far over trivial multiple failures almost in a row!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Qingwa, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Qingwa New Member

I petitioned this and was asked to share it as a bug.

I combine 5x Crystalline Silk Thread Thread in Sewing Kit to create Crystalline Silk Fiber but then it fails. I have 188 talioring. I went and fought to get more threads to do the combine again. I succeed this second time. I then combine 5x Glowing Crystalline Silk Piece with Fur-Lined Coldain Prayer Shawl a Large Sewing Kit to receive Silk Coldain Prayer Shawl. Trivial 115. Yet, once again IT FAILED. That is twice in 3 combines. That is 137 points over the first failed combine then 73 over the second. What is going on here?!

This isn't fair when I worked so hard to be able to make these combines without failure and they both still do. The grind to make the combine and then failed far above trivial failure rate is not conducive to fun game play.
  2. Qingwa New Member

Combine the following in a Jeweler’s Kit to create Encased Velium-Etched Rune. Jewelcrafting, Trivial 162.
    1x Rune Casing
    1x Velium Etched-Rune

Another trivial fail. What is going on here?
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Did you lose any items? Some combines are coded to fail several times before you get it, but iirc you dont lose anything except your patience.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

So far what I see is not a bug. It's bad luck.

A 1% chance of failure is still a chance to fail. It is possible (though unlikely) to fail 5 combines in a row that each have a 1% chance of failure.

What you have, from what I see, is feedback, not a bug report. Your feedback is that you feel that failing several combines below your skill level in a row, "is not conducive to fun game play". I agree. It is not conducive to fun game play.

So that's a complaint about the intended design of the tradeskill system. Not a report of a bug.

There indeed might be a bug in the combine system. But your post does not indicate to me there is. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    Aanuvane likes this.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

6. Velisaris_MS Augur

You been hit by...
    You been struck by...
    ...a RNG criminal.
    Toukan, Nennius and Knifen like this.
  7. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

FWIW, zone lag, like PoK can cause this too. I do all combines I can in guild hall.
  8. Mukkul Augur

I do all my tradeskills in PoK. My success/fail rate is normal. Even when doing thousands of combines using auto-combine, sure it pauses sometimes but that doesn't cause a recipe to fail. There is no reason why lag would cause the server to decide you're due for a failed combine.

If you're using the tradeskill window with a known recipe, it shows your success probability right on the combine button. (relatively new feature)
  9. Soulbanshee Augur

Trivial is not equal to Failure. There are some recipes with 100% chance, but those are the exception not the standard.

Salvage AA - recover materials on failure
    TS Mastery AA - reduces the chance of failing a recipe
    TS Trophy - increases TS skill level
  10. Loup Garou De loop de loop

None of the items you are making are marked "no fail".

If this were the case here then it would be a bug.

Even with that drought of the craftsman there is a minuscule chance of fail but at least you get all your mats back.
  11. Trebla7th Augur

Given an initial failure as a starting point... failing 3 out of 4 combines (2 out of the next 3) that have 95% success rate is expected just under 1% of the time (0.75% if I mathed correctly, no lower than 0.25%... my stats memory is fuzzy). Small, but not unheard of. I don't know what the success rate is on these recipes (not a tradeskiller usually), but I seem to recall 5% failure rate being pretty standard for trivial recipes.
  12. Soulbanshee Augur

Neither are learned so we cannot see the trivial or success rate.
  13. Alnitak Augur

Also, quoting Ngreth:
    "well. #1, there are recipes in the game with an increased failure rate. Not confirming or denying it with this, but you can't automatically say that formula is wrong"
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...eskills-probabilty-of-success-formula.250617/
  14. Soulbanshee Augur

I'd pin quest combines having the increased failure rate.

Anecdotally, I've felt that the first combine (learned) has a lower chance of success than after you have learned it. Example the researched augs, it feels like I get ~50-60% success when learning, and the 84% success (with trophy) after learning. I can also say that its likely small sample bias that is coloring my opinion.