If 2023 TLP is PvP TLE server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by uberkingkong, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Jedis Arch Mage

A PvP TLP server is a waste of dev resources, especially when they are so scarce and desperately needed elsewhere. Zek was never high population in its heyday, and this one won't be any different now.
    Skuz and Lejaun like this.
  2. Ruban New Member

The zek servers didnt have instances in their heydays. There wasnt anywhere to go for a small group or guild where you could gear up without the big guilds coming and grief you. Same for red99. So in the end all the casual players quit leaving a ghost town.

I think a tlp would be the best pvp server so far. Brawl for the ow stuff and groupable things and instances to go and gear the smaller guilds without being smashed or trained every 15 mins. I do agree with the more vocal people on here that we re probably never going to see such a server. But i think it would be alot of fun to play if it happened one day.
    Taxman's Right Hand likes this.
  3. Jedis Arch Mage

And I suspect this is exactly what would happen. People would hide in instances so that they couldn't be griefed. It would turn into people camping at the Agent of Change's to gank people as they zone out.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And actions like that is what drove players away from the servers.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  5. Lejaun Augur

Yep. Zone into Commonlands. Dead before you can even move. Recover and continue your run to Agent to do ra aid. Run around trying to survive while raid gets requested and zone populates. Zone in, have to sit around while you wait for everyone who died at the agent.

Go to camp something for your gear or epic or whatever. Finally get a camp. Box or bot crew comes in, kills you because they have a virtual army with them.

Now imagine it with a big portion of the server with these multiple box/bots and radar. Here come 6+ pets at you plus whatever else they have, and you can't hide because they can just "track" you.
    Crabman and Appren like this.
  6. Lejaun Augur

I don't think PVP promoters can even remotely grasp the amount of complaints their customer service would get.
  7. Dmitry Elder

Jesus Christ you know that there is readily available software that allows someone to take a raid mob from your zone and drop it on you? Why in god's name would PvP be a good idea?
  8. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

That would be sick. Free loot.
  9. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

in fact; If you see me in game please bring me all the raid mobs.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

Was watching this

Somewhere toward the end of the video, someone helping them, I'm assuming its a live server.
    10:30 "You should enable PvP, you get more xp"

Got me thinking,
    GW2, ESO, WoW, pretty much every MMORPG they embrace PvP.

Everquest, PvP the mere thought of it scares people.
    EQ players will blame on balance but GW2, ESO, WoW, every PvP MMORPG has balance issues. So thats not really the problem.

Need to look into the ruleset. Thats the issue.

Comments of the video,
    Im 22 and play mmos for pvp and just found you. BEing close in age I relate to your stories. You earned a sub from me. Hope to see you in game sometime! Happy Hunting! WOuld be happy to help explain things more in depth in WoW, if I see you!
    Wheres the EQ PvP scene? In other games. Other games have more players, gee I wonder why. They must be enjoying PvP in an MMORPG that EQ is afraid of.

Ruleset, EQ has the worst style of PvP for the game.
    EQ players, especially non PvP'ers they are kind of ignornant.

Go play Zek. Why don't you show up Zek then?
    Theres other styles of PvP then FFA, FFA is not the most popular style either that doesn't even exist some MMORPGs. Like GW2, there is no such thing as FFA.

Theres no 8 person battle royal, no 300 person battle royal.
    Team vs Team
    Horde vs Alliance
    Server vs Server

EQ they don't realize they can do so much in PvP. Stuck with Rallos Zek is the only option and it has hardly anyone mindset won't get you far. Also, "game isn't balanced for PvP", well every other MMORPG has balance issues, that's not the issue of PvP with low pop.

Ruleset is the biggest factor in whether or not PvP is going to be success or a bust.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Those games have been designed around PvP from the start and in addition to the frequent class balancing/tuning they have many mechanics around the PvP game and EQ has none of that. Many people have complained not only about the class balance issues but the hacking issues in EQ PvP when there was a PvP section on the forums. If EQ actually had a decent PvP game people would have a lot fewer issues with trying to bring it back.
    Skuz and filthytlpplayer like this.
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

kek 5 pages in

as if this were even the remotest possibility.

