Bazaar listing limit

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zugren, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If I remember right it was changed after it was brought to their attention that the UI only allowed people to set the price at 2 million but people could manually edit the file to set a higher price and people complained about not being able to do it in the UI.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree at this point that part of the reason for not changing the plat limit in bazaar is a design choice but it may not be the only one. It could still be a work for reward issue. And to say it will have no effect on the game economy is disingenuous.

And I also believe it will have little effect on whether folks sell items for kronos or not because many ONLY want kronos. Whether you sell those items in the bazaar or not if you want kronos you would still have to buy them. So at that point you have those folks buying them in barter for prices over 2 mill. But barter and the bazaar are put up and forget things. Can't speak for everyone else but If I am selling something for big money I want kronos. They rarely drop in price and over time all they do is go up. Anyone who is constantly selling high priced items probably want to be paid in kronos too.

And when they stopped folks from manually changing prices on items so they could sell for a bit more then 2 mil it was before the 64 bit announcement. I know I was one of the people petitioning and asking them to fix that. I know they didn't change it because of me but I was paying attention to the issue so I can say that (at least on my server maybe it wasn't being watched on every server) they started cracking down in that at least 3 years ago.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Buyers: NO
    Sellers: YES
    Rijacki and CatsPaws like this.
  4. FYAD Augur

Can we just get a legit auction house style system that nearly every other MMO includes as a standard features instead of the silly bazaar system that requires characters be in a dedicated trader mode?
    Fenthen and filthytlpplayer like this.
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

This has literally been a request for about 6 years now.
    Buds and FYAD like this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Although a lot of folks are fine with things as they are as concerns the baz price limit.
  7. Cicelee Augur

25 posts in this thread. Not one question pertaining to...

8 million for a Krono?!?!? What the halfling? What server is this? Or am I so out of touch that 8 million is the going rate nowadays?
  8. Warpeace Augur

Well 8.5-10 mil on FV.

Prices are terrible.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

That was brought to the dev's attention years (likely even more than a decade) before the change was made. In fact, it was a dev who talking about it years prior when I first learned that you could do it. It was not that they only just found out about it after the bazaar being around for like 18+ years.

The Devs had brought it up that changing it to higher was possible and not unreasonable to do, just that they did not want to do it at this time. Also, there would literally be no negative impact on the in-game economy by changing the bazaar to allow higher than 2 million plat purchases and sales, nothing disingenuous about it. Krono prices would actually likely drop, because people with large stockpiles could sell them without having to put additional effort into it.

I can 100% guarantee that if people could sell the items for plat they would, because it would increase the size of the market to which they can sell. They could also likely get more straight plat than would be the equivalent value in Krono. There are people who simply don't buy or deal in Krono. They could have tens of millions of plat and no Krono. Also being able to sell an item offline allows you to sell it for more than you would get otherwise. Similarly, it allows you to offer to buy Krono for less than you could buy them for otherwise. The person who only wants Kronos can 100% use the plat they get to buy just as many Krono; if they want 4 Krono for an item, then they simply price it at 4x the going rate for Krono, if they are paranoid that Krono prices will go up, then they charge more plat. Also, having Krono being able to be sold in the bazaar will drive prices down because it will greatly increase the number of people who are willing to put the effort into selling Krono, and similarly the /buyers will be able to attempt to buy Krono for less than the going rate, and they will get people who will sell to them. Say Krono on a server range from 3.5m-4.5m plat and they want 4 Krono for an item, they can charge 18 million plat and turn around and potentially buy 5 instead of 4 or buy 4 and be a significant way towards a 5th. /bazaar and /barter are faster, more convenient and safer to do than to direct trades.

Anyone who is constantly selling high value items will be constantly tweaking their price and while doing that at the same time as they convert their sales profits to Krono would take all a minute or less. People don't change their prices much, because they will eventually sell. But they still get on their bazaar mule regularly, so when they can convert to Krono they would. People would definitely have a bunch of Krono buyers in /barter and getting Krono for less than the going average rate will happen regularly, similarly there will be people in the bazaar selling at prices in between as well. The amount of time investment needed to manage the prices and promptly convert from plat to Krono is less than is required to regularly spam the chat channels trying to sell or buy Krono; and you have fewer people that will defame you because of what you offer to pay or sell for.

You had people punished for doing something that was allowed at the time. The Dev's 3+ years ago had explicitly stated that it was fine. The fact that the GMs on your server were willing to "crack down" on people pricing their items higher than other people is insane. GMs not knowing that something is allowed and should not be punished is not an unusual thing, but the fact that you are proud that your server got people punished for doing something that was allowed is surprising.

