Pairing Classic/Kunark and PoP/LoY/LDoN

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Crackers, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Crackers Elder

I'm curious how people feel about this specific idea. I don't really want to expand the scope of the conversation, though I'm sure that'll occur naturally.

Pairing these expansions feels natural at this stage and feels popular. I could be wrong. Let's discuss.

As a whole, both situations tend to be too long of a time period if the expansions are split. Classic and Kunark as they traditionally start last for 6 months total. PoP/LoY and LDoN being separate is 20 weeks total. In both instances, the players I know and talk to indicate that's a big reason for getting bored and leaving the TLPs. It's just too much time spent in content that doesn't feel progressive.

In both situations, the gear in the latter expansion does not offer a significant or even meaningful advantage. Most players only pick up a handful of items in Kunark, and epics have the largest impact overall. For PoP and LDoN, augments have a limited impact, and the top level gear from LDoN is no stronger than what you could get in the elemental planes. PoP can easily be defeated in under a week of release, with a sub level 65 raid average.

Pairing these expansions together has multiple benefits...

1. It gives us as players an expanded zone base for leveling. Especially with LDoN zones, many of us really don't bother beyond getting our necessary spells from the camps. Many of us only experience lower level areas of Kunark if we're leveling an Iksar, or powerleveling an alt in Kurn's Tower.

2. It reduces the amount of time we spend twiddling our thumbs because this time drags on too long for many.

3. It's a new dymanic for the TLPs for us to experience. We can level a different path, prioritize different objectives, and keep things a bit more fresh.

I'm sure there are more. What does everyone else think on pairing these specific expansions?
  2. MaestroM Augur

I'd be down.
  3. Xhartor Augur

I personally think that addressing the 70 stretch from OoW-PoR being too long is a larger priority. These are solid suggestions. Over the years there have been tons of suggestion to help improve the problems with LDoN.
    Zrender likes this.
  4. Crackers Elder

I don't disagree with you, and this conversation is part of a larger conversation that could be had. DoN for example should be paired with OOW. Simply put raid content in DoN can easily be done in 1 night once you've finished progression, which is a matter of hours. DoDh raids are 1 - 2 nights max as well, so it's a natural fit. Again, limited gear is improved upon with DoN.

PoR could be paired with DoDh, or PoR could just be deleted from the system all together.

The conversation has to start somewhere and effectively demonstrate how it will help more than hurt, or won't hurt at all for example.
  5. Trevalon Augur

Im ok with a Kunark start at this point.

PoP should be:

PoP+Loy --> 1 Month later LDON - 3 months total for this timeframe.

The current iteration of PoP is WAYYY to long
  6. Captain Video Augur

I would encourage you to search the forum and read the 37 other threads on this topic.
  7. Crackers Elder

Thanks for your input. Have a great day.
  8. Zealot1340 Lorekeeper

Some of us enjoy playing the content. That includes LDoN, DoN, PoR, and the rest of it. Stop shortening and/or combining them.
  9. Xhartor Augur

The discussion around shortening it, is because on most TLP attrition from players getting tired of content is a larger issue, then people complaining that the expansions going too quickly.

In the case of DoN, it has 4 raids that are completed in an hour by most guilds. The smaller progression raid events don't offer anything beyond progression credit, so you only rerun them to help people who missed them. There are no AA's, the rare mobs drop nearly nothing of value to most TLP players, the faction from the group missions is completed in a couple of days and the currency merchant also have little to nothing of value for most TLP players.
  10. Zrae Journeyman

I am all for adding ldon to pop or even make it unlock sooner. Having it be so far out is blah.
    Zrender likes this.
  11. MaestroM Augur

I hesitate to shorten the "PoP" era but I do think unlocking LDoN earlier wouldn't be bad. 300 LDoN missions is tough to do quickly.
  12. Crackers Elder

This is my personal experience. Having been both a player and guild leadership on multiple TLPs, my experience is that TLP attrition is largest at the time that content drags on. So 6 weeks into Kunark for example. The content Kunark offers isn't enough for most at this point. It's levels, and a tougher version of the dragons we already killed in classic. No one clears VP each week, it's pointless as most of the loot rots as it's largely weapons that aren't as good as the epics. Most forget, epics were not part of the original Kunark launch, so when they came out, it made much of the VP loot because obsolete.

Same situation for LDoN. The instances are good for exp, and working on the augment which takes 300 missions to complete. However many players get most of their necessary AA during PoP. So when LDoN comes out, with no new AA, there just isn't enough to keep most players busy.

DoN gear is honestly nothing special either outside of Yar`Lir and Vishimtar. Even still, that's an item or two on average per class. I'd rather start killing these dragons with OOW myself given it's an hour or two.

I realize it's not true for all, but I would guess for many it is. Attrition is the key reason in my opinion to do this.
    MaestroM likes this.
  13. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Classic = 4 weeks
    Kunark = 4 weeks
    Velious = 4 weeks
    Luclin = 8 weeks (to catch up)
    Pop/LoY = 4 weeks
    Ldon = 4 weeks
    GoD = 4 weeks
    OOW = 8 weeks (to catch up)
    DoN = 4 weeks
    DoD = 4 weeks
    TSS = 8 weeks (to catch up)
    TBS = 4 weeks
    SoF = 4 weeks
    SoD = 8 weeks (to catch up) (Half-Way mark for expansions)

We slow it down now.

...8 weeks
    ...8 weeks
    ...8 weeks

No keys or flags will be required for previous expansions.
    Alt-aholics will be left behind.
    Mains shall thrive.
  14. Crackers Elder

So Selo's server 2.0?

You would have to triple the loot hauls, and have at least double exp rate full time. Not sure a healthy player base could keep up with that kind of a pace.
  15. Zrender Augur

Agreed. Ldon was a slog. Actually, all slog type content should be just lumped into other unlocks. I also think keying should also be account wide per server and I'd be fully down for all loot being heirloom.