What is your controversial EQ hot take?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Alarya, Feb 20, 2023.

1. birdsong_pawn Augur

Fippy Darkpaw should yell "Leeeeeerrrrrrrrroyyy Jennnnnnkkinnnsssss" every time he charges the Qeynos gate.
    Lessw, Alarya, Shanarias and 3 others like this.
  2. uberkingkong Augur

Next expansion,
    Plane of Sky 2.0
    each island is its own zone

On every island there is a run and jump to navigate around, if you miss the jump, the halfling laughs at you and says "You played x amount of years, and you still can't jump, get good".

Its not the mechanics of the game, jumping is perfect in EQ right? Get good.
    FYAD, Ulrin and Nennius like this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

"Get gud", perhaps. Gamer spelling is iffy at best.
  4. Dre. Altoholic

Most (the VAST majority.. 90% or more) people who play Warriors should have chosen a Knight instead.
    Winnowyl and Cadira like this.
  5. Ozon Augur

SKs, Shaman should be able to use pet ears.

Act of Valor should do a ridiculous AE heal and have some chance to survive, small chance but still

SKs should get Wake the Dead to a lesser extent than Necro but still

There should be an AA that gives HT an AE, yeah I said it AE HT

SK pets should do more DPS
  6. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Erellosi day!
    Shanarias likes this.
  7. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Planes of power was the worst expansion.
    Raptorjesus5, Crabman, Ileasa and 2 others like this.
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

While I disagree with having it being a guide program (knowing from personal experience how difficult it is to cover many time zones with the volunteer guide service), I think there would be a lot of benefit from having 'tutorials' that aren't just wall-of-text read-a-thons from an NPC in PoK (or Gloomingdeep). SOME of the current tutorials are interactive to a small degree but start and follow the interactiveness with wall-of-text. Gloomingdeep is a better tutorial (aside from it's own wall-o-text info dumps) is that it has you doing things in relation to the information.

AND if you're reading a wall-o-text about something at a level that doesn't get them, AAs as an example, or that only some classes get only at or above a certain level on a class that doesn't get any, Auras as an example, it can actually increase confusion and is far less useful at helping to understand nuances and additions to the game.

I don't recall if the wall-o-text about AAs even mentioned auto-grant or the different tab types even though I have read it more than once. I don't recall if there was something in the wall-o-texts about the limitations of not being 'gold'/All-access. I don't think any of the wall-o-text about crafting mentioned the the change in how leveling works at 350 or that AA are needed to get to 350 or anything about high level crafting. I don't think there's much about making macros either.

So, yes, I think there is a lot that could be done to improve how new/returning players can understand how to play the game and "git gud".

But... any time there is more information added to the game, you will also have the naysayers complain about how it "dumbs down" the game and everything was intended to be a personal discovery in the original (though 3rd party sites were already becoming available from the start).

Oh and there should be at least a BASIC map for every zone or one that is uncovered as you explore a zone. Or even just every zone other than those in the current release zones (i.e. release the basic maps for previous zones in the new expansion pack). For basic maps, it only needs to have the geography features, no labels. That would make it easier for new/returning players (or those who have to switch computers for whatever reason) while still allowing for the 3rd party improvements.
    Ulrin and Ileasa like this.
  9. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Posts should be limited to 200 characters. Everybody just reads the first, then scrolls down the page to gauge the mental aptitude of the author.
  10. Bobokin Augur

Only if you like cartoon graphics. No thanks.
    code-zero and Rijacki like this.
  11. Terethian Elder

I prefer the original player models and zones.

hot take
    nounUS
    a piece of commentary, typically produced quickly in response to a recent event, whose primary purpose is to attract attention.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

TLPs are a short-term fix and should be eliminated. Those resources should, instead, be directed at re-building EQ1 on a new engine. Sunset the original engine. Re-launch original EQ on new engine from base game through every expansion, re-engineered using the toolset of the new engine.
    Wdor, Magneress, Crabman and 3 others like this.
  13. Lubianx Augur

So how do those outside of US get them? Not all of the above stores are in other countries
    Mykaylla and Rijacki like this.
  14. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

And even if the store is in another country (and the corp buyers want to stock the item), there are a lot of issues with imports, customs fees, supply chains/transport, and exchange rates for physical items that isn't as much of an effect with digital assets.
    Wdor and Lubianx like this.
  15. Lubianx Augur

I know it's a bit tongue in cheek, but please no more Don't Trip Achievement in Trial of Wending Ways fiasco
    Winnowyl and Velisaris_MS like this.
  16. Alarya Augur

Seeing the game back in box form would be pretty cool though!
    Wdor likes this.
  17. FranktheBank Augur

I love this, 3 hot takes in 1 post. Solid.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  18. Dre. Altoholic

If your definition of "quality" is poly count and texture size, you'd best avoid a career in 3d animation.
  19. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

No one 'needs' to group, but it's perfectly acceptable that some content requires more than one character to access. It's even perfectly acceptable that some content requires more than one player (or a boxer with insanely adept ability to manually manage more than one independently operated character).

As long as a player is not using 3rd party automation tools and not monopolizing content at the detriment of other players or otherwise breaking the rules as defined by the game comepany (i.e. kill stealing, taking all the mobs for hours on end, afk XPIng, etc.), however they want to play is valid, though not all content may be available to all game styles (and that's fine, too).

A player is not "doing it wrong" if they only want to play low level characters, mid level characters, high level characters in lower level content (but may not get XP for it), or even mid level characters in high level content (as long as they don't mind being slaughtered constantly).

A player is not "doing it wrong" if they don't do everything to absolutely min/max their character, though some content might be less accessible without at least some attention to details, but that's ok, too, not "doing it wrong".

A player who wants to complete every quest in the game, even without getting any XP for most, is just as much "experiencing the full game" as someone progression raiding in the newest content. Likewise a player playing many alts in different level ranges doing progression or not, maximizing their XP or not, is also "experiencing the full game" in their own way.

The primary goal and function of the game is for a player to have fun. If a player is having fun (and not breaking the rules as defined by the game company), the player is "doing it right" and "experiencing the full game" that they want to play.
    Hileth, Wdor, Paladin and 1 other person like this.
  20. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Close the Everquest forums.