FV, where the ratio of visible to invisible plat is more balanced than the majority of other servers. Being able to buy raid gear amps up how much people charge for those items, rather than drive down the cost of lower tier gear. So on FV, what would have been a huge pile of never used plat becomes a smaller pile of plat. More plat trades hands, the more people realize how much of it is out there.
    Buds likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I remember the change happening after it was brought up on the forums and there was a discussion about how people could manually edit the files to make it higher then you could without it. It might be right that some devs already knew about it but I was under the impression that it was new to some of them.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It might have been new to the new ones. It was also brought up in conjunction with discussions of people wanting to be able to increase prices above 2 million again for the newest set of ultra rare drops at the time, and the Devs having announced that they would not be increaseing the bazaar plat cap. So people complained about it, because they were too lazy open the ini in notepad to change their prices. GMs, as discussed in a previous post, were punishing people for editing the ini file, which is explicitly allowed. The Devs did not want to increase the bazaar limit, but they had only found out that there were people getting punished for editing the ini, and there was the possibility that weird stuff could happen if the person listed the number all the way to the exact copper.

Of note, there are numerous setting in EQ which you explicitly must open the ini in notepad to change the setting; you are intended to be able to change what is listed in the ini files.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes, you are intended to be able to change the settings in the ini files but that does not mean you are able to change things to values not intended to in the game such as going over the 2 million limit.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You must sell a lot of stuff that would be over 2 million in the baz.

No one was punished they simply stopped the ability to price over 2 mill through a loophole. Actually saying folks were "harmed" shows you are not looking at this with an unbiased view. That is what I try to do although I am sure my own views and feelings come through.

And the ummm "crackdown" was just them preventing things being done that the UI and the majority of players couldn't or wouldn't do. No punishment as far as I know just stopped it from happening. Dramatic much? Which also shows you are letting your emotions rule you on this subject. My suggestion is take a step back calm down and try to look at it from all sides.

And the fact is I have no pity for those who manipulated game files to sell over 2 mill. None. They took a chance and apparently from what you say were doing it for years. Getting an advantage over the average player. That ended boo hoo too bad.

I find it highly unlikely that I personally had anything to do with them cracking down on it but the thing is htey had two choices they could have stopped anything over 2 mill from showing in the baz or they could have just upped the baz limit to the actual limit a bit over 2 mil. They chose the first. So complain to Daybreak.

When it comes to siding with the little guy or the big money makers (and disclosure I do very well in the baz game and play it sometimes more then the kill monsters side of things) but I am more then fine with the 2 mil limitation. It has not stopped me from making money and I think the plat limit helps the average joe druid on the street.

But in the end of it all what I think doesn't matter at all. Daybreak is going to do what Daybreak is going to do. IF they listed to me grind exp would still be great. :)

And the final thing I would add is that if they did raise the baz limit I would be making a ton more plat. BUT its not about me its about the little guy. *shrugs* what can I say paladin in game and paladin in RL.

My last edit is... FV may be a different case then the rest of the servers since everything is for sale there..
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The Devs for years explicitly told people how to do it and that they could do it, but that there was the limit since it was a 32 bit integer. The value was explicitly intended to be able to be that until they changed it to not be able to be that in the last few years. The Devs have known that this was there since the inception of the Bazaar, in fact the Devs have told people that they could do it. If they had never wanted it to have been possible, then it would have been a hard limit from the start. They only put the 2 million limit in-game because there was a 32-bit limit, and at the time explaining it that limitation to most players would have been difficult. Almost 20 years later however it was considerably easier, as people have been introduced to the differences between 32-bit and 64-bit already.

Make up your mind. If no one was punished, then there was no crackdown. Or if as you previously said there was a crackdown for a number of years on your server before the change that you took part in. Cracking down on something by definition involves those doing it being punished. So, which is it?

The Devs making a design decision to make the bazaar plat limit a hard cap rather than a soft cap is not them cracking down on anything. As previously stated, cracking down on something involves those who were doing it being punished. Removing the ability to do something is not cracking down on it, it is just removing the ability to do it.

Here you go again acting like what they did was not allowed, it was not only allowed, but the Devs themselves are the ones who told them to do it and how in most cases. There are numerous things in EQ which explicitly require you to "manipulate" the ini files to do things which definitively improve gameplay and how the game works. Most players do not do these things because there is no way within the game to do them. So the players who do these things have an actual gameplay advantage over the average player. As compared to the person who would change their bazaar ini file to increase prices a bit less than 150k plat over the bazaar's, then, soft limit to get a convenience benefit by not having to send messages in the chat channels to sell it. Plus, they didn't take any kind of chance, because how to do it was spread mostly by Devs saying that you can do it.

Going by what you said in this post, it actually sounds like they didn't crackdown on it at all, but you view the people as being bad for doing it, so you are used that term to mischaracterize what was being done to make the people who did change the price sound like bad people. As far as the "complain to Daybreak" part goes, that is exactly what this entire thread is about, complaining about the bazaar limit.

