Combat chat filters do not properly capture damage being done

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zleski, Sep 26, 2022.

1. zleski Augur

My chat filters are in the screen capture below. Both "You being hit" and "You being missed" are both indicated for this window and a chat log from the event is:

Code:
    [Sun Sep 25 20:31:02 2022] Xin Tetorau Dator slashes YOU for 39318 points of damage. (Strikethrough Wild Rampage)
    [Sun Sep 25 20:31:02 2022] Xin Tetorau Dator is pierced by YOUR thorns for 8886 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Sep 25 20:31:02 2022] Xin Tetorau Dator slashes YOU for 33153 points of damage. (Strikethrough Wild Rampage)
    [Sun Sep 25 20:31:02 2022] Xin Tetorau Dator is pierced by YOUR thorns for 8886 points of non-melee damage.

The defect here is that even though I was clearly hit, this damage did not show up in this tab in spite of the filters saying that it would. I suspect that this is being miscategorized in the "NPC rampage" and not in the "Me being hit" category.

While it is true that the damage may be "NPC Rampage" I do not care about all NPC rampage in this tab, only damage that's hitting me, inclusive of NPC rampage.

[IMG]
    Mithra, Elantrian, Szilent and 6 others like this.
  2. zleski Augur

Similar to this:

If I log into a melee toon, who has her hits and flurries sent to one window, but "critical hits" elsewhere (a "spam" window), the same thing happens. When she scores a critical hit, it is still her hit and should be displayed alongside her other "my hits."

I have a screenshot of this that I can post, if it helps the devs, but it's the same general arrangement as the spell thing above.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

Way back, we had a line for damage, a line for ramp message, a line for crit message, etc etc. To reduce the traffic and logging, they inlined all the messaging into the damage line.

The filters and "show/hide" system, a line can only be assigned to one category at a time. The critical hits had still been going to the hits filter, but people didn't like that so they asked for crits damage to go to the crits filter instead.

This is just the drawback to the old system and how it was never made to have messages inlined with the damage. It may be annoying but its not a bug as the system is functioning perfectly to the way that players asked the lines to be filtered with the new inline messaging.
    Ileasa likes this.
  4. zleski Augur

While I appreciate the reply, this is clearly a defect. "My hits" are not showing up where they're filtered to show up. As it stands, the filtering feature is not usable, especially considering how easy it is to approach and even sustain 100% crit rate.

More importantly, "me being hit" is similarly not usable, which is something important to know!
    Szilent and Fenthen like this.
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

Critical hits - mine, and others, need a separation as well.
    minimind, Ileasa and zleski like this.
  6. Cassiera MOAR DoTs

Right. Basically, these things are being categorized in a nonsensical and completely useless manner.

For example: Whether or not a "hit" is critical is NOT as important as who is being hit and who is doing the hitting.

I am aware that claims have been made that players asked for this change. Can anyone provide a link to this discussion? Because not one person I've spoken to - of any class - has thought this was an improvement. I can't conceive of any possible benefit of this change. So I'm assuming there was either a miscommunication about what players wanted, or a technical need to do this despite it being a distinct downgrade from how this filter used to work.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Check your timestamps.
  8. Ratalthor Developer

I have moved this thread to the Veteran's Lounge as it is not a bug. However, we do have plans to review our chat filters in a future update.
    Rijacki, Angahran, Greymantle and 6 others like this.
  9. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Resolving the disconnect between the chat filters and the chat categories in the Options window would be hugely fantastic, though I can imagine it will be a significant undertaking.

(But the longer Daybreak waits, the worse it will get...)
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

I wish there was a server side parser that would just give us requested Data and be able to just shut all of this off.
  11. zleski Augur

I appreciate the effort to categorize posts, however, I fail to see how the reported issue is _not_ a bug. I am being hit by melee damage, and it's not going where it should. This is a bug. I do look forward to the chat filter "review" and hope this (and other filter-related) bug-that's-not-a-bug is resolved.
    Ravanta Suffer likes this.
  12. ArtremasEQ Augur

When you do review this, could you please make damage reporting range MUCH bigger in Raid instances. (even zone wide !).

It is currently next to impossible to get good reliable parses for entire raids for analysis etc. Esp on events that spread out, stand back from boss etc, or lots of moving around, as many of the NOS events are. The reporting range atm is tiny.

NOTE: I'm talking about RAID INSTANCES only... no where else that would send lag silly.
  13. Rogean Lorekeeper

I fully agree that this is a bug. The interesting thing is that it actually used to work this way, and then a few years ago many of the filters were changed around and this started happening.

This also affects more than just melee. For example if I want to see just my own healing numbers, I cannot see the heal if it crits, because those go to a separate category for criticals. If I set that category to the same window, I'm now suddenly seeing everyone's critical heals.

I understand that a dev may have changed this thinking it made more sense, but I would venture to guess that perhaps those devs have not raided with "other hits" turned on. If you are a warrior who's interested in filtering all incoming tank damage to just themselves into it's own window, it's currently impossible without getting all the spam for people getting hit by Rampage, AE Rampage, and all sorts of other special cases, OR you don't filter those in and you miss damage on yourself. The way it is now is very frustrating and borderline impossible to be able to quickly see just the information you are looking for.

And I don't think the solution is to just 'turn off' other hits, as I am often checking parses for various reasons. There *needs* to be a way to filter just your own information into a separate window (just hits that involve me and nobody else, just heals/spells/damage that involve me and nobody else, regardless of criticals, rampage, riposte, strikethroughs, etc.)

Any filter that applies to an entity should override filters that apply to a type or modifier of the damage/spell.

Please :)
    Ravanta Suffer and zleski like this.