NEW UI April

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Soulbanshee Augur

I might be able to rig something up in my parser for the first part, unsure how I would get that workflow. The second part, you can outputfile and use my parser, the file that is created can filter out completed achievements, which will leave just the categories that have achievements left showing.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/soulbanshees-parsers-vnext.285831/

Alternatively, in game if you uncheck locked and completed in the achievements window then output to file, char_server-Achievements.txt will just have the open achievements listed and you can scroll through that.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The big change to the UI is to start porting it to a new system that will allow for more flexibility and changes in the future.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

While I have not tested it, if you do as Soulbanshee suggests and only output just open achievements it should just show them in my EverQuest Inventory Report program: https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/EverQuest_Inventory_Report
  4. uberkingkong Augur

I hope they do more, this kind of sounds like 64bit. People were really excited and, I'm not sure what happened. I'm expecting so much for some reason, I don't know what it did to be honest. They just went 64 bit and thats that?

I think he means AAs automation, I agree with that.
    There are so many AAs, sometimes I'm wondering if I'm forgetting to use an AA that is really important.
    8. Improved AA window, sort by stun AAs, for tanks, pretty sure paladin has like 7 different stun AAs, might be missing one and not using it.
    Sort/filter by recast time, might be missing that AA that the dev's think I'm spamming which I'm not because I overlooked it.
    Even if your not a boxer, these AAs can get overlooked and get tedious, gotta click boastful bellow every 12 seconds., just like gotta click kick every 6 seconds
    I'm pretty sure there are some bards past lvl 100, and they are not using boastful bellow that often. It's a nice AA, just tedious one.

So some AAs, like Boastful Bellow, would be nice to autoskill that. Just do it everytime its up, like Kick.
    Right now it wastes a line on my social macro, alt activate 199.

Some of these fights are so long, be nice to have a fresh line of social macro instead of being wasted on /alt activate 199 (Boastful Bellow, 12 second recast, just like Kick is 6 seconds or so)
    /autoskill /altactivate 199 ON, its a 12 second recast its designed just like kick.

Honestly I feel like a of these windows need better sorting, just simple sorting filters on a lot of these windows would be really nice. Especially the quest history window I like that window but its just a bunch of quests and I have to click through them all to remember if what that easy repeatable group mission or quest was.
    I know they sort but it needs better sorting. Believe me these filters/sortings could be better.
    Buds likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The UI update in April is making some changes but it isn't hitting all UI pieces and those will be getting ported over time. I wouldn't expect any major changes until the full UI is ported over, this is of course outside of things that need to be changed to work with the new system.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. aiha Saryrn [Bertox]

I'm back here because I recently canceled my two EVE Online subs (normally only play EQ during anniversary). New UI's aren't always a good thing, fingers crossed though.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Buds Augur

Well glad you're not a Dev. By automation, I mean easier and better macros, for the ridiculous amount of buttons we have now. I have yet to know someone, on a normal server, that doesn't box sometimes. You can bury your head and pretend the game isn't 90%+ boxers, but that doesn't make it true. Even not boxing, there are so many AAs and abilities, that you need to have a book next to you, when you play different toons, to remember all the things you need to be casting and doing. I tried to play my Berserker after a long time and it was ridiculous all the discs and things, I forgot half of them. I'm fine with a couple burn abilities, but not all these constant click after cooldown things. Like my SK with the hit blocking disc Repudnate, that I need to press every 5 seconds lol. That can't be auto skilled?

I have played this game since 1999 and it is much different now and people don't have time or effort to group. Back then it was so easy to get a group, they had waiting lists for good camps in L guk etc.. Now, I want to get on, play for a bit when I can and log off. This is a GAME, it should be fun and not frustrating. It's not a life, it's a game for fun and amusement. The new UI should take the new style of play the game has evolved into and make it less frustrating.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A lot of that has nothing to do with a UI revamp and would handled by other areas. Things like fixing the number of buttons from AA's and other abilities isn't related to the UI at all.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

My main reasons to use a custom UI, spell gems with names (w/o pressing buttons or hovering over it), group window with stats/agro/etc. Also I like the clean look of chat boxes with out a fancy border so all the edges line up. I’m notice to much background moving between the small corners of the default UI it drives me bonkers.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

Yes I agree,
    many people don't realize that /autoskill kick/bash/backstab is automation, why not include some of the AAs, especially the ones with 12 seconds or less recharge time? One or more less buttons to press/macro.
    Unity AA, thats an automation, AA to basically automate as if you memorized a spell, cast the spell(s) and then unmem it and put a different spell there.

AA needs better sorting, should be able to sort by type, DD/AEDMG/Stun/Heal/Cure/Aggro/ etc. recast times.

