The problem with low exp per kill of mobs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ozlaar, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Dre. Altoholic

I seem to recall RoF being when partisan/merc quests became the way to level from 95-100. I believe there was a code change specifically about mobs, or light blues under level 100 being nerfed, something like that. It was that, or 85/90/95 Teek dailies or living in Valley of Luanyn for what felt like years for the casuals.

Then HA's came along and changed it all. I remember we'd TA and park our alts with LotD in Lobby then campfire into dat chest exp.

And sometime later I literally dinged a Bard three times (103-106?) on completion of a Great Divide mission.

I remember the lament of the Monster Mission days, but I'm really not sure just where leveling up went from:

/shout LFG Orc 1

to:
    Tracking 20 lists of collectibles
    Keeping up with Overseer
    Running your dailies
    Tracking progress on achievements of five zones
    Knowing which NPC's to hail before you kill in an area
    Keeping up with your friends in their progression

Imagine a game where someone logs on and says "Hey friends, what's everyone up to?" and they get five invites, click a button to join the group and get pulled into an instance of their friends, where they kill monsters and get exp and loot. (without being an under-leveled Bard or Cleric)
  2. Tappin Augur

Isn't it obvious? Just check out the difference in demeanor between developing content for EQ2 and EQ1. They show no enthusiasm towards developing content for EQ... It's like no one wants to be on the project.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It couldn't be the fact that the tools to develop for the systems are different and improved from the making of EQ1 to EQ2?
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. FranktheBank Augur

Please answer the question you have been asked twice. How many hours should leveling 115-120 take, in your opinion?
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

Its really not even that many levels. You should be sitting on 99% reg exp for ever and a day before the expansion even is released. Soon as you kill that first mob DING you are 116. Ok now you got all the tasks you have banked up. Go do your hails and collect that exp. Next comes the fun part. Doing all your collects from the pieces you saved from overseer if you have not done them already. People will this exp because of the requirements on the evolving cloak. Collects are a great way to bank exp though.

Now go do your merc tasks and partisan tasks. Get into some Hunters raids. Lotsa ways to speed this along. Sad thing is you will be max exp and max AA before you know it and then you will be on here whining there is nothing to do .

I cant give you hours but I know I am usually max level if not AA by the end of my Christmas break from work. Im casual and box and a lot and group with just one other usually.
    code-zero and Yinla like this.
  6. Fian Augur

This question really depends on how efficient your group is. I would say that 200 kills to gain a level is about right, which is about 10x faster than current, I believe.
  7. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Your post just assumes everyone that is playing EQ in the future is already playing it now, and maxed out with full preparation.
    Stymie likes this.
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Anyone playing in the future that's not playing now will have 29+ full expansions of content available from day 1 (if they sub and buy the latest expansion, 3 fewer if not). Someone rolling a character today or even in a month from now will have considerably more content in which to gain XP than only the last released expansion. Even if that hypothetical player were to get a level 100 Heroic, they would still have several expansions with content at or around their level range even if they didn't use any of the content in the last 2 expansions.

Absolutely nothing in the game requires anyone to only gain XP in the last released expansion.
    code-zero and Yinla like this.
  9. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

So, you’re saying those people are going to have zones in their level range full of activity and grouping potential to tackle the content scaled for groups?
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Did you order the code Red? DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED! :) sorry had to be said.

So did you want ice in that Code Red?
  11. FranktheBank Augur

It takes about 3200 kills + the 4 missions to go 115-120. So what you're asking for is for anything close to a solid group to lvl 115-120 in about 8ish hours.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  12. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

9 seconds per mob for 8 hours is a legit power group.

I think it should be like 300-400 T2 mobs in the leveling expansion per level as a target. Rewards the top end groups and then do some Dragonscale Hills/Hot Zone type repeatables available to supplement not being in great groups.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I've been screaming there's nothing wrong with XP for years. People are going to find fault with anything/everything if they find an avenue to vent it.
    FranktheBank and Rijacki like this.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Double the kill time - it's still only 14 hours (figuring two hours for missions).
  15. FranktheBank Augur

You math is either bad or you are conflating two statements. The quoted amount said 200 kills per level. Missions give about 1.5 levels. Lets say 2 hours to run all 4, which is incredibly slow, but sure. That means 700 kills, then 2 hours of missions.

700 kills in 6 hours is about 2 kills per minute. Which is slower than a stacked raid group, but faster than some random group probably.

I think 30-40 hours of killing is a perfectly fine rate for a 2 year level cap.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  16. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Your post had missions plus 3200 kills for levels 115-120 for 8 hours (480 minutes or 28800 seconds). Also, you’re bouncing around between 200 and 700 in this post.

17. Dwimmerlaike Elder

All accurate. My longest break came when they went to the con style AA system in 2007. I was a 62 in a casual guild playing a tank. A non raid geared 71, with 0 69 or 70 spells would show up and boom! Exp ended. It told me then Rashere wanted me to play with myself so I left for years. Totally ignored population.
    Dre. likes this.
  18. Dwimmerlaike Elder

THIS.
  19. Dwimmerlaike Elder

I know when the cap goes up and they add new AA, my SK isn't complete until I get the ones for my uber pet finished. I also crave the challenge of my necro getting the 100s of focus AAs for spells I don't use. It helps me feel complete.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  20. demi Augur

" you want the truth, YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH" lol I had to respond
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.