Shorten Overseer quest duration by 30 min

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Axxius, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Axxius Augur

This has been asked before. But maybe this time...

Please reduce the duration of Overseer quests from 24h to 23.5h, and from 12h to 11.5h.

If you do Overseer once or twice a day at about the same time, you constantly run into this annoying issue: your quests have several more minutes before completion. If you wait that much, next time you will have to wait more, and it gets worse. Naturally, you have to click 'Finish Now' and buy the completion for 4 dbc, wasting your time and creating a completely meaningless transaction that only adds lag to the system.

Just shorten them by 30 min already.
    Wulfhere, Andarriel, alanus and 21 others like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think an hour would be better but even 30 minutes would be a big help
    Moege, Nennius, Tallie and 1 other person like this.
  3. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Probably the most reasonable request posted on these forums in a long time. This would definitely be an improvement.
    Nennius, FYAD and Tallie like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd prefer an hour. But 30 mins would be better than they are now.
    Nennius, FYAD and Tallie like this.
  5. Thunderkiks Augur

I would love this!
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Sokon Augur

past member bump!
    should be easy to understand why this is a good idea as explained above.
    but especially fot people, leaders etc that put in the effort to make a raid schedule work; grind beta, push content until raids are on farm.
    Some people play this game mostly for raids and having a schedule that works well for their life and responsibilities shouldn't be undermined by having to do overseer tasks at a different time every single day.
    A 30 minute reduction would fix it.
    This suggestion was made repeatedly by those types of players.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. tanith Augur

Perhaps it needs to be spelled out that each overseer quest takes *much* longer to set up than intended. This became obvious to me on Beta where I could setup each quest in single digit no of seconds. On Live (AB), i just did some timings...
    Use autofill - 65 - 95 seconds to populate quest.
    Claim a quest 35 -71 seconds
    Start quest - 45 - 75 seconds from pressing the start button
    Time from typing /ov for it to unfreeze/become active: circa 60 seconds
    This is pretty typical.
    (this is with no 'other' lag, fast connection etc)
    If you do this twice a day, the 'time creep' becomes significant
    Mukkul likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

That may be intentional to encourage folks to use small amounts of DB cash to finish things.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If 2000 people pay 4 sc two times a day every day on average, that's $58,400 a year. Not a lot, but almost pays for a dev.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. Terethian Elder

Those delays are insane. I play in 800x600 classic models, yes, it was a challenge to stretch overseer window but it just barely works.
    Takes me 3 to 6 seconds for any overseer clicks with the biggest lag factor if I have to reopen /overseer. But i usually have it minimized and ready to go.

(Yes, graphics and resolution are meaningless to me. I am an old dragon realms and gemstone 3 player from America online days.)
  11. FranktheBank Augur

Now we wait for the contrarians to come out and say why this is a terrible idea and a technical nightmare.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Always thought it was a good idea but not sure we will see a change.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And when those folks are 5 sc short on something they want right away they buy more sc or have to wait another month. Just saying because I have been there done that. :)
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

OK...that delay is bonkers.

I have 3 accounts that have been doing OS practically every day since it was introduced. I have hundreds (maybe in the thousands by now) of agents. I stopped doing conversions when it became clear new agents were going to be acquired via the seasonal tasks, and not through conversions, so it's been a while since I've done any conversions because they're kinda pointless when you have all the agents and you're maxed on categories.

I have never had that kind of delay. Maybe 2-3 seconds to start up, and then a random amount of time to go through the recovered agents list (this is where I see the biggest delay based on how many agents are recovered). Autofill takes maybe 2-3 seconds. Starting a task takes maybe 5-6 seconds, and finishing a task about 2-3 seconds (the critical successes that award agents take a couple of seconds longer for some reason). Plus a few seconds on particularly laggy days, but nothing like what you're seeing.

Honestly, it sounds like there's something else causing the delays, other than just Overseer being Overseer.
  15. Gialana Augur

For me, the only time it's taken a long time to open the Overseer window is if I minimize it and close it. Then it takes a long time to reopen when I type /over.
    Mukkul likes this.
  16. Iven Antonius Bayle

The quests do have those annoying time lenghts because it is intended that the players do buy the finishers. It must be good money for DBG because else they would had changed that already long ago.
  17. Iven Antonius Bayle

It is very slow here also but not as bad as yours. Two things that you could do:
    1. Get a new computer because Overseer is VERY CPU intensive
    2. Reduce the amount of agents by converting them
  18. tanith Augur

If the problem was my end, surely I would have had the same issues on Beta?
  19. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

No idea, but I can definitely say that on Tunare, I can claim my 5 completed rewards; go through and convert as necessary; and choose, auto-fill, & start all 5 new quests in less than 2 minutes. So if it is taking you between 2 minutes & 20 seconds to 4 minutes 1 second to claim 1 reward, choose 1 quest, auto-fill that 1 quest, and start that 1 quest; then there is definitely something wrong with your setup on your end or something specific to AB.
  20. Strawberry Augur

Daybreak is comparable in size to a small indie developer. An average indie developer is paid $84,530 a year. Closer to $100,000 in San Diego where Daybreak is based.

"As of Feb 11, 2023, the average annual pay for an Indie Game Developer in the United States is $84,530 a year."