What is your controversial EQ hot take?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Alarya, Feb 20, 2023.

1. ttobey Developer

Yeah, I liked it too. It didn't feel EQ to me though. Should have been in a new IP.
  2. TheRealMuramx Elder

Hard to push buttons when your level 100 with 140k hps and a dark blue quads you for 35k a hit....
    Its sad when people think that's ok but a mage or necro pet can shrug that off like its a gnat buzzing around.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Rijacki like this.
  3. Derka Power Ranger

RoS was a challenging expansion for a person in full EoK group gear. I remember when it launched getting owned by the tiger and cactus DoTs. To go at it at with a level 100 character which would be 4 expansions behind sounds kinda silly.
    Stymie, Laronk and Tarvas like this.
  4. Derka Power Ranger

Hot take:
    Everything in the game can be completed wearing group gear.
  5. Caisy Master

Without enrage timers, this is likely already true.
  6. Laronk Augur

To go to ROS would be a bit much at 100, its a level 110 expansion the mobs proc stuff.

Even when people say to go to lcea/ fm at 100 they mean go there to group with other people not a 100 warrior and a merc.

To the did you push any buttons, did you have some kind of disc running? Warriors should always have something running in their discipline tab even if its not a disc with a % damage reduction there's other warrior defensives now that you can have running between defensives. Heck you might need to use a shield. If you haven't played your warrior since rain of fear you might not even have weapon stances enabled, I can't remember exactly when it came out but it's something that you have to turn on. If you're running last stand or something like that you dont need a shield out but if the mobs are bending you over and taking advantage of you then you might need it.

weapon stances: when sword and board its 12% damage mitigation and when dw I think its 6% it also increases your block chance or parry chance.

All group content is doable in group gear, but you might have to use a disc and push buttons.
    kizant and Derka like this.
  7. TheRealMuramx Elder

What's silly is a mage pet that's level 98 tanking it like it's nothing... and Its like that every expansion. ToV teir 1 group gear... warrior gets beat down, but mage pet barely takes any damage. ToL same... NoS same thing.... but hey I am glad I have a mage pet to do the heavy lifting. Even my friend logs his warrior in full t2 group off when a named spawns so his Necro pet can tank it. So, to think its a skill problem is laughable at best. The classes are unbalanced and the expansions power creep is going off the rails.
    Dre. likes this.
  8. Derka Power Ranger

Your mileage has definitely varied and I'm sorry but we will never see eye to eye. I completed every expansion that has come out since CoTF playing with a warrior friend tanking in group accessible gear. Not once did we ever in the last 10 years say "log the pet class and sit this one out". Towards TBL he did get a few pieces of random raid gear or chase items but not a full set to make a real difference.
  9. Conq Augur

Based on the information you provided, "TheRealMuramx", the warriors you are grouping with are not playing to their potential with their group gear. Perhaps not even within 50% of their potential. If your tanks aren't surviving past their defensive discs, then your mages' aren't holding up their end of the group (not enough DPS). On the other hand, if all you're using is merc healers, then it's all moot, they only output 20% of a real player healer and you get what you pay for with mercs.
    Conq
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

I have not had any trouble tanking the last I dont know how many expansions and I definitely do not raid. Sounds like your tanks need a few lessons. Oh and have never used anything but a healer merc since they invented them. I have a shammy along he may toss a hott when I take the time to do it. Then again I do not pull more than two a shot if I can help it.
  11. Paladin Augur

2) Older content progression is all ready unlocked or easily accessible (by-pass quests, unlocked by merit of level, looted back flag items...). Some of the newer content allowed you in the zones from the get go. EQ is EVERQuest... removing the quest part simply works against the foundation of the game, imo.

3) They had that chance with NoS... the new Shadow Haven, and didn't do it.
  12. Paladin Augur

Sounds a lot like a mix of what's all ready out there... Tutorial, Task Windows, Achievements and Internet Web sites.
  13. Grummle Journeyman

My Hot Take, EQ Needs to encrypt it's network data between the server and client so it can't be sniffed.

Bonus hot take, TLPs that last a year or two fit the believed original scope of the game only lasting a while before being replaced by a new game.
    Rijacki and filthytlpplayer like this.
  14. TheRealMuramx Elder

ToL, Shei mission is a good example I can duo it with a necro/mage and a merc healer and fall asleep. its signifigantly more difficult /longer if I shelf the Necro/mage and try to run it with a War/brd/shm/monk and 2 healer mercs.

NoS is the same way, I can run a mage/necro/necro and box whatever I want with them or just do a couple mercs and run the missions fine. I try to run an actual group with a 120 warrior in a mixture of T1/T2 group gear and its smashing discs and spot healing with a shaman and he barely survives.

I have pretty much been told that until the (45k AA warrior) basically maxes everything out they are useless. thats pretty bad when I can level and make a fresh pet that gets tickled by the same stuff.
    Dre. likes this.
  15. filthytlpplayer Elder

Seriously how has this not happened?
    Rijacki and Grummle like this.
  16. Laronk Augur

Having a 120 paladin, a 115 warrior and a 115 sk and a 120 beastlord.

I would never want to use a pet tank over a real tank. Pets seem to have a higher HP pool and it makes it easier to heal by merc healers sometimes but they're really bad at dealing with adds or tanking multiple things.

For the shaman are we talking double splash, reckless reckless reckless spam on the tank or are you letting the 2 healer mercs handle it. Personally i think war shm mnk brd most of the time will get more of a compliment from having 2 dps mercs with them then stuff dies faster and as a result is easier to tank because you can just have the good discs up.
  17. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

100% this. It might not be easy, though, to back port to the codebase they've been using. They have been slowly updating various aspects of the code so maybe it's in a long range roadmap, i.e. something past a single year, with lots of stuff that needs to happen first.
  18. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

The cheat software simply pulls the decryption key from EQ's memory; no way to stop that unless you are on a 'secure' heavy DRM system like a console, maybe something like Windows 11 TPM stuff would make it much more difficult, but not impossible. As long as your computer can decrypt it... your computer can decrypt it.
    Shanarias and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  19. Buds Augur

Mabe because it would create more lag that isn't needed? Do you really care if your connection is encrypted?
  20. Windance Augur

My hot take. The 24/7 crew that offers fast PL's , raid loot, and blatant RMT across all servers has friends in high places.
    Magickon likes this.