I'm very upset. I have no idea what to do. I love EQ but....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Grtoski, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Cadira Augur

Most of these comments are pretty unconstructive. Sorry about that! I'll lay the reality out for ya but it's pretty firm and straight to the point.

Eq has never been solo friendly outside of a few exceptions, so needing help is the norm. For the past 15? years eq has been pretty much entirely top heavy, no one plays at lower levels and that's not going to change.

With all of that said, if you want to get into high end raiding without boxing, you're going to have to find a bad mofo to help you get caught all the way up from your lvl 100 heroic, or pay for said help. Best case is you find a helpful newbie guild and work from there. Use /overseers. Choose your class wisely....something you not only find fun, something that is actually sought after in groups and raids, but also something that takes however much work you're willing to put in to make great - for instance, tanks and most melee dps take a lotta work to be good, casters can squeeze more out with less effort etc. Nec, mag, chanter, bard, usually healers of any kind, should be a shoe in with minimal work. If you want to play a currently "weak" class that also takes a lotta work (zerker, monk) you're going to be in very, very rough waters to obtaining your goal.

My recommendation: xfer or start on Xegony (you prob know you can delete you heroic and remake on another server), join Lions of the heart or/and then champions of norrath. Help bastards in both guilds. Can do some raiding in con too.

If I'm around look up Skadira, I'll help ya with stuff. I've made this offer to several people on this forum and never been taken up. But people are quick to cry they can't get help....maybe you'll be the first one to take me up or maybe you'll be like everyone else!

If none of this sounds good to you, stop coming back or do a new tlp when it starts up.
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  2. Notinterested Augur

You say other comments are unconstructive but your first piece of advice is that they beg or pay for a PL on their heroic toon...

I wouldnt send them to some newbie guild to beg for a carry to 120 just to see if they like the game. They shouldnt have even bought the heroic toon to begin with. Thats part of the problem.

If they are going to actually play they should really shelf the heroic and play from 1 until they have a better grasp of the game. If they are overwhelmed as it is trying to learn a level 100 will simply be too much. If they hated the tutorial quests that much they are going to really hate the EQ late game. Tutorial is a solid indication of what the late game looks like. If they adamantly hated that then they wont be happy 110+.

Honestly i dont think EQ is for this person at all. Not live EQ at least...

My advice would to OP be to ignore everything this person said and stay away from live. Everything you have issues with only ever gets "worse" on live. TLP or P99 are your best bets and even then i doubt you will be happy. Not gate keeping just being honest based on what you said.
  3. Cadira Augur

He claimed he wanted to do end game raiding. Might as well expedite and get to the point where people can actually assist in getting there.

I mentioned he could do tlp in last sentence. Slogging through 100 lvls worth of obsolete content isn't going to teach you anything you aren't already going to have learn anyways at 120, might as well learn it then all at once. Trial by fire. Don't like it? Then live eq isn't for you. And that's ok.
  4. demi Augur

hmm is this frankthebank ? your issue sounds soo familiar .. NEW member
    but everyone is right TLP sounds like its for you .. that you cant handle Live EQ .. its no biggie just play on TLP .. sounds like you like original EQ better..
  5. Herf Augur

If you can live with a PoP/Ykesha/LDoN lock, try Agnarr.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

TLP won't work for him either - from last year:

He also mentions playing on live.

I think as unsatisfied as he is then there is not going to be any suggestion that will help him stay in the game.
  7. FranktheBank Augur

Literally the best advice. Find a guild and get carried to 120. Or get carried to 120 and find a guild. Have them teach you how to play.

What? You clearly are absolutely awful at paying attention. My complaints about the new player experience are not self-serving. Personally, I have a guild that will (and has) helped me create a heroic and had it raid ready by the end of the week.

Just for a moment, I want you to believe in a world where people have opinions about game systems that aren't problems they themselves have experienced, but rather can see are a general problem.

Also, p99 is idiotic.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Just in case you dont know EQ is not new player friendly there a lot of stuff with eq its a old game. Make a char that solo's well SK, Mage, Necro sure theres a few others but in the end you gotta find a class you like playing for me its my Ranger although i do have a 120 Mage. Best of luck to you eq is not easy to learn but keep at it and you will be hooked.
  9. Marton Augur

From what you wrote, I would say that EQ is probably not a game for you.

To get a brand new toon up to speed (raid ready) takes some serious research and a lot of help. People with 6 maxed toons do it easily; people with 1 lvl 120 character do it but still have to pay/coerce friends to help with missions if they want their new toon to be a decent character with a good mount, trophies, heroic aa's etc.

Overseer gets you levels, all the way up to 120, but the amount of aa's and things that need to be done is enormous and it will take a lot of time.

The grind is long, extremely boring, zero fun, and if you don't have friends to get help from, or you are not a loner to enjoy the solo ride, there are better options out there for you.

EQ is not the only show in town.
  10. FYAD Augur

Getting into EQ from scratch (or back into EQ from a significant time off) and getting to the point where you can effectively play with the majority of the player base on a live server is a minimum 2-3 year investment. And that's assuming that you can box 2-3 characters. You can cut that down if you know people already established who can carry you through content. It will probably take you a week's worth of average playtime just sitting there configuring your UI and figuring out just what the heck all the spells and AAs do, which one's you should be using and which ones are useless before you ever set out to actually play the game.
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

epic done the first week. if stuff is that easy yea people will lose interest.
  12. kookoo Augur

humm , just with overseer ( when you can get level 5 quest ) i can get easy one level ( 10 to 15 % reg xp per day ) in about 9 days ,, not counting all the xp you can get killing mobs ,
    definitively not taking 2 or 3 years to catch up.

