The problem with low exp per kill of mobs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ozlaar, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Tappin Augur

To be honest, this post isn't worth a reply. But anyway...

Being antisocial can be loosely defined as 'not wanting the company of others.' Overseers gives everything you need after you complete the progression basics besides AAs. So what you are saying, that it's not harmful to the game for everyone to only complete the bare minimum, while ignoring everyone else the use to socialize with. And don't tell me this isn't what is occurring, because it's exactly what most are doing.
  2. Serdar New Member

I partly agree with the OP. But for completely different reasons. You don't need to pay to get to max level. I find it strange I didn't see much mention of collectibles. Hopefully that's because I only skimmed through most of the replies. In any case, hunting down collections post 110 is definitely the move.

If I remember right, I spent 113-115 doing nothing but the darknened sea progression and collectibles. I might have paid for some TOV missions around this time, but they weren't expensive. On FV some people will carry you through TOV missions for free.

Ultimately the real problem with killing mobs that yield .005% exp is so much of the game never gets play. For example, it would be cool to take my toons back to some older content but there's no reason to do it. The game pushes you to move forward, and that's cool, except for all the missed potential.
  3. Celephane Augur

I have not heard or seen anyone in game or on discord refer to Bazaar as playing EQ. They aways refer to it as Bazaar. There are people that mainly enjoy buying, selling, bartering, trading in the Bazaar. Guess what, they don't interact with you either. Should this horrible mechanic be removed from the game?
  4. Dre. Altoholic

See also: EC tunnel post #1516231
    Celephane and Rijacki like this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not sure I can understand your post exactly. But obviously mine was worth replying to because you did :). You don't really explain what you are talking about " everyone to only complete the bare minimum"? what the hello are you talking about :)

And "everyone"? You know someone has a weak argument when they say things like "everyone does this or that" no everyone does not. Whatever minimum you are talking about I am sure not "everyone" does whatever it is. You seem to be stuck on a position and nothing is going to move you off it.

I know lots of folks who still never use overseer so that blows your "everyone" thing out of the water if it is concerning Overseer.

And if you are trying to say "everyone" is trying to do the base minimum to play EQ and you think "everyone" is just doing overseer you are way way way out of reality.

Grouping is hard for newbies or returning -players. If they are lucky they get into a guild that will help them out even if they aren't going to raid. But just finding folks in level range can be hard. Getting into decent level range (not just the minimum level 90 to get exp) can be hard. Sadly a level 90 cannot provide much in completing level 120 missions.

What is it you think overseer is doing? You think people are just doing overseer and that is it? I find that highly unlikely and an exageration. Maybe you are talking about raiders in a raid guild only logging in for Overseer and doing raiding after they get all their aa?

I am saying it is not harmful to the game for Overseer to be in it. People still have lots of reasons to group and I don't think many IF ANY players want to play EQ to just do Overseer. Overseer is a means to an end not an end.

Give a better explanation to what you are talking about and I am happy to continue discussing it with you.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree that instead of dealing with the issue of folks leveling and the problem with putting most leveling exxp behind missions they simply added overseer. People used to be able to grind exp in a reasonable time frame to level and you could even do that solo with mercs. Now it takes much much longer to grind the exp. I think that is one of the reasons Overseer was added. So its a bandaid solution really..

Is it a good bandaid or not? Not sure I think its relatively good at what it does and folks stil have to play to max aa. And I don't think anyone plays JUST for Overseer. But if they did more power to them they seem very easy to please.

I do see folks who are going through RL stuff just log in and do overseer. Or if they are taking a break and don't wan to get too far behind. To me those are good reasons to do it.

Overseer and autogrant aas are the same thing. bandaid solutions to the fact that the only game is the end game in EQ. There is no sustainable grouping community for other then the end game. And if they rebalanced things to allow soloing the earlier content up to the last few expansions people would then complain about that too - people arent learning how to play etc etc.

I just don't get a fear of people not playing the rest of EQ and just doing overseer. IF they are just doing overseer they wouldn't be playing the rest of EQ anyway.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

This seems to have turned into the Overseer discussion thread but so be it.

