What is your controversial EQ hot take?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Alarya, Feb 20, 2023.

1. zleski Augur

Here's a hot take:

Corpse recovery was a good thing, actually. There is no risk at all to death; it's meaningless save for the meaningful xp loss, and rez effects. Forcing players to carefully choose between losing their gear and safety is worth doing.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

3. Metanis Bad Company

The EQ Team could really enhance the experience of returning players. I've talked to several people coming back after many years away and they are just overwhelmed with the clunkiness and complexity of the game.

These "returners" might get captured and immerse back into the (paying) game if they had some guidance. It sucks these people have to get the info they need from 3rd party sites. Most people don't have the patience to spend hours combing web sites trying to "get good"!

IMHO the cheapest option would be to re-implement some sort of compensated guide program on every Live server to help new people.

I think most servers have people who love to help other people. The EQ Team could do something to make it worth their while to help the "returners". Or they could re-work the Tutorial and Hero's Journey system to be more comprehensive and capable of funneling people closer to the endgame.
    Ulrin, Hobs, Wdor and 5 others like this.
  4. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

The Vah-Shir player model from EQ-Next/Landmark was pretty cool.
    Hobitses, FranktheBank and Retty like this.
  5. Forum_Quester New Member

Rangers should be better pullers than monks or bards. It makes much more sense from a class lore perspective and provide a nice role for the scout out front with the bow. Over the years they've added pulling specific tools to the ranger, but never enough to cement them in this role. There's still time to fix it!
    Crabman likes this.
  6. gnomeboss Augur

delete beastlords. bake fero buff into monk, rog, zerker aura. or have it rotate based on the cycle of the moon. bake fury into ruchu. give group and single target paragon to druids.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

Nothing about the ranger class lore makes them better at pulling than monks or bards. They are scouts and track the best and run fast, that makes sense. They get invis before monks, invis makes sense for a scout. They have the longest range so in that sense they are great for pulling.

But what about them makes them a class that can split a pull? They get some harmony spells from the Druid hybrid side but really they should just be manipulating animals. Nothing about their Druid or Warrior based lore would give them the ability to split pull a group of humanoids, undead, elementals, etc. or feign death.

Monks having a lull and a feign death make sense. Bards are basically short duration ENC hybrids and can do everything an enchanter can do. ENC can out pull every class except a bard and the only reason bard can out pull ENC is because of their fading memories. If you think of the BRD as a ENC/WAR hybrid, everything they can do makes sense.
    Ileasa and Metanis like this.
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

EQ would be boring, predictable, and even more playable by bots if everything worked orderly, was implemented correctly, and maintained perfectly "balanced" power among classes.
  9. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Playing dead, vanishing and mind alteration are all feasible ways to escape your enemies. Although, playing dead feels like its effectiveness should wain with repeated attempts if the creature has some defined level of intelligence and just vanishing feels like it should have some sort of limit when used repeatedly on the same creature. At some point, they should be able to zero in on your location with a wild swing or notice a disturbance of the terrain or...smell you...something.

Everyone should have some real weakness when it comes to escape/pulling/splitting though not likely technically feasible.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

As this is a thread asking for controversial hot takes I think it should be considered to be a brainstorming session. For anyone not having experience with these the first rule is all ideas are welcome, dont put down others. Its for ideas not for debate. Its just expected that many you wont like. Thats ok.
    Wdor, Stymie, KushallaFV and 2 others like this.
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I agree a Achievement aug and Hunter aug would be very nice to add to eq.
    Ulrin, Ileasa, Kaenneth and 1 other person like this.
  12. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I don't understand Hunter achievements and judge anyone that does them very harshly.

Collection achievements aren't content. They're embarrassing.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  13. Hdizzle Augur

EQ needs a reset. What would happen if the next expansion folks started back at lvl 1? Everyone keeps their gear and spells and disciplines. AA and Levels and all the stats (i enjoy live and even I think its a little silly how many stats on stats on top of stats there are) are reset to zero.

This is not a TLP. Keep the expansions rolling; at reset a lvl 1 mob should affect a player like a mob at the end of the previous expansion.

Levels are just an arbitrary number, you can make a mob any "level". Scale it allllllll down back lvl 1 and open the next expansion to 50 or hell lower like lvl 25. Put some AA's in there that make sense or combine the essential AA's we've come to know and love (maybe a 500 per expansion). Keep the expansions rolling and increase 5-10 levels and a few hundred AA.

I want to use my 7 action bars and all my buttons, imagine if they were all or largely all available at lvl 1 and hit for lvl 1 numbers on mobs that are lvl 1. I imagine the game would be easier to learn for new folks and reduce server lag, easier to balance (!) and make the game leaner, healthier.

It would be a HUGE leap of faith. TLPs would be ruined, but maybe also a reset would intrigue our beloved classic heads /shrug. They could throw out EVERYTHING prior and make a new game. And it would be accessible. Start in POK as a lvl 1, talk to Smidgey the penguin or something and get a set of armor so you can handle lvl 1 mobs and away you go. People already decked would have an advantage because the gear from smidgey the penguin isn't as good, and thats ok because they earned that advantage and you are literally in free gear and able to play.

That is how you kill a 12 oz K cup on WFH day Lol.
  14. FranktheBank Augur

There is like 3-4 actual "hot takes" in this thread. The rest are a mixture of "here's how you fix the game" or super non controversial takes.

My controversial hot take - Embrace software (additionally take a cut of the software sales).
    Ulrin and KushallaFV like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

From what I recall they did not intend for feign death to be a pulling tool and they just lived with it after it happened.
    Stymie, alanus and minimind like this.
  16. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

You want an unpopular suggestion?

Sell the next expansion only in a physical box with one end-game zone as a Wal*Mart exclusive, a different one as a Target exclusive, another as a Best-Buy exclusive... (but allow multiple versions to be purchased)
    Tegila and Nennius like this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

And have them conflict with each other.

"He's a mean one, Mister Grinch..."
    Metanis likes this.
  18. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

What I want? AOE taunt for the mage pet. Expand group capacity to 8. Wind fairy illusion/metamorph clicky or healer mercenary.
    Ileasa likes this.
  19. Flexin Not an amateur

Hot take? I could increase profits for DPG with very little business experience and not a lot effort.
  20. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

Make the raids challenging. Have the penalties for emote failures actually be punishing. Majority of raids are tank and spank; where the biggest challenge is someone not paying attention due to inflated hit points making events artificially long and silencing the raid from not running away.. If you have enough ae healing you can skip through a lot of mechanics. If you have super high dps you can ignore a lot event mechanics. Make mob placement actually matter where if tanks get lazy the punishment from frontal/rear/side will result in lots of death, big mana drains, melee slow. Have all three tiered raids in one dz to negate the zoning times. With how easy the raids have become, launch day coming down to who gets the dz first or zones fastest certainly is not how anyone wants to win or lose. On t3 have see invis mobs that requires some strategy other than invising and moving to the next event. At minimum it would give monks a role again! Would be nice for guilds to have to actually gear up in order to meet dps checks in order to 'progress'. If the raids can't be made more challenging then make the achievements involved hard to get. No gimme's that you basically get for winning the event. Add currency for each achievement or vanquisher achievement the first time.