If 2023 TLP is PvP TLE server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by uberkingkong, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Obliteration Elder

People can't even farm keys and you think they are going to play a PvP version?

There would be 8 people on the server at peak time
    Lejaun likes this.
  2. Lejaun Augur

Terrible idea. It would bomb quickly once the novelty wore off, similar to Vaniki but even worse.

It is.....for now. It's the newest TLP server. Give it a few months when the new TLP opens up. It's going to decrease significantly after this year's TLP, unless the new TLP is a bomb like a PVP server would be.

It is, and will remain so for awhile. There is a major reason for this: it's ruleset. It's a winning combination.

A few, but mostly not. Vaniki can generally be labeled as a failure. There are some diehards, but not many. It's population has plummeted. It also is benefiting of being one of the new servers released. A new server will eat it's population come May.

Yes, but you know what is not kicking? PVP servers. Only one single PVP server and it still can break out of the low population normalcy. Maybe if your one PVP server sported a high or even a medium population a TLP server would be feasible, but it doesn't.
  3. kenmei Augur

guess you missed the fact that the most populated EQ server to this date was Sullon Zek, the team pvp server, right before DAoC launched.
    reason there is no one on the current 'merged' pvp server is because Smedley backstabbed everyone (not just here but SWG as well 'dont bring a knife to a gun fight') and no one is going to support that type of abuse. bring back Sullon Zek and you bring back the masses.
    but go ahead and try and lie, there will always be someone like myself who was actually there to remind you that you are full of it, and lying to prove a false narrative.
    Breaker and NinjutsuMMO like this.
  4. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Right, speak the truth. Remind these blueberry, carebears that Blue servers were so embarrassing, empty that Verant/SOE had to divide and create new servers to address their lack of population.
  5. kenmei Augur

verant made SWG to capture their pvp folk. Smedley wanted to ensure that. Once they screwed up SWG with the first 'update', making it forever unplayable, everyone came back for Sullon Zek. Which was by far the most fun ever had. For some reason DAoC launched and Sullon sunsetted the same moment, not saying they were related, but holy mother that was one helluva coincidence and brilliant move by Mythic to capture an audience who was about to rage.
    an audience that to this day, pays the bills and then some for now Electronic Arts. So tell us again, how pvp servers are not profitable, when you gifted your entire fan base to EA on a silver platter for over 2 decades.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And all of the PvP servers have been merged into a single low population one over two decades ago.

There has always been more PvE servers then PvP and now we have a single PvP server that has a low population.

While PvP might have been popular at the launch of the game in the end the popularity died down and the servers got merged into a single one.
  7. Hdizzle Augur

This would annoy me greatly Lol.

My token response to pvp tlp servers is make a Red Agnarr! It would be the most approachable, least unbalanced and most familiar version of Everquest.

I enjoy pvp, but there is no objective to pvp in EQ. Zone control/content control is a thing of the past.
  8. kenmei Augur

I appreciate Township Rebellion, if you know it's history, you would know the original guild was 'the Seekers' on Fennin Ro, later Druzzil, then Township on Legends. I was part of that original guild under Cinder.
    Just so we can say time frames. Pvp did not die off on EQ, it was killed off by Smedley. It was a concerted effort by Smedley to kill it off and force it to SWG. Smedley was the anti-pvp to Brad's vision. Eventually forcing Brad out the door. To say pvp wasnt part of EQ is going full force in the face of the vision. Just so you remember. We played with Brad, he liked pvp. Smedley never played with us.
  9. filthytlpplayer Elder

EverQuest focused on co-op play to counter Ultima Online's rampant PVP | Shacknews

Building EQ - The Brad McQuaid Interview | MMORPG.com
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No matter how you look at it PvP has been dead in EQ for over a decade and the devs have said they need to see evidence that it would be popular again before they would think about making a new PvP server.
  11. kenmei Augur

your evidence is the existence to this day of DAoC, who robbed you of the community here because EQ devs gave up on them. You can ignore it all day, truth is the truth.
    you keep saying, well 'prove you want it!'
    no, we saying that to you guys, we proved it with our numbers then and for decades keeping DAoC funded better than EQ is funded. Which now has numerous shards of DAoC worldwide going, as does SWG, another eq PVP crowd lost. You want our business?? prove it! otherwise, continue as you are, complainin about no business but no answers, cept you have Brad's vision, which you have never followed or you would have pvp servers.
  12. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

EQ's the last game I'd ever want to PvP on. The classes aren't balanced for it and the gameplay doesn't foster it. And that's not even mentioning rampant maphacks and worse.

