door mission: stunned even when looking away

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Svann2, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

In door mission Ive been 2 boxing mage-bard. Bard on autofollow. Doing my best to always look away. Today Im 100% certain we both were looking 180 degrees away from the rooster-basilisk. Bard got stunned, mage not. I know it cant be because I was in 3rd person with camera facing backwards because I was on the mage not the bard. If it was the camera facing then it would have been the mage getting the stun.

The top layer of your skin turns to stone.
    Whats going on here? Should it be reported as buggy? Is that happening to anyone else?
    Elyssanda likes this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think the mission is just buggy. Last night, we were running it and just burning it down. The aura popped while it was in chicken form, not underbulk.

A few nights ago, we were doing it for the achievement. When the aura hit, we all moved away. I was just backing up on one of my toons, so I could still see the aura on the ground, and as soon as we stopped at the new spot, another aura hit while the other was still active.

I think there's also a stun portion to some other effect, so maybe that was it. I know my SK will occassionally get stunned for a second or two while it's in other forms.
  3. Knifen Augur

I have done this mission with both my toons on top of each other and had 1 get stunned and 1 not. It doesn't seem like it actually works like it was supposed to, as the raid doesnt work at all. The mission just seems to randomly stun regardless if you look away or at it. Thou it may also be that we are burning it so fast in the mission that different emote/triggers all go off at the wrong time.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

I thought of that but this time I had gina running and it triggered at that moment based on the stun emote so I know for sure that it was the looking at chicken stun, and since the camera was pointing directly at my 2 guys and the basilisk behind us I know for sure both characters had their backs to it.
  5. Alnitak Augur

Stone Coat spell (10 sec stun with that emote) is a single-target, range 1000 unresistable spell, and there is no specific data pointing that it can not be cast on a character turned away from the mob.
    I know, the consensus is that it will not cast on you if you are looking away, but it is not in the spell data. Perhaps it is a mechanism of the NPC to select the target, not the spell itself. And who says that it will not cast at all if every character (like in your case) is looking away. Maybe it will cast it on a random target then? At this moment I got no evidence either way - in my group there is always somebody looking at it.
    Second observation - Thrashing Appendages spell (from the terror form) is also unresistable and has 2 second stun component. So it could be misidentified.
    Third observation - good old stun from a big hit. When a mob hits for a sizable portion of HP a character can be stunned on occasion just for being hit. It's a mechanism, not a spell, so it could be misidentified.
    Fourth observation - when I run that mission it is unusually laggy, and my Gina / Screen messages sometimes delayed much. Could be a contributing factor to misidentification.

Overall - annoying mechanics, but I just expect the stuns and ignore them when they happen. My pet and healer merc carry the group through it.
    Tatanka and Knifen like this.
  6. Soulbanshee Augur

Because it's not handled in spell data, they have to script spells like that based off checks.

The dev said, because the mission is a tuned down clone of the raid.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...iew-shadow-haven-when-one-door-closes.286221/
    Cockatrice
    • Flurry boost by 10%
    • Casts Stone Crust on everyone that is looking at it - long stun
    Svann2 likes this.