The problem with low exp per kill of mobs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ozlaar, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

"Your in their world now!"
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and xcitng like this.
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It definitely is the case. I have no idea how people wanting something to do. Risk vs reward not there for small groups and molo content? What exactly do you think that small groups should be able to do that they cannot already do? For that matter, what do you think that people moloing should be able to do that they cannot already do? I think it is more that you have unreasonable expectations of what a single real player should be able to do.

Expecting something meaningful to happen every single time you log in has been unrealistic since day two of EQ being live. Like everything else in life, you have lulls in the action, where nothing meaningful happens. Further, if something meaningful did happen every time that you logged in, then those things would stop being meaningful. Also, there are things that people can do that are meaningful towards the progression of their character each day. It might not be end game content, but it meaningfully advances the character.

I haven't a clue what you mean by being forced into one play style. It could be that you are confusing people choosing to do the content the optimal way with you being forced into one play style, but that is just a matter of the majority of people choosing to do what will most likely grant them the most meaning to their play time.
    Not sure how it is gone. The grind is still there. What you are grinding for has just changed: gear, augments, ornamentations, and the like rather than XP. All of those things that you mention still happen on a daily basis in General chat on most servers. The segment of the population that that is looking for what you claim are not trying too hard to find it, and I would suggest that they are more wanting the chat, jokes, and fun with specific people rather than with random people.

These threads have nothing to do with a lack of chat, joking, or having fun while playing. Most people do that with their guildies, friends, or just in the General channel these days from my experience.
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. Tappin Augur

To answer your question - they should get roughly around the same level progression from killing mobs as they in did for the last decade.
    Vizier likes this.
  4. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You can actually get it fast today than you could 10 years ago. So you are actually arguing for the level progression to be slowed down to match what it used to be, got it.
    Rijacki likes this.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

You’re just going to be going in circles with Tappin, he’s the forum crusader that got GMM nerfed because it was too much experience.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Which makes me laugh that a couple of expasions after that we are getting less exp than ever and he is complaining it is not enough.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

To be fair they said for the last decade so that includes less then 10 years ago. Not sure any of us actually remembers accurately how exp was 10 years ago but as I say what they said could also include 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 years ago.

I would like to see them increase grind exp but it doesn't have to be at the expense of overseer. I do think they should do more to promote overseer usage among returning players as those are the folks we have to hold onto when they return and while its not ideal Overseer is a way to get them leveled up since most folks aren't going to get groups for the group mission exp from the last few expansions. If they aren't in the current expansion and do not box they won't be getting the big group exp bonus for finishing merc partisans heros altogether.

And purely by grinding you cannot get level exp as fast as you could 10 years ago. At least not from my recollection. Overall if you are doing all the missions, can get groups to get them all done quickly and using Overseer sure it may be faster. But each year EQ goes on getting groups is harder and harder if you don't box. That's a fact for a lot of folks out there.

Not sure what the answer is. Maybe if we knew why they changed how leveling exp was gained we could make better suggestions... maybe.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

10 years ago was during the Rain of Fear era. That was actually the start of them moving the XP away from primarily kills and missions to achievements. If you did not do all of the Rain of Fear progression it took considerably longer to get your levels. Further, I still hold my statement, that you can go from level 110 to 120 faster today, than you could go from 90 to 100 or 95 to 105 or 100 to 110 in the previous 10 years.

I am pretty sure that they told us the reason for the change to where regular xp is expected to come from. As I recall, it was two fold. One, they were getting away from the idea of *insert class of the month here* that mass kill hundreds of lb mobs from 5+ year-old content in a few minutes and get max without doing anything else, so they made the xp pools for gaining levels 111-115 as well as 116-120 substantially. Two, they wanted to incentivize people to actually do the progression content and missions rather than just randomly killing and farming named mobs, so they made it such that if you do the content of the expansions and complete the associated Achievements, then you get large one time XP rewards. Because of this, if you actually do the content you can level up faster than you could 5 or even 10 years ago. Add Overseer and it is faster still.

If you are leveling from 100-120 you can level as fast or faster than you could originally. Larger number of zones to choose from helps a lot.
  9. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Anyone who thinks XP is slow doesn't remember level 54 in original Kunark.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

So what would we call the True Tears of Alaris, then? The Truer True Tears of Alaris?
  11. Flatchy Court Jester

The Cranky Old Timers Tears of Alaris!
    Rijacki likes this.
  12. ScreentimeInfinity Lorekeeper

overseers only gives aa from collects. most stop doing them when they max level, the system is set up for you to buy krono. stop thinking, it will get you nowhere.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

I just do the content and xp flows like rain onto my head.
    Then I move to other parts of the content, and aa's flow like rain onto my head.
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

Killing mobs is great for aa's. Just leave the PoK and head to a modern zone and kill some stuff.
    Often multiple AA's per kill.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks for getting it completely backward. I said do Overseer for regular XP, not AA. Hunt for AAs, the XP is just fine.

No need to ever buy Krono unless you want to buy gear you can't get, or want to waste it on a PL. Which is unnecessary, because of.... wait for it.... Overseer :)
    Rijacki likes this.