Do warriors have an Invulnerability ability?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by MachoSod, Feb 18, 2023.

1. MachoSod Lorekeeper

My main is a necro but I’m working on leveling a real tank. Do warriors get an Invulnerability AA like a necros Harmshield?

I’ve figured out pain don’t hurt in combo with one of the stances. But when tanking a bunch of mobs that goes quick… maybe I’m just doing it wrong.
  2. Szilent Augur

Invulnerability is really really bad for most classes, in battle, since one can't swing weapons or cast spells or activate abilities while Invulnerable. Invulnerable characters go to the bottom of enemies' hate lists, since they're not a threat while it's on, so a tank's agro goes away completely until it wears off. Invulnerability wouldn't be a great thing for warriors to have in EQ.

What you MAY be interested in is /disc Fortitude, which makes all enemies miss the warrior in combat temporarily. It's very powerful, but has a long reuse time. /disc Flash is usable much more frequently, but "only" makes the warrior Parry all attacks coming from the warrior's front. Still very good, though, for taking a tick off from taking most melee hits.
  3. MachoSod Lorekeeper

Thanks! Yeah fortitude and flash will help. It is really challenging to know which ones stack and which ones don’t… I need to pay more attention to each dis and ability.

On a side note, this is mostly for PLing a couple of new guys. Im pulling like 30 mobs which are substantially under me but pain don’t hurt goes pretty quick. Im actually pretty surprised at how fast it goes.
  4. Lluianae Elder

While you don't have access to one innately, you can consider trying to farm the following DA clickies:
    They do, however, have an 8 hour cooldown. It's better than nothing!

DAs are situational in use where you can use them to mass pull without DS/riposte damaging things enough to start you getting chain summoned, at least in the case for mass pulling for PLs or swarming.

You might be able to argue using one as a last resort tool to avoid death when nothing else is up, and hope a Cleric in your group has Divine Arbitration or their Epic 1.5/2.0 up as that's the only "heal" that can pierce invulnerability.

Otherwise, their main use will be in raids for avoiding the detrimental effects of certain emotes in raids. It's actually absurd how much you can ignore with invulns in mind in contemporary raids. Especially as a cleric.
    minimind likes this.
  5. Szilent Augur

…and hope that cleric isn't flattened by all the monsters that they're suddenly taking hits from that were capable first of killing the tank character?

Invulnerabl-ing hoping for a specialized heal from the character you just, functionally, trained to death is not what we in the business would describe as a Tanking Strategy.
  6. Lluianae Elder

It's a bit narrow to think of it purely in the case of a tank having gotten low, with nothing else available, mid-tanking. Gotta think more creatively!

Arb is 0 aggro (while epic is subject to heal recognition checks), it has always been a tool to use on pullers since it was ever a thing. Warrior gets low while pulling a mass, doesn't have Fort or other things up, DAs and just stands there while no one else has aggro, gets balanced, clicks DA off and goes ham. This is specifically relating to the OPs idea.

If we want to be in a hypothetical extreme situation land where a tank used DA while tanking a mass, then we also should be last after the rest of a group on the aggro list given we have Silent Casting and would use it then, and they'd announce it in group/voice so the Cleric could react to it, then once healed, the tank immediately clicks it off and resumes having all of them on him after. If the tank is playing both, then they know when anyways. There may be other casualties along the way, better them than the Cleric!

Furthermore, a Cleric who hasn't BDA'd someone vulnerable in their group, typically a non-tank (e.g. ripping early aggro), only to Arb them when possible shortly after hasn't used their emergency toolkit fully, similarly with using Blessing of Sanctuary.
  7. Wulfhere Augur

Also paladin Aurora line of spells.
    Lluianae likes this.
  8. Lluianae Elder

Interesting, noted. I'm surprised I don't remember that spell line. When was it introduced?
  9. Wulfhere Augur

Aurora of Morrow was introduced in SoF in 2007. Originally a paladin could chain cast it and remain out-of-combat (i.e. fast mana regen) because SPA 400 (Healburn or Divine Arb) alone doesn't generate aggro. In 2010, the Aurora spell line was patched to include beneficial (heal) witness hate to force the paladin into combat.