I can't speak for anyone else but I hated the addition of Overseer to the game. I would have rather seen something added that could make the solo game easier to exp your way to levels (including no nerf to how much work getting levels via grinding became) by actually playing the core adventuring part of Everquest. Why is this needed? Who is getting regular ToV groups on Live Servers? CoV groups? ToL groups? Anyone? Heck with the current state of the game just getting NoS groups can be much harder then it was in the game years ago.

The thing is making soloing easier would have a much stronger effect on socialization then Overseer does. Folks still need to group for aa exp, gear unless they are happy with the TI stuff from expansions that have it attunable. While I don't like Overseer I think it was far less damaging to socialization then Making everything soloable up to end game.

And I can't speak for everyone but does anyone except maybe completionists actually enjoy Overseer? I look at it as a chore. Something I have to do to be able to go out and play with the other kids. For me I loved doing MGBs and after being away from the game due to some hard times in RL I took the plunge to use Overseer because right now in live I don't want hardcore challenges in EQ I just want to play the game and socialize with folks, help folks... just be with folks. I love to box but I wouldn't still be playing EQ 23 years later if it wasn't for the people and socialization.

The thing is people are going to socialize if they want to socialize and I really do not think Overseer is going to make anyone BECOME antisocial. If they are already antisocial that is their choice and I am fine with it. One of the best things about EQ is you can get as much or as little socialization as you want. Neither end of that spectrum is wrong. As much as EQ is a game of grouping there are no Gaming Police that say you have to socialize. Some folks just enjoy playing the game on their own but in a world world with others.

People playing EQ "THEIR WAY" helps support me playing EQ "MY WAY" That's a win win if you ask me.

So does anyone believe folks are going to try Overseer and say "WOW this is way more fun I am just going to log in and do this"? I mean folks really believe that? Just logging in and doing overseer is to get to somewhere. Either you want stuff to sell in the baz or for tradeskill or you want to get levels to be able to play in the end game.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I have been in unsocial groups with 3-5 other players where the only interaction between the players were the pull and assist message macros. While it was in the "company of others" they weren't a PUG and no one was picked up from LFG. We just were focused more on the game mechanics than being social.

I have also had very social conversations both in character (I am a roleplayer) and out of character (I am a human) while doing Overseer before work without time to group with a player in a completely different timezone with her own alt army box doing "solo" grouping in her late evening time. Part of the OOC conversation is usually arranging the time our timezone/schedules align to be able to actually group. So, how is that 'not wanting the company of others'? Without Overseers, I would have had no reason to be on at that particular time to happen to catch another player of my usual grouping on to be able to socialize.

I have also spent time tradeskilling making things for others and not grouping. Is that 'not wanting the company of others' that should be abolished. I've also set up my bazaar character and stayed online to chat in guild or private channel but without any intend to group at that time. Is that 'not wanting the company of others', too.

I also spend time on characters that aren't even high enough level to do Overseer. Whether I am soloing/moloing or grouping with guildmates/friends, I'm not grouping in the "end game" zones so should that, too, be considered as not playing correctly because it isn't in the latest expansion? (I think there might be only 2 in my guild who have bought the latest expansion for any character though most of the active players have at least 1 account subbed).

Exactly!

The only "requirement" for grouping/raiding is if you want to experience certain "end game" content but not everyone does and them playing "their way" is 100% fine.
  9. Vizier Augur

They used to foster an environment where you get together and grind. The grind itself was never supposed to be super compelling, but you chat and joke and have fun while it goes on. This aspect of the game is gone now. And for a segment of the population that was the only reason to play the game in 2023.

That why you have a never ending stream of these threads.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

Many people complained a long time ago about questing in Everquest, thats funny, I never quest in Everquest.

EQ wasn't fond of that notion.
    Mob XP down the drain, highly discouraged to level from playing EQ like how it was in its early/core days.
    QUEST XP, EverQUEST, thats how you level nowadays.
    Did you do the quests in EoK? They give TONS of xp. Did you do your ToV quests TONS of XP.

