Info Needed Overseer character xp amount reduced - intentional? bug? just me?? D:

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Eviara, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Eviara Journeyman

Ever since the patch on Wednesday, I've been getting about a quarter of the character exp I used to get from overseer mission rewards. I haven't seen anyone else mention it, which is why I'm unsure what's going on, lol. Here are a few examples:

12-hour:
    [Fri Dec 23 01:32:15 2022] You gain experience! (1.000%)
    [Fri Dec 23 01:32:15 2022] You have successfully been granted your reward for: A Touch of Valor
    [Sat Feb 18 06:31:29 2023] You gain experience! (0.270%)
    [Sat Feb 18 06:31:29 2023] You have successfully been granted your reward for: A Touch of Valor

[Sun Jan 29 18:37:08 2023] You gain experience! (1.000%)
    [Sun Jan 29 18:37:08 2023] You have successfully been granted your reward for: Steal the Spy
    [Sat Feb 18 06:31:32 2023] You gain experience! (0.270%)
    [Sat Feb 18 06:31:32 2023] You have successfully been granted your reward for: Steal the Spy

24-hour:
    [Sat Dec 24 05:40:34 2022] You gain experience! (1.800%)
    [Sat Dec 24 05:40:34 2022] You have successfully been granted your reward for: Hot Oil
    [Sat Feb 18 06:58:53 2023] You gain experience! (0.486%)
    [Sat Feb 18 06:58:53 2023] You have successfully been granted your reward for: Hot Oil

(I don't tend to run the 6-hour ones so I'm having trouble finding good logs for those.)

Checking the current potential rewards, I'm seeing 0.15% for a 6-hour mission, 0.27% for a 12-hour, and 0.49% for a 24-hour mission. Prior to the patch, I was getting 1% per 12-hour, I think ~0.55% per 6-hour, and 1.8% per 24-hour mission.

I've been claiming the rewards on a high-90s shaman, and her level (99) did not change between pre- and post-patch amounts, but there was a very substantial reduction in exp granted. My second account is also getting the reduced exp amounts, which makes me think it's either a bug or a stealth nerf. That account doesn't have overseers maxed yet, so it's a big headache trying to check the logs for more details.

I hope it's not intentional; the previous rate felt very reasonable -- a small exp bump to bolster a main character, or to very slowly level a lesser played alt, or to off-set exp loss from deaths. I realize it's basically free exp, but this reduced amount doesn't feel worth taking compared to the other, seemingly unaffected rewards (the tradeskill and tetradrachms rewards seem unchanged, unsure of the other rewards).
    Wulfhere, Mukkul, GrandOpener and 5 others like this.
  2. Brickhaus Augur

This is not happening for me across several accounts. All my xp rewards from tasks have been as they were before the patch.

Your issue is definitely strange.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

Without more info, just looking at what you posted (using a level 99 toon, as opposed to a max level toon), it almost looks like the "before" amounts, based on the dates, were coming from a bonus xp period, and now you're seeing the amounts with normal xp.

That's just my first thought.
  4. Gialana Augur

It's possibly a bug and possibly a bugged account/character.

Here's a bug report from October where someone was getting less experience on one account from Overseer's, but not nearly to the extent you're seeing:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/exp-for-overseer-quests-changed-bugged.285859/

On a level 120 and 100 character, I'm seeing 1.00% experience in the reward preview for a 12-hour level 5 common quest. I de-levelled a level 100 character to 99 and still saw 1.00% experience in the preview. On a level 86 character, the reward preview for the 12-hour level 5 common quest did show only 0.96%, which I think is the amount of experience mentioned in the linked bug report.

If it is a difference, I don't have any perks.
  5. Brickhaus Augur

His before/better numbers are exactly what I'm seeing for those tasks, not during any bonus periods.
  6. Eviara Journeyman

Yeah, I saw some bonus period exp bumps in my logs and made sure I got some normal, non-bonus exp messages to include. I did see some slight discrepancies, like in the post Gialana linked, but I think that must've been some kinda rounding issue or level-specific reward amount or something. Most of the non-bonus hits were consistent.

I think y'all are right and that my shamans on both accounts (and maybe my rogue) are just inexplicably bugged. I checked all the overseer-capable characters on each account, using the 24-hour "Blood Drive" mission reward preview as a point of comparison since it was available to look at and both accounts have Research leveled to 5:

Account A:
    105 druid - 2.80% from 24-hour mission (much higher for some reason)
    99 shaman - 0.49% from 24-hour mission
    87 mage - 1.80% from 24-hour mission
    85 rogue - 0.49% (??? )
    85 ranger - 1.80% (??? both 85s are getting different amounts)

Account B:
    105 ench - 2.80% from 24-hour (also showing a lot more than usual)
    97 shaman - 0.49% from 24-hour mission

Super weird! Dunno what to make of it.
  7. Tweakfour17 Augur

2.8% on a 24h mission usually indicates it was a critical success. That's what you see in your /reward window or in the over seer window with 'preview reward' before even starting the task?
  8. Eviara Journeyman

All of the amounts shown were from the "preview reward" window. There are too many weird facets going on here and I am so confused, lol
  9. NyteShayd Elder

10. Velisaris_MS Augur

Are the amounts you're seeing from when you press the "preview reward" button, before you've even started the task? Or are they coming from the preview after you've started it? Or are they these amounts you're seeing in the reward window after you've finished it?
  11. Eviara Journeyman

In the post where I was comparing characters' rewards, I was previewing the mission before starting it (not committing to it since I already had active, unfinished missions running). The missions're done now though, so I checked a different, completed 24-hour mission ("Orcs Can Write?") using the preview reward button on the same characters and got the same previewed reward results (0.49% on 99 shaman and 85 rogue, 1.8% on 87 mage and 85 ranger, 2.8% on 105 druid).

