How to target a player by name when they have a pet?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mikana, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Or the naming convention could just be like every other pet in game and NOT use a playername.

Changing mechanics is not a superior solutiion to just not using the playername to begin with, which is what the actual problem is. The "solution" to this is just stop naming the pets the same as the player.

I have had many pets in my life, none have ever had my name.

As usual, knee jerk rection to problem, but don't actually fix the inherent issue, just provide a patch over it...
  2. Bernel Augur

What if familiars and swarms had names of the form "Familiar of Soandso" rather than "Soandso's familiar"? That would solve the issue of targeting these NPCs with /target. Except for any unfortunate players whose names start with 'Familiar*'.
  3. Gialana Augur

And would still easily allow log parsers to attribute the damage to the correct player.
    Rijacki and Mikana like this.
  4. Jedis Arch Mage

Bumping this up, since it recently came up in another thread elsewhere.

Can it get moved to the bug report forum, please?
  5. Zarkdon Augur

This is unavoidable with swarm pets. They just default to having the player name. Beastlords default pet name since the dawn of time was Soandso's Warder.

The pet name can be fixed with a potion from the marketplace, unfortunately the swarm pets cannot.
  6. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

When I win the powerball and buy EQ, the first change I make would be to remove all the 'a 's and 'an 's from mob names. It is convenient sometimes, I do have a hotkey with 5 lines of "/pause 100, /pet attack a" but I still strongly dislike them.
  7. Mukkul Augur

I experience this problem more with familiars than swarm pets, but yeah, same issue. And we are blocked from casting spells on familiars, so can't use Bind Sight on the familiar to look for the player to target them.
  8. Mukkul Augur

Absolutely not. "/pet attack a" is invaluable.
  9. Angahran Augur

Would it be possible to get a % variable that gives target's pet's name ?

We have %t for target, and there is one that provides YOUR pet's name (and just says 'pet' for anyone else).