The bazaar limit actually increases prices, so it definitely doesn't help any "average joe." The process of selling high value items is very time consuming and monotonous, this results in there being far fewer people selling Krono and other high value items at any specific point in time, thus the supply is artificially limited by requiring that items only be purchased by using chat channels to buy or sell those items. Krono only really started to spike in price after it broke the 2 million barrier. Before that it was a far more gradual and slower climb because there were always people who were still selling at the lower prices or just would sell at lower prices. The Bazaar limit helps the big guy, it doesn't benefit the little guy.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't remember that but I do remember it being changed after it was brought up on the forums about being able to get around the limit by manually editing that file. And given the fact that when it was released in Luclin two decades ago that limit wasn't a concern as prices where no where near it. I would guess that it wasn't changed in the past when it was brought up because it wasn't considered an issue and eventually it became an issue and they decided to fix it.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Some fun reading:

March 24, 2014
    From Oct 2016:
    I've seen items priced 2,238,000 plat for sale in the bazaar, usually Krono, but also other items like Ancient Cloak of Flames etc. How are they able to go over the max of 2 million?

Answer was:
    I doubt the pricing is that high since the max limit is 2,147,483,647 copper pieces due to 32-bit code.
    And then gave instructions on how to alter ini file.

And then December 2016
    They ever gonna raise the 2 million PP Bazaar limit?

Edit there I fixed it and here is the link so you know it was not 2004. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...r-buyer-price-setting-increase-please.209542/
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I think that your first date was meant to be 2004 rather than 2104. But yeah, I had forgot that the original in-game limit was 1 million. I was too lazy to go looking back for when the different ones were.
    There were people selling stuff for the max even back then. The players wanted it higher almost immediately. The Dev's knew you could do that. They didn't care. Then they were getting close to when they were going to be putting out 64-bit version of EQ, and to pre-empt that discussion they changed it to a hard 2 million.
  18. uberkingkong Augur

No thanks

The price disparity between rich and poor is too much.
    Bazaar not having cap at 2mil just worsens it.

Heroic character lvl 100, 35,000 plat start.
    They are already broke, 35,000 is <1% of a krono (4mil and rising)

The game needs to combat inflation. Price of krono has risen drastically the past few years. Past few years, not the 20 years before that.

At this rate, you'll have krono prices sky high, item prices sky high.
    A newbie, without a heroic wont be able to afford anything, like they already can't. 500 plat is too much them, 2k is way too much.
    Heroics 100s newbies start with 35,000. Upgrades for them, cost like 20,000, 1 maybe 2 upgrades and then they broke. They don't know about zones they can easily farm. They are NEWBIES. They don't know the past 19 expansions, they are NEWBIES.

They don't know they can goto the hive and clear the zone, they are NEWBIE. They want to play the game, level up. Expansions they goto like TDS, EoK, RoS. Those are not newbie friendly.

Heroic 100 newbies don't come with a guild, so guild hall portals these places, they don't have access they not in a guild.

the 2 million cap removed, this just supports top of the top bazaar traders. The 1%. In the long run, its going to lead to more inflation.
    Need to combat inflation. If this game wants to be in the long run because newbies are being further and further left behind. Harder to catchup. Its already hard to catchup when there is hardly anyone around and the zones they play in are designed for groups. Designed for end game players to continue on, no catchup content, its all end game content. End game content is not newbie friendly.
    xcitng likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Nothing in this game requires you to buy a krono so it doesn't matter if they can't afford a krono. Besides a level 100 heroic costs more to buy then a krono does (as does a level 85 heroic).
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  20. Buds Augur

Umm yeah lol. FV has raid gear for sale, that isn't going to sell for under 2M pp, unless it is 2-3+ expansions old. New raid gear can sell for 150Mpp or 15+ Kronos, when it first comes out, So the 2M cap is basically only good for group gear and old raid gear. Anything decent needs to be auctioned and spammed in general chat over and over to sell. It's ridiculous. The price of things would only go down, not up, if they change the limit over 2M pp. I'm sure there are rare items on regular servers, that go for more than 2Mpp.

Also, you have to take into account inflation. 23 years later, 1PP is not worth the same as it was, as more and more get introduced into the economy, it's value lowers. Just because you personally might not have 2Mpp or buy items like that, doesn't mean it's not a big issue for a lot of people. I really hope they make a change to this. Would be nice to be able to actually see some good items in the bazaar and not be spammed with WTS WTS WTB all day.

Imagine if a store could only price items $20 or less? They had to announce the higher price items over the loudspeaker lol? Oh sorry, our ticket gun only goes up to $20, would be too much bother to fix that. That's what this is.
    Moirraine, Ssdar and Fenthen like this.