No reason to complain about in EQ, just do the quests, you wont want to go back after you see how much XP is earned via quests!
  11. TheRealMuramx Elder

Live is made for raiders TLPs are made for returning players and casuals. I feel that's how they see the game.

Everyone looks at specific issue instead putting all the pieces together. You have the power creep that gets worse and worse. The transition between expansions use to be good (with the exception of a couple of them.) Now with full group gear from the previous expansion you get throttled or the kills take forever. I imagine on a few more expansions of your not raid geared from the previous one your going to have no chance. Raiders also rush through content whether it's new levels or unlocking zones/raids. Reg exp is just a speed bump.

I went to ME at 115 and was getting .05% a kill so I popped my lesson on all my chats and one wasn't even moving. I noticed I had AA on, in the same amount of time it took to get 3% (about 13-14mins) on one I got a little over 50 AA. The difference in a xp between AA and regular exp is way out of alignment, it shouldn't cost 100aa for rank 55 of 65 that tells me AA is coming to fast so the amount needs to be inflated. They need to raise the overall exp gain and require a little t more exp per AA point
  12. DeadRagarr Augur

This might shock people.

Why not both? If people want to level in old zones. Let them. Who cares how people level on their own toons. If people want to quest for majority of xp also let them. I don't see why they have to gut one to **FORCE** players to play a certain way. Nobody wants devs to shove things down their throat saying "SEE WHAT WE DID? ISN'T IT FUN?"
    Rijacki and TheRealMuramx like this.
  13. Tappin Augur

I think most probably just want better level progression through killing stuff. The only reason Overseers even gets brought up is because it's part of the new level system.
  14. TheRealMuramx Elder

You don't earn enough. I started ToV quests at 110 and without the overseer and collections after completion of everything 2 characters were around 20% to go to level 114 and 2 that had been doing the overseer, collections and had the extra exp perk were 30% into 114. I was lucky enough to had a friend help me with a lot of it. How often do you see people LFG or offering to do Girk or AoW? Or go up a couple expansions and do Shei? Never. The exp may be there but it's not very accessible when it matters, and even doing everything they are short so now they are a level even shorter on exp.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Tappin Augur

TLPs are for raider in the off season really. DP doesn't really enforce the server's rule set.
  16. Riou EQResource

This is probably better anyway since the TLP's consolidate players into a tight amount of zones and with high pops there are a ton of Groups or AoC Raid Guilds to be had where you can actually accomplish stuff as a solo player
  17. Vizier Augur

This is correct. The last few years have proven it. This could change. They could sell it and maybe the next company changes the way they see the game. I will revisit the game if any of that happens, but until then there's nothing here for me personally.
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

What we have here is a bunch of people who don't want to do partisan, merc, and mission tasks from the 2 or 3 expansions, that will get you from level 111 to 120. Just so that they can complain about groups being hard to get.

They also want to blame Overseer on their not being able to get groups because the people they send tells to claim to have just gotten on to do Overseer tasks. These people have to have amazing luck to always catch everyone in the 1-2 minutes it takes to do the overseer tasks.

Start talking in Newplayers or/and General chat, maybe even general1 as well depending on your server. You can quite easily see who is actually playing and not just on to do Overseer that way. Then ask if anyone wants to make a group or needs a yourlevel yourclass. If don't get a response by the time you finish doing your Overseer, then go molo somewhere working on some older tasks that you can do solo, while trying to get a group started and growing your friends.
  19. Flatchy Court Jester

Hey if it were not for Overseer most of your tears of Alaris would still be at level 10 lol. I think those of us that maxxed it the way it was intended should get triple the stats! (And yes my new beast got his tear from 0 to max in about 15 minutes.)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  20. Tappin Augur

Not the case at all. People want something to do while waiting to do other things or when there is no one to group with. The risk vs reward is just not there for small groups or molo content. You can try to dispute this all you want, but this is reality.

People pay for this game and most have the expectation that they can do something meaningful to them when they have the opportunity to log on.

Current content feels like kindergarten - being constantly told what to do and forced into one play style.
    TheRealMuramx likes this.