[Paladin] Blunted Blade disc outdated, no upgrade

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Allayna, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Allayna Augur

[40098/10553] Blunted Blade Rk. III
    Classes: PAL/99
    Skill: Abjuration (Combat Skill)
    Endurance: 0, Upkeep: 35 per second
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s, Recast: 15m, Timer: 20
    Duration: 5m+ (50 ticks), Dispelable: No
    4: Add Melee Proc: Blunted Strike III with 300% Rate Mod
    8: Increase Min Hit Damage by 90%
    Text: You adjust your weapon to strike with the flat of the blade.
    Book: Disciplines/Offensive
    Book: Timer 20
    By adjusting your grip on your sword, you strike with the flat of the blade. This will lower the damage you do but add a chance to stun and magically damage your target.

[40101/40099] Blunted Strike III
    Classes: PAL/99
    Skill: Evocation
    Mana: 10
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Magic -50
    Can Break Root: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    1: Stun for 1s up to level 103
    2: Decrease Current HP by 4270
    Text: You are struck in the face by the flat of a blade.

Not sure if this was a 1 off disc, intended on not being upgraded, but is currently outdated with a level 103 max stun.

This spell came out in CoTF, a level 99 spell when level 100 was the level cap, with a level 103 stun. So to be updated it would need to look like a level 119 disc, that stunned up to level 123.
  2. Razorfall Augur

Blessing of Light increases the damage of the fury lines and blunted strike, but I don't remember if the blunted strike portion has been increasing with the new ranks, or if it's just the fury lines damage that has increased. In any case, the stun portion hasn't been updated.

Also, the SK version of this ability (_____'s Spite) seems to be getting updates on a regular basis, so that's weird

Update: After looking into this more, SKs have their own version of Blessing of Light called Soul Abrasion that increases the damage by 85% at max rank (same as BoL). So yeah, Pallies should be getting updates for this spell, but haven't.
    Flexin and Allayna like this.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

What's weird about that?
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

That the paladin version has never had a full upgrade, perhaps?
  5. Razorfall Augur

Yup

There's also no heal component on the proc (outside of Healing Light procs, if they are even triggered from blunted strike), but that's besides the point of this thread.
  6. Allayna Augur

Idk how easy it would be, either make a new spell, or change the original blunted blade strike, the stun component to be n+3, where n is the max player level.
  7. Wulfhere Augur

I reckon my sarcasm was lost. o_O
  8. Ratalthor Developer

This is feedback and not a bug, so I am moving this thread to the Veterans' Lounge.
  9. Szilent Augur

my feedback is that the next iteration of this discipline should be 2 minutes duration instead of 5, with x2.5 power to retain its overall impact.
    TsiawdMS likes this.
  10. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Very much agree this needs an upgrade. Im sure there are a few other Paladin disc’s and AA’s that need looking at prior to next expansion release. Time to start looking at those also.
  11. Allayna Augur

Good to see ya.

Alliance didn't receive an upgrade either, despite seeing SKs lumped in with every other DPS class getting an upgrade with NoS.

But ya, blunted blade should be upgraded to keep in line with at least having it stun the mob at our current levels.

And big shocker here, I disagree with Szilent. Do not shorten the duration of the disc, part of the appeal is that it is a lasting disc. Used to bridge the gap when all other discs are down. If you listen to Szilent and increase the "power" but shorten the duration, you'll need to add an additional disc OR shorten the reuse.

Let's hope that the dev's listen to paladins and not warriors regarding paladin discs.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  12. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

Chances are you clicking it off early for when a mitigation disc comes off cooldown. It's far from powerful but at least running something when everything else is down.
  13. Brickhaus Augur

Or you've hit Righteous line because it popped back up....

I'll be honest, I would rather they fix the Blunted Blade/Righteous line issues before any upgrade talk (I would appreciate an upgrade though). And I do not want a shortened disc on an upgrade (or side grade).
    Warpeace, Allayna and Wulfhere like this.
  14. Wulfhere Augur

Huh, I can already increase the damage? I.e. why am I buying focus AA to increase only the damage for this spell? The focus AA should also raise the stun cap to current level (or change the disc to level 253 and future proof it).

Also fix the stacking issue with Righteous and problem solved.
    Allayna likes this.
  15. Lubianx Augur

One of the quirky things about this disc is you can ask numerous people and they will have a different answer as to what this disc is.

It initially was a DPS disc but more pallies use it as a Quasi Defensive disc when everything else is down due to the Healing Light procs (I know I do)

Szilent's post suggests an increase in the DPS from this disc and cut it in half time wise which would be OK if it didn't have this secondary affect and it was used as a DPS disc, which most pallies don't
    Allayna likes this.
  16. Szilent Augur

and if it were *better* at that? perhaps, just spitballing, 2.5x better at that? would that not be a pretty good move?
  17. Brickhaus Augur

I can't see them adding a 2.5 multiplier to the chance to fire on this disc. Since the defensive usage is all about the stun, that's the only thing they can do without changing the makeup of the disc.

I'll again agree with everyone else in this thread...the length of the disc is a positive. We've got nothing to fill the dead gap between our normal disc rotation. Why are you pushing a shorter disc length?
    Allayna, Wulfhere and Lubianx like this.
  18. Wulfhere Augur

Yah increasing Healing Light proc rate (up from 20%) would be a nice focus AA or rank improvement. But that's a different story.
    Allayna likes this.
  19. Lubianx Augur

I was about to pretty much post the same thing as Brick.

With raid lag as bad as it is adding a 750% proc modifier is something they aren't going to look at
    Allayna likes this.
  20. Riou EQResource

They wouldn't be adding an entire new set of evolver item procs if they cared about proc lag :p
    Szilent likes this.