Reducing Stress on Wrists

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KushallaFV, Feb 15, 2023.

1. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Swapped to a vertical mouse, and I can't believe I didn't think of doing it sooner. Highly recommend it, too.

Anyone else have some other tips for reducing stress on the hands and wrist?
  2. Draggoone Journeyman

3. Nennius Curmudgeon

I use a mouse pad with a wrist support. Like this:

[IMG]
  4. Loup Garou De loop de loop

My issue is where the right side of my right hand rests has developed a hard spot on the round bone where the hand meets the wrist.

I did try the mouse pad like Nennius shows and the vertical mouse but both of them still make the pressure point on that hard area. There is no pain - just worried it might grow into a problem
  5. Strawberry Augur

When your wrist is in pain it is a warning sign that your body gives you to stop what you were doing.

-There are people with RSI who stop using a PC for a while, and RSI will go away.

-There are also people with RSI who continue to do what they're doing, don't listen to their body, and in those people RSI no longer goes away and they are in daily pain, even if they never use a PC.

My advice would be to stop using a PC until the pain goes away. Vertical mice still put pressure on wrists and tendons.

If you want to continue using a PC. The best way to do this is to use a tablet for moving a mouse pointer on your PC, like a Wacom.
  6. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I think this post was about how to reduce stress, not about pain one already has. This way we can circumvent getting to the point where it pains us. I thought I saw another thread about wrist pain that might be of interest.
  7. Roxas MM Augur

use more hotkeys
  8. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

I started having wrist pain and pain in my index finger from clicking recently. I got a vertical mouse, which helped a little, but what really helped me was getting a keyboard tray. The distance from the floor -> keyboard -> hands -> top of desk -> monitor / aligned with your field of view is important. I used to have my keyboard sit on my desk. Now it is a little below my armrests and my hands are more "resting" down on the keyboard and mouse slightly than having to lift up to reach the keyboard/mouse.

Having adjustable armrests on your chair can also be a big help (mine are not adjustable). I've been looking at getting a refurbished version of some of the really nice ergonomic chairs.

After the keyboard tray seemed to help a lot I switched back to my old mouse. I had a hard time not using it because there aren't a lot of options for programmable stuff that is also ergonomic. I also had issues finding stuff that worked for me because I have small hands.
  9. Razorfall Augur

I have a similar mousepad, but it's a character from a video game and the wrist rest is....well, I'll leave you to your imagination on that ;)
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Enquiring minds want to know.
  11. Windance Augur

When I use a standard mouse + desktop arrangement for more than 2-3 hours I will feel the strain in my wrist/arm.

I switched from a mouse to using a thumb trackball a long time ago and it is a game changer for me.

I have a lazyboy recliner and place the keyboard on my lap with the trackball on the armrest. The size of the recliner is critical to having a good, neutral, angle between your shoulders -> elbow -> wrist.

If you are having RSI issues when you are using your PC I would highly suggest you take a look at your posture and arm/wrist placement first. Then figure out what changes you can make so the strain is reduced.

https://i.ibb.co/q1Cx6Px/Capture.jpg

Follow up question. How do you embed pictures? I tried half a dozen things at random and so far all I get are the broken image icon ...
  12. Iven the Lunatic

Mouse size and form do matter. Many are to high and not ergonomic. It does not have to be an exotic vertical one but it should slightly tend into that direction, The table hight and mouse position should be adjusted so that arm and hand are in one line and not bended. Removing the side pieces of a chair can also help.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  13. Greymantle Augur

Use a trackball, not a mouse. I use a computer at work for 6-7 hours then come home and play for another 4-6 each day. done so for decades. Never had any issue with carple tunnel or sore hands/wrists. All of my family uses them both at home & work.
  14. FranktheBank Augur

Move with your arm not your wrist.
  15. Strawberry Augur

Just right click your source image, copy the direct link to your image, and paste it in the insert image forum option.

This forum can't host images, it needs a direct link to an image from a 3rd party host. It supports links to jpeg, png and gif.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Stymie and Nennius like this.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Be nice if there was a option to buy stacks at a time from vendors. With Tradeskill Depot i buy alot of the little stuff off vendors like water flask ect and i buy alot and it takes a long time when u can only buy 100 at a time.
  17. Sebbina Augur

I have a washcloth folded once then rolled tight, and an elastic to hold its shape, makes a nice squeeze toy. I can when I choose get both hands on to do some restressing to offset repetitive motion, also a long sock with the foot part cut off and slid over the wrist end of the hand even better if it is double thick.
  18. Iven the Lunatic

I got another one:

Type mouse into the windows search bar and increase the cursor speed.
    You have to move your hand less by doing so.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I just ctrl c the image and then click in here, anywhere in the body, and crtl v and it copies it just fine.

Used to use IMGUR and it was super easy to take a screenshot from the game and edit it to copy here but IMGUR changed the editing tool so its impossible to use now. But if you wanted to use the entire screenshot without editing it then IMGUR works the same way - just ctrl c to copy it etc. It also offers the ability to use all those url if you wanted.

Haven't found one as easy as that used to be.
  20. Thraine Augur

this is the real trick here, if you can manage to run your toon without a mouse itll help a lot. i have over the years gotten use to Alt + # for casting spells, i got a few cool targeting keys too ... i still use the mouse, but i can go entire raid events without using the mouse sometimes