Save raid group set

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Spalderdash, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Spalderdash New Member

Is it possible we'll ever see the ability to save a raid group setting? This usually takes a long time and being able to save a set and move people around as needed would be great. ;)
    pajo33, Ishbu, Raccoo and 7 others like this.
  2. Maedhros High King

This would be awesome.
    Obviously we have been able to plod along without it for years and as with anything, the more often a person does something they usually tend to improve at it, but it would definitely make a nice quality of life improvement to have a saved layout tool.
    Spalderdash and Lubianx like this.
  3. filthytlpplayer Elder

This would be an improvement for raids where the same players consistently show up. The current tooling isn't great and because it is limited in scope it's a great candidate for some improvements. Saved sets would be a good bandaid solution to form the basis of a raid, but this can also be addressed by raid policies, establishing a "group leader" role within a raid group, and predefined groups for those leaders to invite before receiving a raid invite. Doesn't play well with the "invite all" button but it's a workable solution that serves the same need without any development requirement.

If they were to improve the raid tool, I'd like to see broader improvements. Get away from the concept of "a raid is a group of groups" and more toward the concept of "a raid is a group larger than 6 players." De-emphasize the importance of group formation, introduce raid frames. I wonder if this would work at all with how ADPS works presently being very group focused, definitely some challenges to solve, but a good candidate for a system that needs improving especially due to the limited scope of the improvement.

Just advocating for thinking outside of the box for improvements as opposed to putting a bandaid on the current state and calling it done for the foreseeable future.
    Spalderdash and FYAD like this.
  4. Jogath Journeyman

100% support this. Very solid improvement. Agreed that better toolign would be nice, but won't say no to incremental if its easy to implement.
  5. Jedis Arch Mage

You don't enjoy the pre-raid mini game of musical groups? ;) I thought that was a feature!
  6. Xhartor Augur

A lot of expansion have raids that more specific group design, so whoever is running the raid has to spend a bunch of time setting all the groups, this wastes a lot of time.

Example of this:
    Phase 1 & 2 of Time. 54 character limit, set into 18 character teams. Once Phase 3 starts the cap goes up 72 character and more people come into the raid.

Being able to load Phase 1&2 saved set makes getting ready to go faster. Once you start phase 3, load the Plane of time or general raid group.
  7. Windance Augur

I like the idea and I'm for it,

But, ... I'm going to play the devils advocate.

Unless you have a very consistent raid force the raid leader is still going to have to shuffle people around to fill in for the missing people. The more churn in your raid the force the worse that is going to be.

Taking the example of plane of time where you go from 3x sets of groups each balanced to do tank/heal/dps you recombine your force into one. You hit the load PoT raid set button and it starts reshuffling people and creating new gaps in the groups when people who were in the "save" set are missing leaving you with 5? 10? 15 ? people to then reshuffle and rebalance.

---------------------------------------------------------

There are two things I'd love to see them "Fix":

#1 - Lock/Unlock the raid in order to move people. This is probably there to prevent some race condition but it's super annoying when the server is lagging and it takes 5-10-15s before the raid window updates then you get spammed with 10x messages.

#2 - When you go to move people from a group and the last person "falls" to the ungrouped pile before you can move them.

Example:

G1: has 4 people
    G2: has 2 people: Tom, Jerry

I've got the raid locked, I pick tom and move him to G1. Jerry is now the only person in G2 and he falls to the ungrouped section at the bottom.

Now I've got to scroll down to the bottom and try to remember was it Jerry or Jenny who was in G2 and needs to get moved to G1 ?

Its minor but annoying!
  8. Ishbu Augur

What I wouldnt give for them to decide to not break my custom UI completely with a UI revamp and instead, or at least first, completely redesign the raid window/features
    filthytlpplayer likes this.
  9. filthytlpplayer Elder

Yeah thats what I was thinking about too. To tweak the idea a little bit I wonder if instead of individual players it could be set up to use classes or archetypes, and then auto fill into those slots when invites go out. Then you wouldnt be stuck with specific players but could still define what your tank group should look like vs what your melee dps group should look like.

To add to your list of wants, another hopefully simple one would be to remove the group leader flag from people when they get removed from a raid group. Sometimes with a mass invite its easier to just reset and disband all the groups. When that happens it can be hard to just start building because some people retain the group leader flag and if its a full 12 group raid you cant build groups until you find those and get them added to a group. Maybe even just an indication in the ungrouped panel as far as who is a group leader would be enough there.
  10. FranktheBank Augur

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.