EQ Guessr

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Silvae, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Silvae Apprentice

I made a thing!
    https://www.eq-guessr.com/

Similar to geo guessr, you are dropped into a photosphere somewhere in Norrath (Classic-Velious) and must select the zone and place a pin on the map to guess where you are.

There is no login, which means no leaderboards or multiplayer, sorry :( but hope you enjoy a bit of exploring nostalgic fun!
    Tour, Xyroff-cazic., FYAD and 25 others like this.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

This really is fantastic. Have forwarded to several friends. Mad props.
  3. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I've been playing with this for a couple days and it's very cool. I hope more locs are added in the future.
  4. Zarkdon Augur

Me too! Nice job.
  5. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Just awesome!
  6. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Bug report: I can't click on the Back button to go back to the map selection in when certain maps are up. Like Felwithe South. Have to reload the page and make sure not to click Felwithe South (which was the wrong guess anyways.)

edit: this is on Firefox.
    zleski likes this.
  7. Caisy Master

Brilliant, thanks for this!
  8. Iven the Lunatic

Great idea and job, love it ! It does even auto-detect the language. Added it to the links of my site.

5 Rounds - 24542 from 25000

Temple of Bert was a bit tough, most other stuff was easy.

Bug reports:
    1. Needle placement for the world map got bugged after a while so I had to use the zone selector pulldown menue.
    2. Typo at the end when the score does appear "5 Tounds -" instead of "5 Rounds -"
  9. Samatman Augur

Thank you for making this. I found it after redbeardflynn did a play through and have spent hours with it. Great job!
  10. zleski Augur

I had this issue too with Vivaldi (a Chromium browser), but I thought it was because I had the map too large. Similarly, if the map is too large, it's not possible to make it smaller because the controls expand out of the frame.
  11. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

This is sweet. DPG should promote this and other cool player content on their media feeds
  12. uberkingkong Augur

You make all of that or was it from some framework and drop pictures in it?
    Could go a step further wear something and ask which boss drops it, which zone does it drop in. I think some of the early items were unique in appearances. Or vice versa, what do they drop. Which boss stands here.
    Regardless, it's good!
  13. Iven the Lunatic

14. Silvae Apprentice

Thank you for the bug reports!

I've logged the back button not being visible on certain maps, you can make the map too large, and the "world map, selecting a zone via clicking an area" being finicky and sometimes the hover state gets out of sync.
    The "5 Tounds", ah, i copied my french translations over to the deutsch and re-translated but looks like I skipped that particular label at the end.

The "photosphere viewer" is 100% an open source library - it wants 6 screenshots that it automatically stitches together into a "cube map" and it does the pseudo 3d field-of-view thing to make it seem like youre not inside a box. The map/pin part is all me as I wanted 3 things: 1. pan/zoom, 2. drop pins (and dropping works at any zoom level), and 3. the "overlays" on the world map that highlight when you hover. No library existed that did all three and trying to glue together ones that did each one separately ran me into a brick wall and I had to start from scratch.

Oh geez the messages I'd get if I did new models :p
    I have heard the what boss/npc is at this location, to use the same photosphere thing (with the npc's visible) but instead of a map there's 4 answers (like a trivia game) and you pick the right answer.
    I want to fix the handful of bugs (the ones mentioned above and theres a compass issue) and make the mobile experience a bit better. Then I'll start on either: user auth + move the client side validation to the server = leaderboards, or something like that trivia idea.

Iven - I've had a lot of people send me screenshots but I think you're definitely in the top 3, thats awesome!
  15. Mithra Augur

Iven likes this.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

Nice. Mithra just got very close to my last score !

Found another bug, where text does not appear completely in the text field. Also the flags do appear at the wrong positions. I placed mine east and a bit north of the the southern dock but they do appear on the norhern dock.

[IMG]
  17. Iven the Lunatic

Kedge Keep, Phini spot:
    Some text is missing. The red flag is not positioned correctly which is a general issue.

On the map at Velious: Dragons Necropolis -> It is Dragon Necropolis.
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

19. Iven the Lunatic

20. FYAD Augur

what's the scoring criteria? I've had instances where I get full credit (5000) for the pin being 10-15 units off and other times I lose a few points for being <10 units off. Because placing the pin on the old eqatlas map is not a very precise operation, it seems like there should be a minimum range where you get full credit.