Had two 12-hour gray missions completed, so I claimed one on the 85 ranger and one on the 85 rogue. Ranger showed 1% as a reward when previewed from both the Active Quests tab and also from the actual reward window. When claimed, exp went from 12.797% to 13.797%, so the amount preview was accurate for her. Ditto for the rogue, except it showed 0.27% and granted as much (went from 26.390% to 26.660%). They only difference I can see is that the ranger has vitality and the rogue doesn't; however, I don't think vitality has been affecting the exp rewards from overseer since I haven't had vitality in ages on the shamans and they were getting consistent, seemingly normal amounts until the patch. I just don't get it. :(
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I would question the XP given on the 23 and 24th of December just due to xp bonuses around that time. Without knowing if those were critical successes as well as looking up the quest in question and nailing down everything. Not all quests are the same. Just because one is 24 hours or 12 hours or 6 hours does not mean that it will reward the same xp amount. The amount of XP given varies by level of quest and tier of type. And just different quests of the same kind and same level can vary. Then with critical successes increasing the differences further as well as xp bonuses at times.
  13. Eviara Journeyman

I tried to find log examples that were outside of exp bonus periods and that weren't critical successes. My memory isn't the greatest, so I referenced the EQ home page and EQ Resource's event calendar, and I didn't see any exp bonuses for that window. Some of my alts are unaffected, and they are getting these same exp amounts on normal, non-crit successes.
  14. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Going to chime in here.. because I just saw this today. I should have taken screen shots.

I had 2 characters with the identical research quest level, and difficulty rating.
    Name: But Taaaarrrrlll
    Difficulty: Common
    Level:5

One reported 1.73%
    The other reported .47%

[Sun Feb 19 11:41:12 2023] Your Overseer quest But Taaaarrrrlll has been completed.
    [Sun Feb 19 11:41:14 2023] You gain experience! (0.467%)
    [Sat Feb 18 20:33:15 2023] You have successfully been granted your reward for: But Taaaarrrrlll
    [Sat Feb 18 20:33:16 2023] You gain experience! (1.728%)

I picked up two new research quests, exactly the same:
    Name: Deep Research
    Difficulty: Easy
    Level:5

In the Overseer window, they reported the same rewards as those I was just granted.

I zoned both into the Guild Lobby (one was in the lobby, reporting 1.73% and one in PoK reporting .47%) They now both display 1.73%

Edit:

I just zoned one back to PoK and it shows .47% Will post SS's after I upload them

Edit 2: Screen shots

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Mukkul, Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Eviara like this.
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

OK, that's...bizarre.

The xp amount you're seeing while the toon is in PoK is what I would expect to see for a lvl 86 toon doing Overseer. The amount you're seeing while in the Lobby is what I would expect on a max level toon.

Now I'm curious what the xp amounts would be in other zones, like the guildhall and combat zones. I may have to check it myself when I get a chance.
  16. Eviara Journeyman

Oh snap, it -is- PoK! My shamans and rogue were all in PoK while the other characters were elsewhere. Zoned the 99 shaman into GL and her overseer rewards returned to normal, then they screwed up again when I zoned back into PoK.I don't know how or why that is happening, but I reckon we're closer to finding out. Yay! :D
  17. Gialana Augur

It's a fantastic lead, but it's not universal. On Emarr, I'm seeing the correct experience values in PoK. I do wonder if it's a buggy interplay with perks. I have none.
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Not seeing the change myself, but I also have not gotten those specific quests, and am not at level 5 on anything yet. It is entirely possible that the specific quests are messed up in some way.
  19. Eviara Journeyman

No perks here either, but I'm on Ragefire. I'm currently hopping back and forth between PoK and GL and it seems, based off some very slap-dash and limited investigation, that it's various percentage-based rewards that are being affected while in PoK? Numbers while on a 97 shaman:

Old Man McKenzie group mission "Ancient Heroes - Nagafen's Lair":
    1% exp, 4.94% of a merc AA while in GL
    0.27% exp, 1.33% of a merc AA while in PoK

Collection "A Tracker's Guide to Shard's Landing":
    0.02 levels worth of exp, 9.88% of a merc AA while in GL
    0.02 levels worth of exp, 2.67% of a merc AA while in PoK

Achievement "Mercenary of Shard's Landing":
    7.28% exp, 35.94% of a merc AA while in GL
    1.96% exp, 9.70% of a merc AA while in PoK

Interestingly, the player experience from collection reward previews didn't seem to be affected. It's written in a different format, as "0.02 levels worth of experience" instead of "0.02% of the experience required to go from level 97 to 98". Mercenary AA experience amounts were also being altered across zones, and are listed with percentage signs, so I wonder if it's something weird to do with how the reward elements are labeled? Maybe also limited to TLPs? idk, man, idk

(edited to add merc exp amounts to the OMM part, forgot to check + add that before posting initially)
  20. Tweakfour17 Augur

The collection exp reward being a static 2% is new as of January's patch. Nice job figuring out PoK is funky, is that where you saw 2.8% for a normal 24h task as well on your 105 Druid on "account A"?