/eyeroll at this.
  13. uberkingkong Augur

EQ2 is getting PvP TLE.

Guess what those EQ2 PvP'ers concerns are about.
    I'll take away one of the guesses,
    not about balance

EQ has way more issues in regards to PvP that need to be addressed before even talking about balance like all the other MMORPGs talk about.
    "Nerf such and such too OP, I got 1 shot by thief. Thief is perma invis can never attack him. Balance!" Yet theres tons of PvP players in other MMORPGs still around because besides game being unbalanced its fun.
    What makes PvP fun? The ruleset.
    Hardly anyone playing on Rallos Zek speaks enough about that ruleset.
    Balance is not just an EQ issue thats for dang sure. Yet the other games, thriving PvP community. Way more population than EQ? A lot of people want PvP in MMOs.

"Go play WoW, GW2, ESO, other MMORPGs then."
    They have. Hence EQ is less populated than those MMORPGs.

Other MMORPGs they embrace PvP.

Current EQ players scared and tremble of thought of PvP, don't see how it could work.
    Ignorant. They don't know of anything else besides failure Rallos Zek. Everything PvP related all they see is Rallos Zek. Not the success other MMORPGs are doing.
  14. filthytlpplayer Elder

EQ has way more issues in regards to gameplay that need to be addressed before even talking about PvP.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

EQ with a new TLP as PvP would force DPG to permanently close the automation issue.

Not gonna happen

Srsly, a wall hacking rogue who invisibly stabs you from exterior to actual zone geometry and warps out of range is normal on Zek.
    filthytlpplayer likes this.
  16. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

WoW has been so desperate for PvP players they routinely make PvE players <have to> quest in PvP spaces to offer them up to PvP "tryhards" because there aren't that many actual PvPers.

This isn't healthy PvP it's not even voluntary for the majority of players.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

EQ2 != EQ and they have different dev teams. Just because they do something in one game doesn't mean they will do the same in other games.

Not sure how often this needs to be repeated but those other games are not EQ and they have been designed around different things then EQ was. In fact WoW doesn't have a single PvP server anymore which should give an idea of how popular PvP only servers really are.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Laronk Augur

I would play pvp tlp , just not sure how long I’d play it :). I’m sure I’d get max level and do a bit of raising but pvp in eq is kinda meh. If you want pvp in eq a time limited event server is probably the better choice. Mostly I’d play it just to do it.

Generally pvp isn’t great in mmos because mmos are about making your characters better and requiring lots of time to top out your characters where pvp games are all about being fair.
  19. filthytlpplayer Elder

I like the idea of faction based PvP and world PvP in MMOs in general. In order to participate in EQ I'd want 3 things.
    1. Demonstrated evidence that botting/hacks are gone including maps
    2. Meaningful progression/rewards attached to PvP
    3. The ability to opt out or some other anti-griefing mechanics
    Even then I'm skeptical about whether the gameplay would be engaging based on how EQ combat works so I'm not sure how long I'd stick around, but those 3 conditions being met would get me to at least try it.
  20. FranktheBank Augur

I don't think you are familiar with WoW. WoW's pvp servers became so terrible to play on, that blizzard moved to a War Mode toggle system. This effectively made every server a pvp server, if you choose to partake.
    Also, Blizzard gives a baseline XP bonus while playing in WM, because so few people enjoy it, especially World pvp. This is especially effective while leveling, because no one cares about pvping while leveling, so everyone uses it to level faster. Even in current Dragonflight content, when mining/gathering/etc most people just ignore each other, because the actual pvp experience is dumb and we are just after the rewards.

The pvp community has never been a majority in EQ, because pvp in EQ is absolutely, ridiculously stupid. I can't tell if the pvp crowd is actually huffing copium that they matter or just trolling and acting like they do.

And as much as I hate to reference it, the red p99 server also has an xp bonus and the xp bonus exceeds the number of active players on it.
    brickz likes this.