Does anyone actually like CH chains? Could there be a better world without them?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Falafel, Feb 12, 2023.

1. Falafel Lorekeeper

I'd like to play a cleric on a new tlp, but really hate CH chains.

I talked in another thread about possible balance changes that could be done, another I would add is to remove CH, or at least remove the ability to chain them together (maybe a 15ish second debuff that prevents another from landing).

This should probably be paired with a buff to other healing spells, particularly the efficiency of them. Should probably buff other classes healing as well, since they'll be doing more tank healing in a world without CH chains.

Yes I know, play later expansions and you won't have to deal with this.
    Bewts likes this.
  2. MischiefTLP Augur

You can rebalance the Heals all you want there are two possible outcomes:
    1) A reasonable number of Priests can't keep the tank alive
    2) Those Priests will cast a spell at a set interval, a debuff just means fewer will be casting CHeal
  3. Falafel Lorekeeper

Priests just chaining another spell instead is a good point, not sure what i'd do to counter that.

I just feel like the experience healing is healthier when it's not dependant on chaining spells to keep tanks alive. Maybe mobs just hit harder than they maybe should?
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

TLP is about the original game. You want the original game changed? That seems strange...
    Duder likes this.
  5. Xhartor Augur

They are great if you are using automation for your clerics, not so great if you actually playing one. When it comes to playing a cleric, is best to wait until GoD or later when that crap goes away. The bots can deal with it velious-PoP/LDoN.
  6. Falafel Lorekeeper

Not sure if trolling, I assume you are, but TLPs have been changed drastically over time.
  7. Lejaun Augur

I don't think anyone claimed that TLP's have not changed from original EQ. It seemed pretty clear that they implied that this would simply be a change that further changed TLP's from what original EQ is like.
  8. Falafel Lorekeeper

Right, like all the other changes they've done. I'm not seeing your point.
  9. Lejaun Augur

It's not that complicated. I'll spell it out for you.

Original EQ: A, B, C, D and E happen in it. C stands for complete heal chains.
    Through the years: A, B, C remain in the game and on TLPs, D and E no longer happen and/or were changed.
    If C is changed, TLP's now have just A and B the same to original EQ.
    If C is not changed, TLPs have A and B and C. Therefore, it is closer to the original game than if they took it away.

Understand?
  10. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Nope, not a troll at all. TLPs have changed... this would be a drastic change.
    Duder likes this.
  11. FranktheBank Augur

Very few ppl enjoy CH chains. We would be better off without them. But it would have to be a drastic balance change and I dont think Daybreak would see value in it.
  12. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

You could just play EQ past the first 4 expansions or so, bam no more CH chains!
    Duder likes this.
  13. Silias McKendrick Augur

The only thing I could see replacing CH, is a delayed heal maybe with an x counter of cast on it.

Cleric cast it, tank hits x percentage it goes off say (30 percent), has say limit of 3 activation counters with a 1 or 2 second delay, and 20 seconds total to use all 3 counters, with a mana cost of 3x ch. Maybe add alot of aggro?

This does a few things, one, tank may still need spot/celestial healing if he will take more than 30 percent damage in the 1-2 seconds. (ie AoW, Emp, Rzek etc)

Mana cost is extremely high, thus clerics still have to conserve. (this could be a line of spells in addition to ch, increasing mana cost)

With alot of aggro, this just cannot be spammed by same cleirc.

This frees clerics up to be battle clerics, heal groups, etc.

(Clerics are pretty boring up until ch is not needed on boss fights, trash clearing is blah too if raid force is geared.)
  14. Bewts Augur

You can manage it various ways:
    1. Healer can cast a short term buff that tiggers a heal under certain conditions.
    2. Healer can maintain an aura at the cost of mana drain that provides a level of healing under certain conditions.
    3. Healer(s) can maintain large heal over time, again, at the cost of mana.
    4. Healers can maintain a buff that triggers a % heal based on damage that drains a % of mana each time it triggers.

Item 1 is similar to reactive heals from clerics in EQ2; where a 30 second buff is applied that has a limited amount of triggers before it must be reapplied.
    Item 2 borrows from the existing aura concept and the above reactive concept.
    Item 3 borrows from the existing heal over time concept, but is constant and is constrained by mana pool (and maybe some factor like sitting cancels it?).
    Item 4 plays off a combination of the above, and with the correct amount of clerics, could offset total max damage, again constrained by maximum mana, mana regen and any other criterion that would cancel maintenance of the heal.

In general, while all interesting “alternatives”, none of this offers the low QOL clerics endured in classical EQ eras where people today still have problems staying focused for a set period of time repeatedly “counting to three”.
  15. SoandsoForumUser Augur

I mean CH chains are terrible, but so is tanking and DPSing in those expansions, it blends right in.
    Genoane likes this.
  16. Stymie Pendragon

Without complete heal another type would just be used instead. :)

Appren, Psalmz and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  17. Psalmz Elder

Other heals are insufficient and their use would be less efficient, requiring more healers for the bosses.

"Our tank was not saved..." Even if this thread was a troll effort... Sinzan approved!
  18. MaestroM Augur

If you want complete heals to go away, the reasonable thing to do would be to look at what healers do in other games. On raids in other MMOs, healers do a lot more than heal tanks. They cure debuffs, they heal the group, they put shields on tanks and group members, they keep buffs up, they even deal damage a ton.

The problem with EQ is roles other than "heal the tank" are typically done by other healers and buffers/debuffers/curers. Additionally, since EQ (especially early EQ) has so few combat mechanics, raids are made difficult by having bosses do super high damage to tanks pretty quickly.

A solution would be to give clerics a short cast, high efficiency, high power heal on a long cooldown. This would give clerics some time to do something else like cure diseases or other debuffs. But that's not classic. It would also require rebalancing the rest of the game.

CHeal chains suck, but they're a structural part of the early game and they are the result of the intersection of a LOT of game mechanics that make it one of the most (if not the only) viable main tank healing strategies.

Sucks but it is what it is and can't really be changed without redoing a LOT of other things in the game.
  19. Brildon Augur

Honestly CH rotations are only relevant for such a small part of the game. I don't mind them, but healing does get a lot more enjoyable in GoD onward when everyone starts generally moving away from CH rots, but I don't see a need to revamp early healing.
  20. jeskola pheerie

Next TLP rule twist: no heal spells. Bandage rotation