Probably the only remotely interesting PvP that EQ could support would be tournament matches between players of the same class, but you don't need a server for that.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No, it is definitely on the table, this table...
    [IMG]
  14. kenmei Augur

EQ pvp did not allow for radar. was tested during sullon zek, the same Radar used and exploited in DAoC (still to this day sadly) is not able to be used in EQ, that much they did right. For the most part gameplay was good and exploits were man-made and could easily be solved through pvp.
    Classes had their issues, but that was the benefit of having team pvp deity based vs, all out pvp in EQ.
    Best of the Best tourney were always a thing back then, so not sure what you mean by tournaments in pvp. Those yearly tourneys were all-server wide. Drakky won it x2 for our server.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The evidence is the fact that EQ has a single PvP server and it is always at low population. Combine that with the attempt to have an event on the server to show demand for PvP that ended up flopping shows there is little demand for PvP in EQ.

It doesn't matter what other games have for PvP demand or what PvP demand was like two decades ago but what it is now. The devs have stated that they need to see demand for it before they are willing to spend time on it.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Go Take A Nap Augur

PVP servers died when the game reached a certain point of mostly instant content and massive classic imbalances. There is a reason there were several popular Classic PVP servers and there is a reason people keep asking for an original pvp classic start.

The people asking for a TLP PVP want the classic era, not live experience. High resists of pop + era make pvp nearly impossible for casters. The devs want everyone to play live pvp as a testing grounds. No thank you, i dont even play live on regular servers as thats like asking for an orange and being offered a banana. EQ pvp is only really good in the first 3 and maybe first half of luclin before everyone is running around max resist. The era of quality pvp is one of the issues with making one as it will unfortunately reach those critical nose dive expansions where pvp is horrid and the kind you run into you dont want. Like on live. Imagine trying to lvl up to the pvp range and everyone is running around max geared. Big difference pal, hard stop with the cap. Its obviously a brain dead comment to ask us to play live or you all would be playing there too in stead of asking for a tlp every year
    Breaker and NinjutsuMMO like this.
  17. Kahna Augur

I played on Sullon Zek. It couldn't hold a candle to even a mediocre TLP launch for population.

I do want them to launch a PvP server though, just so we can see how big a failure it is and people can stop talking about how much folks want PvP. Though if the EQ2 PvP TLEs are any indication you will just blame the failure on DPG's implementation, not on the fact that EQ PvP is horrid and no one really wants to play it.

Everyone and their brother uses "radar" in EQ, and they would do so on a PvP TLP server. Anyone who didn't would be at such a massive disadvantage they would soon be run off the server. What wasn't prevalent in the early 2000's is standard issue now. You can't use what things were like back then to predict what they would be like now. People play the game differently.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  18. Go Take A Nap Augur

Probably has a lot to do with the majority of the population NOT knowing about it as there was zero marketing. This is the first im hearing about it... most of us dont patrol the boards every day or even every month.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There was a ton of marketing done by the "PVP bois" a massive hundreds of responses EQ forum thread, they got a mention in several gaming press blogs for their efforts, discord groups, facebook groups, a twitter campaign and they still had less than 50 actual players plus boxes show up on zek for their "event" & Zek is 100% free to play on it, there were zero barriers to entry & they got 50 from a pretty far-reaching call to arms for PvP interested players.

It was a monumental failure in every way.

The people championing a PVP TLP for EQ are deluded.
    And I say that as someone who enjoys RvR (DAOC / WAR), I even tried EQ's Sullon Zek for a few months & enjoyed the deity based PvP but open-world PvP as EQ had it is simply bad by design & actually works to self sabotage the PvP community by fostering & rewarding anti-social behaviours far more than cooperative team-based ones.

And the devs have less than zero interest in adjusting thousands of spells to create a better PVP server environment for the less than 50 people who would show up.
    Unaffordable, unsustainable, waste of time & money.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not knowing about PvP servers that have been in the game since launch? EQ PvP has been dead for a long time as it is just broken in general.
    Lejaun likes this.