Also, noticed while watching Twitch, players they make a social macro called PB Stun, PB DPS, etc. because so many things, its hard to memorize what the heck does this AA, spell, item do? its in a social macro so they probably cast that spell and activate the AA that is with it and maybe activates an item. They have something that tells them
  11. uberkingkong Augur

9. More efficient combat chat/log/menu
    Triple attack Quads just say
    Triple attack 123781
    Instead of
    hits you 44234
    missed
    hits you 78423
    my combat chat is
    ____
    |
    |
    |
    |
    _____
    that big so pretty much all i see is super fast scrolling.

I would like really big crits to have emphasis
    you crit for *!*!6,999,999*!*!*!

In old school EQ days people used to be in awe of high people crit, "woah you hit in the thousands, nice". It's so hard to be in awe when everyone is quadrupling and the combat chat is tiny. Super fast can't read squat.

Maybe if super big crits appear in the view part of the game.
    Or damage appears in the view part of the game, thats how most other games are nowadays.

From playing MUDs, it always gave me some kind of joy to see big damage being emphasized on.
    You really eviscreated the mob for *!*!99999999*!*!*! (in blacker/shiny than black or bright colored text, colored text even more emphasis)

Can't recall but maybe heals is green text, misses/parries etc is light grey, help color code things to find things faster.

Let us control how we want to see the text, condense triple attacks/ condense attacks per tick into a damage, and in same line let me know how many times I dodged/etc in that tick and what damage took in that tick.Ex. took 198,000 damage from 6 hits and 1 riptose, while avoiding 5 of the attacks. If I do over 3 million damage per tick HIGHLIGHT for me, I wanna be happy. If I take over 400,000 damage per tick make the text orange, so I know this hits very hard. If it hits under 100,000 damage per tick, make it a light grey, so I know its not hitting hard, maybe if healer can see this it helps them out as well. Mobs are hitting hard quickly I need to heal fast, mobs are hitting not much per tick I can relax. Sure you can see it with everyones regular HP but something else to look at as well.

The little things make a game good.

Maybe use emojis
    punchicon is damage karateicon sidestep icon is misses
    Put the name who they are attacking first in in the message line.
    Ex. Player1 a mob (punchicon) 217,000 (slapicon) 6 (muscleicon) 1 (karatesidestep) 5. Could let people choose the icon they want as well.
    Condense the party members attacks
    Player 2 (punchicon 397,000) pertick
    Player 3 (punchicon 373,000) pertick
    Player 4 (punchicon 982,000) pertick
    "whoa your really good player 4"
    Group 1 (punchicon 4,999,999) pertick
    Group 2 (punchicon 3,999,999) pertick
    "Group 1 is doing really good!"
    maybe I don't want to realtime damage, I want to see pertick.
    Once people know what the emojis mean, that really saves combat message space.
    Might make it fun to watch again, back in days I use to monitor the combat chat, get all flustered when I missed and keep missing.

So combat chat, could use emojis, condensing, show logs a certain group by per tick, show real time, etc. Lots of improvements can be done with combat chat. Maybe a sortby feature
    Sort by mob, and it shows their damage output. Sortby myself, ah thats what killed me, stupid DoT is too deadly.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You have lots of ideas that can help make improvements to the game but they really are not UI changes that would be part of the upcoming UI port.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. Petalonyx Augur

Fatter health bars, OMG.
  14. uberkingkong Augur

Like box size bigger? I believe this called padding in technical terms. Yeah that would nice.

Looking at /autoskill when I type it, it doesn't say if I have any of those on or off. I'd like to be noted when I type /autoskill if it tells me whats on. Rather than /autoskill kick, it has been turned off, ok /autoskill kick, is now on. Great. Tedious to find if it was on or off. Combat log is a scroll fest so I can't really rely on checking that the combat to see if i was kicking or not.
  15. Aiona Augur

All I ask for is all the documentation they are willing to share, to help author new UI's in HTML5 instead of XML.
    Ssdar likes this.
  16. Strawberry Augur

Stop trying to add stuff to a UI that is already a bloated confusing mess.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They are not trying to add anything but convert it to a new system to make it easier to maintain.
  18. Strawberry Augur

Not talking about Daybreak, talking about OP's suggestions.

Social media, boxing features, voice macros, Twitch integration. wtf?

The EQ UI is already as bloated as a cockpit of a jumbo jet.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Most of what I saw suggested are not actual UI suggestions
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Zunnoab Augur

A common theme in UI revamps is a ton of cut features that may take years to come back, if ever. See the Windows 11 Taskbar getting basic functionally back over a year after release, and basic things like showing seconds on the clock or moving it possibly never returning.

See video game consoles routinely launching without basic folder support.

So my number one request is features not being cut.

Customization being inferior to the '90s is another theme of awful "modern" UI design.

I'm not saying the EQ team would do those awful things; I just hope they don't.