How much input did players have in charting the 2023 Roadmap?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Brontus, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Cicelee Augur

I believe someone had an idea and shared it with the developers. That idea has not come true, therefore all ideas and input are ignored by developers.

Need a first baseman's glove for that kind of reach.
  2. Retty Lorekeeper

bruh I eat at del taco all the time, why won't they take my suggestion of pouring ground beef into a soda fountain cup with cheese sprinkled ontop as a new menu item.
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. TheRealMuramx Elder

Probably not, I mean a lot of the "ideas" are just plain bad. Some ideas are "me me me" without thinking about how they would impact everyone else. And some are great ideas that the toxic part of the community attacks because they don't want others to have any quality of life boosts or alternate pathways to enjoying the game even though it doesn't effect them.
  4. Koshk Augur

I think we're asking the wrong questions.

Personally, I don't believe it's a question of whether "Devs" are listening to the players, or not. I think they do.

Rather, I feel the problem is they rarely make the time to speak.

As others noted, we players have *many* ways of providing feedback to DPG. For example these forums, the official Discord, Twitter, Facebook, and varied other ways. However, from this player's perspective, most of these feedback mechanisms feel like "shouting into the Void." The communication is almost exclusively one-directional. The players speak, all the time, at great lengths. The Devs (we suspect and hope) kick back and listen. Though the players are rarely reassured of that, because Devs are so darn quiet. Is Uncle Ngreth really listening when he says "Please continue your story, I'm just 'resting my eyes' for a while..."

For the most part, the software above is not a conversation tool. They are more like "input gathering and collection tools." Useful. But not the same thing as a real, bi-directional conversation.

Certainly the Devs are not entirely mute. They have been known to chime in...from time to time. In my own experience, the chat is rather terse. Rarely more than a post or two. There are Announcements, of course. Which again, isn't a real conversation. Yet even these Announcements are limited in scope. Road Maps, Events, and TLP just-entered-a-new phase. Yep. That's absolutely happening. New TLP Announcements, holiday bonuses? Don't forget to bring your Fishbone Earring, my friends.

Now, before you lovely people Reply, give me another paragraph or two. I am not saying DPG "has to" do anything. I'm not even saying they should do anything. I'm also not saying that bi-directional, human conversations have not happened before. I'm certain they have.

What I am suggesting is that some players (trying super-hard not to generalize here), would probably feel a whole lot better if these conversations were far more common. Or perhaps some feedback requests initiated by the Devs more often. Or if this mysterious Community Resource Council (whoever they are; I truthfully don't know), occasionally said "hello" or reminded us they exist.

Because after a while? It can get really tiresome, just shouting into the void.
    Brontus and Barraind like this.
  5. Metanis Bad Company

We players are tough bunch to please. Devs have almost zero incentive to engage with us. They're the frogs, we're the scorpions.
  6. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I have no clue about who you are talking about. Your strawman reply is unproductive and has nothing whatsoever to do with the question at hand. So I will ask it again:

How much input did players have in charting the 2023 Roadmap?

This is an honest, legitimate, good-faith question for the developers. Their silence on this issue is duly noted. This is the last time I'm going to post on this thread.

[IMG]
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

Noted.
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Thank goodness. Lock it and carry on.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Not a single person has said they shouldn't listen to the players. We're saying they don't have to listen to everything we say. Nor do they have to sit here and explain why they do and don't do the things that are posted on... Your comment about rights.. so what "rights" were you actually talking about then? Just that you have them? Sure, so do I up here in Canada. What exactly was your point? You're so arrogant in your posts, expecting everything you say to be followed by the company (and for everyone here to just agree with you).
    Celephane, minimind and Rijacki like this.
  10. Tweakfour17 Augur

What kind of answer would satisfy you?
    "Some" is correct answer but somehow I doubt that would be a satisfactory answer.
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

I feel like, in this era of ease of communication especially, getting the most basic information about what the studio plans to do in a calendar year is well in the depths of minimal effort territory, given they almost certainly have that mapped out for workflow purposes.

We are decades past the time when "its all a surprise, stay tuned" is considered acceptable in entertainment media. Sports Leagues release information on next years schedules before the current season is even finished (and most have released almost all the factors that go into how those schedules are made), and turn the unveiling of next year's full schedules into social media spectacles. We have road maps for up to over-a-decade-away for film and tv studios. Video Games, especially MMO's given their subscription structure, arent exempt from those same expectations.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Especially MMOs that are way way way down the list in regards to subscribers. I don't think we should be expecting much in the way of hype and I find the roadmap we now get pretty reasonable.
    Stymie likes this.
  13. Gorg00 Augur

Celephane and Tweakfour17 like this.
  14. Celephane Augur

Well done, rounding to the nearest whole number
  15. Stymie Pendragon

I’d say we got just as much input as they needed, and no more. They read these forums and use our posts to gauge player sentiment from what I’ve been able to gather over the years.
    Svann2 likes this.