Fixed Internally Mercenary died mysteriously

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by J'bone, Oct 14, 2022.

1. Spacemonkey555 Augur

I had not previously experienced this, but this weekend I am 3 for 3 so far on having my healer merc die when I zone to Shar Vahl Divided using the guild hall port. There's nothing in the log, no evidence except the countdown timer to revive her.

Cazic-Thule, dark elf female, 4:52 AM 1/15
    Paladin likes this.
  2. Malbro Augur

Category: Other
    Date/Time: Mon Jan 16 14:31:35 2023

Character: Level 120 Beastlord (Main)
    Zone: Shar Vahl, Divided

Description: Mercenary died on zoning into Shar Vahl-divided from the guildhall.
  3. Ratalthor Developer

Thanks everyone for the information so far. For the timestamps, please include what timezone you are playing in so we can track down the exact time in our logs.
    minimind and Fanra like this.
  4. Warpeace Augur

Germany (GMT+1)
  5. minimind The Village Idiot

Pacific time. Merc type: Female gnome tank.
  6. Malbro Augur

Also pacific, merc type female halfling healer.
  7. Malbro Augur

Category: Other [Can Repro]
    Date/Time: Fri Jan 27 12:29:56 2023

Description: Zoned for guildhall to Shar Vahl - Divided at 12:29pm PST and my mercenary died.
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

Date/Time: Sun Feb 12 btwn 9:05pm and 9:08pm pacific.

Character: Level 120 Berserker (Main)

Description: Another merc death taking the guild portal into Shar Vahl: Divided. 4 other people in zone. 120 Rogue "Ciemy" (gnome) DOA.
    Lubianx likes this.
  9. Warpeace Augur

You would think this would have progressed to "Confirmed" already. It's not hard to verify.
    Fenthen, Silvena and minimind like this.
  10. Gialana Augur

I've never had a mercenary in group die when zoning into Shar Vahl, Divided. I've also only zoned into Shar Vahl via Shadeweaver's or from exiting a mission. I haven't used the guild hall teleporter with a mercenary in group, so maybe that's the only time the game kills the mercenaries.
    minimind likes this.
  11. Malbro Augur

Not going to wade 10 or so pages to find the merc thread:

Date/Time: Tue Feb 14 12:01:12 2023

Description: Mercenary died upon entering Shar Vahl - divided from the guildhall.

This is still happening.
    Fenthen, minimind and Velisaris_MS like this.
  12. minimind The Village Idiot

Confirmed. I went back and forth between Shar Vahl and Shadeweaver's with multiple characters multiple times last night. There wasn't a single issue.

The problem seems to be only with the Guild Hall portal to Shar Vahl Divided. My current guess is that the merc is spawning just a little below geometry and being eliminated from existence.
    Gialana likes this.
  13. niente Developer

Interestingly, the mercenaries appear to be dying in the guild hall when you exit. We've added more diagnostics to try to help figure out why the mercenaries are dying.
    Svann2, Lubianx, minimind and 2 others like this.
  14. Conq Augur

Sounds like a feature to me. I approve.
    Conq
    Knifen likes this.
  15. minimind The Village Idiot

Well that's interesting. Can you see if they are actually dying? (We're not getting death messages).

If they're not "dying", in what other scenarios would a merc be "suspended", lose buffs, and receive a timer? Would running out of plat do that? If so, is there a broken check when porting from the GH?
  16. Paladin Augur

This happened to me last night 2/14/23, in the area of 6 PM to 7PM Pacific.

I used my anchor to port to the guild hall, so I could use the portal to Shar Vahl Divided.

It wasn't until I was in Shar Vahl that I noticed my Merc was mysteriously dead. so I had to wait on the timer so I could revive it, dismiss it and join the group I went to Shar Vahl to join.
  17. minimind The Village Idiot

Has anyone ported to Shar Vahl and had their mercs survive?

Do you know if they had any form of levitation on?
  18. Lubianx Augur

I have Lil on multiple occasions, but also have had the merc die too a couple of times. Most of the times it did have lev. I just blamed Rare when it happened
  19. minimind The Village Idiot

This Post suggested that porting from the original guild hall was safe. I decided to test it and have gone to Shar Vahl, Divided 5 times with three different characters & mercs. None of the ports resulted in merc death.

Other posts in that thread suggest a geometry issue being the cause (as many in this thread were leaning toward).

It's looking like we're zeroing in.
  20. LadyQuake Elder

I have only tried from GH to VS.
    Most the time the merc dies when zone to VS.
    OK in GH and dead when zoned into VS
    Alena and Trice74 like this.