are around 100k plat.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That wouldn't solve the problem as prices are stored in copper in the backend so it doesn't matter how much the currency you use is worth.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Fenthen like this.