Race day ideals to bring in new players to EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Highwizard, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Highwizard Augur

Hey folks, I had alot of fun T3 race day and congrats to the participants from ALL guilds. I was curious if there would be some way to use this once a year "holy grail" event to somehow showcase EQ and maybe bring in new and old players to EQ. Player growth would have positive impacts to the game...except maybe more lag

Other big game titles that I wont name do this as well, the big dog guilds do a huge live stream competing each other for the world first type titles to clear events.

What do you fellow players think?
  2. Riou EQResource

They would have to be able to internally test all raids like the other MMO's do and allow none of them to be Beta Tested, plus make them more complex to even make something maybe long enough

The Raiders of today probably also don't want to raid up to like 18 hour days, every day, for world first either (times basically every guild who wins expansions)

For races like WoW the guilds/players have actual sponsors or esports orgs (to be able to pretty safely take that time off to grind the raids) then the stream ties the race in with Charity as well
  3. Highwizard Augur

So logistical blocks+ not being able to internally test the raids. Either way you could still have a streamer broadcast the guilds that are racing at the same time. The way its done now seems odd to me, especially with differences in server lag and zoning lag. Be nice if they all started at the same time in zone and someone broadcasted each guild.
  4. Riou EQResource

The problem now with that is that each tier of the race lasts for like 40 minutes, which isn't close to long enough to really do anything, the WoW race for each tier of an expansion lasts something like 2 or 3 weeks
  5. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

What if they released all 9 raids at once. That would be a shake up for the race. Or, they could bring back flagging... I like the 9 raids at once idea better.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

I've always personally loved how in like cotf and other expansions. You had to get the progression done in order to be able to request the raids you wanted to run.

All raids released day 1.
    All raids locked behind each other dominoes style.
    All raids locked behind group progression.
    This is what I liked.
    Nukester likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I prefer the way things are done now.
    I wouldn't object to needing zone progression done to request missions and raids.
    I love not having to have previous raids completed, it helps if you do not have the correct raid make up to complete some of the other raids, lacking in Heals, Tanks or DPS.

As someone who also plays on a TLP server having to flag and do group progression to be able to zone into raids is frustrating when an expansion releases especially if you are on a 2 month or less expansion release server. Currently doing TSS and having to try and get faction done to be able to zone into raids is a pain in the posterior.
  8. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

No chance, I've watched some of these streams and they're awful. You can barely see any of the event, especially if it's a melee character. Watching these people stand 50 feet away and swing at a mob, is terrible. EQ doesn't present itself as a watchable game. At least in FF14, there's some great music and WoW at least has personalities.
  9. uberkingkong Augur

Yes this, the dev's would have to internally test and make the raids longer.
    Yes, EQ raiders compared to WoW is night and day, WoW raiders are playing 24/7, EQ raiders just don't have that endurance anymore.

Yes, WoW raids they very long, intense, grueling, compared to EQ raids
    It's for balance of raid guilds, and the top 10 raid guilds would beat everything day 1. Not good for longevity.

People dislike having slow locked behind/progression raid style.
    Agreed, The current raids are great for the playerbase we have right now.
    Agreed,
    Yeah watching the final T3 raid NoS. it is underwhelming.
    Some guilds had the boss regen to full 3 or 4 times, the gear people have is too good, the mechanics don't put much pressure. People would let boss regen because they didn't do their part, and to have 3 or 4 chances on the final raid.
    All people did was stand and dps, and run to other side of bridge when it was their turn.

So some entertainment of people watching these people perform the raids would be needed. So developer would have to think
    1. what is challenging and fun for raider
    2. what would make it fun to watch if someone was livestreaming
    3. EQ raids, needs to include audio, we have 64 bit now, game is upgrading itself, its past 2020, we need audio in EQ, especially on notable NPCs. Not some text flashing and have to be a quick reader. So, not 100% audio everything, but on notable NPCs/events there should be audio.
    other games bosses actually do animations rather than flail their arms.
    Other games, would have to listen for in game audio cue, watch animations happen, etc.
    In other games, there's no text saying the audio or visual cue, you'd have to actually pay attention.
    EQ is text heavy, GINA talking and telling them what to do and being the streamer really.
  10. Sebbina Augur

Maybe once the updates are done this year (or next) there will be some excitement to get old players to log in and to encourage new players to come on board. However EQ is not a shooter exactly, to play high end there is a learning curve that a lot just can't or do not want to handle. Should this game fold, I probably will not join another so it has got to last me, a few more decades.
    Yinla likes this.
  11. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Race day would be more fun if it there was a media stream where we can watch a level 120 player fleeing in terror in POK or the Guild Lobby after being randomly jumped by a level 200 NPC assassin who gets to loot one of their armor pieces if they die. I would pay to subscribe to this channel.