Why is the raid out of combat regen timer so long?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Atomos, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Atomos Augur

What is the point of it being 5 minutes long? Like from a gameplay perspective, what exactly is being added to the gameplay for raid targets (including regular trash mobs!) forcing you to wait 5 minutes before you regen at a reasonable speed? Especially when all people have to do is relog to bypass the timer? Which takes at most 1 minute, generally less.

Can we discuss having this lowered? For people to stop just relogging it will have to be pretty low unfortunately, like 1 minute. Definitely no longer than 2 minutes. Honestly do raids even need higher than the 30 second regular timer though?
    dentenks, Caiburn, McJumps and 10 others like this.
  2. Appren Gnomercy

Truly a cry for help from someone running the raid tool!

I would totally support a change on this, it doesn't make content more challenging - just more tedious.
  3. Zrae Journeyman

Think it was to prevent pick hopping but...
  4. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

Why even relog? You can just gate and banner back, assuming your server has progressed to that point.

The 5 minute timer is pretty pointless, all the unnecessary zoning is just putting extra load on the servers for no reason, makes raids clunkier, and there are some seriously buggy interactions where trying to buff people with a raid timer just keeps adding additional time to your own raid timer bringing it from 5 minutes up to 7+ minutes. Not even sure what it's supposed to accomplish besides artificially slowing down raids.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  5. DeadRagarr Augur

OOC timers were before pick hopping though.

I think it was just to keep "Classic" eq feel of medding in "Hard" content or prevent exploits of gaining mana during raid content though some sort of ability to drop agro -> Enter OOC -> Regain full -> then hop back in.
  6. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

To stop people from fading and medding to full quickly. I think it’s pointless.
  7. Go Take A Nap Augur

I do hate combat prep in classic EQ, specially after a wipe. If you consider the short buff timers on top of the poor mana pools its a huge bummer to wipe. Many times we were a little short clerics for fear runs and had a full wipe that took 30-40 mins to fully recover and rebuff just to make another attempt. Im all for making the fights a bit harder and offering out of combat regen! Even if its a fragment of the regular version.

Depending on your gear you get to rez 2-4 people and then med for 6-8mins...
    Consider you have a full UI of players to rez and only 5 clerics. Thats 14-15 rezzes per cleric required. So after the 25-30 mins goes by where you've done nothing but rez you get to med for buffs! Buffs that only last 30-40mins! At this point players that started buffing early in hopes of being efficient are casting rebuffs again!

Poor Shaman get it the worst with their buffing requirements in early games. Slow regen + low timer buffs = all day job keeping the raid happy.
  8. Atomos Augur

Who all can do this?

I am not experienced in post-PoP EQ but my current server is on TSS and up to this point I feel that there is a very large amount of raid wide or huge range AOEs that is going to prevent anyone from relogging/fading/etc and staying out of combat for very long whatsoever. Regardless, for the most part I haven't seen running out of mana during a raid encounter be very common, so I'm not quite sure that it is even preventing anything lol. I am more concerned with having to constantly wait for out of combat regen before we can continue or watching people relog to get around it which just feels tacky IMO.

I've thought about this, but honestly Classic EQ ends pretty early in the timeline. Some might say Velious, others might say PoP, but the truth is that "Classic EQ" is a pretty brief period compared to the whole 24 year old game. After PoP the game begins to change dramatically and I just don't think the whole sitting around waiting 5 minutes for the raid out of combat regen to start really fits the game at that point. Aside from some very specific situations, sitting in 1 spot all the time or for long periods of time is rare and EQ is faster paced and way more mobile than pre-PoP.

At the very least the timer could only apply to raid bosses to prevent what some have mentioned about getting out of combat on raid bosses but I truthfully don't see that as something worth preventing in the first place, due to my first paragraph.
  9. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

Every class.

The 5 min timer is very annoying especailly when some noob grabs agro of trash on the way to raid and then causes everyone who is buffing to get a 5 min timer and they cant use Tranquil Blessing or fast med any more.
    Joules_Bianchi and ForumBoss like this.
  10. Brildon Augur

I gotta agree, 5 minutes is too long a lot of the time. Our raids hardly have that long of a break after a boss before starting to pull trash again. As a bard, you essentially get no time to regen mana or endurance since their regen is awful. Less dirge and bellows :(
  11. FranktheBank Augur

5min is way too long. Especially when a lot of it is applied by raid trash or zone wide aes.

Just make it 60 seconds. Who cares.
    Joules_Bianchi and ForumBoss like this.
  12. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

If they want it to prevent in-event cheesing of TBs (lol, who cares) or people medding full, fine, w.e. On Event Completion/Reset? GET RID OF IT, what an utterly pointless waste of time. I can't even math how many thousands of hours have been spent by just my Guilds over the years waiting to be able to med and rebuff. It's incredibly obnoxious
  13. Atomos Augur

The other day on Mischief we had a bug where we killed a raid boss and were instantly out of combat, no 30s or 5m timer.

And it felt so good to not have to sit there doing nothing for 5 minutes waiting for out of combat regen or relogging to cheat the system.

Not saying the timer should be instant like this bug, but the game would feel a lot better if it were much much lower.
  14. Kragin Augur

It's everquest, not easyquest.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  15. FranktheBank Augur

What does this have to do with anything?
    ForumBoss likes this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I am guessing code does not exist to instance-wide/raid-wide block entering OOC while an event is in session, but that would be the logical answer to it, so that once the event is ended, either by completion or reset then OOC is available more quickly, but even that is possible to cheese so timers are probably going to stay.

A reduction would be welcomed but I wouldn't expect much movement on it.
    Fanra likes this.
  17. Atomos Augur

Time wasting != difficulty...
  18. FranktheBank Augur

We dont need a 5 min timer. It serves no purpose except to increase boredom.If it's more than 30 seconds, we can just relog, or gate.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I agree, I just don't think the devs are going to move on it.
  20. Trevalon Augur

As a raid leader for at least 6 different raid guilds on TLP servers, I complain about this constantly. It is 100% pointless and nothing but an artificial inflation of raid time for absolutely 0 reason.

5 minutes is ludicrous. 30 secs is fine like non raid content maybe even 60 secs as Frank said, but anything more is dumb.

#ChangeraidOOCtimer2023

Someone get Lucerin to tell Ngreth!