@ grtoski what class are you playing ? if you are struggling atm you should play a ** real ** solo class , any class can do well up to level 60 ~ 70 with the OP mercs , then it can be a problem if your are not a real solo class or not knowing much what you doing.

if you delete it you can use it to any of live servers. btw heroic toon come with crappy armors . it is not helping players who don't know much what to do,

ps:: if you are playing in firiona vie and knowing your name i could help you.

and don't forget to use overseer once being level 85 or higher, it is slow at the start , but will be a great help later , specially when you hit level 111 and higher,
  13. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

True takes awhile with overseer til u can do level 5 quests. Bad news when you get a nice high level quest but you lack the rare's or elites to do it. I always figured 10 per level with overseer once you can do level 5's np. Once you hit 111 its a brick wall with normal mobs.
  14. Iven the Lunatic

TLP servers should be your game. Live is totally broken and boxing for most classes a must have. Play a NEC, MAG, BST or SHD and you can molo fine. Dual boxing is not complicated but can take a few days of practice to get used to it. Start with an easy second box class like a NEC; DRU or SHM and throw a few DoTs on the mobs per hotbutton one or two times during a fight.

It is very situational if it is an MMO or not. Theoretically it is one but practically it is often not. The game is very top heavy.

You can just grind, its is not complicated to find suitable content and 3rd party sites and the forums do provide much infos. Quests are totally optional. But if you expect that everything is gonna be served to you on a silver plate the problem is you and not the game.

You don't have to do all that stuff. Just grind but forget about finding groups, build your own one and invite other players but don't act like a newbie. You can at least use a merc to make things much easier.

Yep. It is not really complicated, it is just complex but most things are optional. You can still play like in 1999 but in easy mode because of mercs, defiant gear, advanced loot window, free corpse retrievals in guild lobby, no more corpse runs, etc.

Then don't do the tutorial, because it is a bit weird, but many players do love it. Just start like in 1999 in zones like GFAY, BB, and EFP.
  15. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Why do so many players quit around the Planes of Power expansion?

Exhibit A: This thread

Just level...Opens up the map...5000 different zones
    Just download Brewall's maps...PoK's map looks like someone threw paint at it
    Just do quests...Googles quests...5000 different quests
    Just research a little...Reads about 1 out of 29 expansions
    Just go out and kill stuff...I'll camp these mobs...twenty levels later...you ruined important faction
    Just browse the forums...Shaman dots are bad (2015)...Shaman dots are overpowered (2022)
    Just play the game...Guild halls + teleports, power sources, heroic achievements, overseer, evolving items, instances with minimum player requirements, new currencies, loyalty points, pet earrings, etc.
    Just reach level 110...Guilds require the following items, AA's, etc before you can apply
    Just enjoy the social aspect of EQ...Day 103...I have discovered another player in my zone...They left

I don't think the veterans realize how much information they've acquired over the past two decades. I like to make spreadsheets for my characters, and every class' spreadsheet turns into a huge undertaking. Each class has basic item and quest requirements which take up a lot of time to figure out and complete.

I feel like I have to play Everquest on one screen and browse Allakhazam on another monitor or else I will eventually get lost in the world of Norrath.
    Metanis and Dre. like this.
  16. Riou EQResource

That should be a nicer thing about the TLP servers is that you work your way up to where live players are and only have to learn an expansion at a time as it adds features or places

Based on getting bored in like a week with nothing to do, that is indeed an issue with the TLP start, but as the expansions open there is a more to do vs the limited initial TLP stuff
  17. code-zero Augur

And you think veteran players don't?
    Metanis likes this.
  18. Cicelee Augur

I completely disagree with everything the OP says.

I believe s/he knows exactly what they have to do to accomplish their goal of joining a high end rairing guild. S/he is simply either (a) unwilling to put for the time, patience and energy it takes to get to that point, or (b) they want to get to that point ASAP and don't want/have the time it takes to get there.

Every high end raiding guild on live lists its requirements. Every high end live raiding guild states what classes they are looking for- find a class they all need, choose that class. Kill thousands upon thousands of mobs, do Overseers, get 120, join high end before or after 120, profit.

Knowing what to do is not hard. It is the actual doing that seems to be hard for OP.
    Szilent, Iven, demi and 1 other person like this.
  19. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

I have a hypothetical question for you:

Guild ABC is in desperate need of a Magician Main. You love the Magician class, therefore, you're going to create a new mage with the sole intention of joining guild ABC. Their recruitment requirements are: be level 120, appropriate gear, AA's, flags, keys, etc.

From level 1 to level 120, how would your leveling, questing, gearing, etc go? You cannot group with anyone until you are level 110. You do not box. No one will powerlevel you. Explain it to me like I've been playing on P99 for a decade, and I've never experienced much past Luclin/Pop. Give me your list of to-do's.
  20. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

I get lost. You probably just get annoyed because you've forgotten where a mob is after so many years.