Test Update 03/07/2023 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Sounds like alot of ppl dont like the new bane because they might have to get the achievements its sad people have become so lazy and out of curiousity when did they indent jagged forest hunter? yet vaniki is still normal dont make sense. Cant wait for the Achievement Aug.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And 11 years later they decided to change the system as they have done in the past to correct issues they have seen with it. Just because that was how it was at launch doesn't mean it has to stay that way.
  3. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

What is this achievement augment that you speak of?
  4. Tucoh Augur

Aug that evolves with achievements. It'll never happen.
    Yinla and Svann2 like this.
  5. aiha Saryrn [Bertox]

Aspect of the Brood is shrinkable now, but forgot Steamsuit was in shared bank when I testcopy, so couldn't check.
  6. Sonavaa_Bertox Elder

So yes, a long time ago, when BS was released, I (a casual Wizard) often tried to Banestrike some mob I had achieved the functionality on. It never landed. Why? I later found out that there was a ranged component to the Banestrike and I was always at max distance from the target. Getting within a melee range (at least, it seemed to be melee range, and I often got my A... handed to me at that point) landed the BS, but this whole PET thing reveals a lot to me that I never understood.

Those pets that are 'summoned' but not visible aren't considered DD/instant spells (in fact, wouldn't they be pets that use DD/instants?) and therefore don't have the added range from any number of passive augs/aa's and wow, just imagine if 54 people are casting a pet spell every 15 seconds or so, even if they are invisible, that's 54 more sprites to track that get put into a raid and then have to run their own calculations to see if they qualify to even attack the mob in question. Even as a proc that's some serious I/O happening.

I've been away for nearly two years. You've explained so much in all your posts about this. It may not solve lag, but that many less pet summons in a zone has got to make some kind of difference.
  7. Magickon Augur

The vast majority of what I am seeing in this thread is about the change to slayer. Something that no one really cared about before since it did no damage at all. So they realize that it causes lag, so they fix it by making banestrike work on everything. Ok. Some people complain about how much time it takes to complete it or that it should not be that much of a boost. Some people that are level 120 and could have been playing that character for over 20 years are happy that it is being changed to give another significant dps and healing boost that characters have never had, find any way they can to insult someone who thinks otherwise.

Anyone who ever says anything about not liking the change are ultimately bullied in multiple ways. There are a few comments from people who imply that because some poster does not know the complete history of how banestrike was originally added that their opinion does not matter. It makes absolutely no sense at all. Banestrike has not changed significantly in a long time. My kid has never had crystal pepsi and likely has never even heard of it. Should I scold him for liking pepsi even though they don't know about crystal pepsi?

What I really want to know is how people feel about casting level 65 spells for gift of mana procs to be able to cast level 120 spells. I'm sure wizards and druids are happy.
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The range problem had nothing to do with the pet. It was because the spell had a low range.

It was originally 70, (father than "melee range," but still much closer than "normal" offensive spell range which is 200), then it was increased to 160, and then finally 500.

From EQResource's spell history:

Not necessarily. It depends on how the the actual damage spells are triggered. When things are scripted they don't always have to obey normal game rules.

I don't think they actually attack or do anything, so that probably isn't an issue. Normal pet/npc lag has to do with calculating pathing which isn't as big of a problem if there is no movement.
    Emilari and Sonavaa_Bertox like this.
  9. MustardonWatermelon Elder

Why would you not compare it while not using any focus effects?
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Because with focus effects is more relevant than without. Im not saying its bugged, Im saying it doesnt matter as much as people think.
  11. MustardonWatermelon Elder

Your focus effects are variable. If you're trying to compare the banestrike change, wouldn't it be better to eliminate any variables possible, especially with such a short duration of a comparison?
  12. Riou EQResource

Because there is no downside to the Banestrike change, it is a boost to everyone except maybe the first like 6 months of a TLP where the procs damage probably is > small % gain, and it has a bunch of upsides

The small minority of people posted against it so far are basically people who don't want to do it, and they don't have to

It's also not a bad system like old Hunters was when it was being used/proposed for like Evolving items and what not since you aren't camping something for a week hoping for a 0.1% Named spawn chance, for Slayer you kill a mob you get +1 update straight up, no annoying RNG
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

I did follow up with a measure using a chant. With a chant I can see what base damage it is. That is, if I watch for several ticks I will see a specific number that repeats when there is no partial resist and no crit. This is the non-variable damage. It turned out that chants gain just 2.2% total base damage.

I could follow up the follow up with our insults (DD) and again with just melee, but dont see a need at this point. After other focus and aa gains, the BS gain is just not super OP. Worth doing, but not game changing.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure they are variable but in reality you are going to be using them when it matters anyway and the dps gain that they give without anything else isn't that useful.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That is nothing different to how the old banestrike worked. None of the slayer achievements have been added or taken away. It is an advantage on TLP servers if anything as now you only have to complete 1 acheivement to get Banestrike on all mob types rather than unlock banestrike on every mob.

This is a huge increase for TLPs.
    Emilari likes this.
  16. Magickon Augur

I suppose we disagree. It is not fair to assume that a person that is against it only has that opinion because they don't want to do it. Ultimately the point of my post is that a lot of people are not taking things into consideration because they are not affected by them. One example of this is they think that because TLP's cannot get the third boost until Veil of Alaris, and they think that TLP's usually do not last until Veil of Alaris that it somehow doesn't matter? That reasoning is incorrect and unfair. There are multiple servers that started out as TLP's that are now in NoS and the players on Coirnav are also going to be in NoS soon. And for the TLP's that are not yet at Veil of Alaris what will this change mean for them? The greater these boosts become, further trivializes the content they are going to be playing in.

Regarding the comparison to evolving items and hunters, I am assuming you are talking about the gloves from the burning lands. That is not really a fair comparison, as they were not a direct increase to damage (other than the cold focus) or healing. Not to mention that in order to maximize a person's dps (or healing) not every class even really cared about the gloves. And that's ignoring that hunter achievements for named are able to be shared across zones where slayers require you to be in the same zone. The other evolving items had more than enough slots for the damage increasing augments they could obtain at the time.

While some named are more common than others, mentioning a .1% chance to spawn is an overstatement, but slayer is no different really. Some of the slayer achievements are significantly easier than others, due to the number of targets available to earn it and how quickly they can be killed. But the number of mobs required to earn it are the same. It's likely the kill counts were chosen arbitrarily, and it sure seems to be true with the new reward.
  17. Warpeace Augur

Yes you are, how many people need to tell you you're wrong about it?
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So wizzys are in a worse position after this patch than they were before?
    Albeit by a small amount
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No a lot of people don't like it because it is not an equal increase across all classes.

The high DPS classes get more out of it as their base damage is larger to start with. Previously each and every class got the same same amount of damage from banestrike every 60 seconds
    Captain Video likes this.
  20. kizant Augur

The sorcerer's vengeance bug fix is why proc damage went down. Banestrike is a good increase.