Aqua Regia - Pricing

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Ryhme, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Ryhme Lorekeeper

Aqua Regia costs around 152pp at Scholar Klaz in POK.
    It sells at around 6.9pp at the same vendor.
    I cannot imagine this is intended.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Many of the research components are that way with a wide difference between what you have to pay them and what they will pay you.

Just like defiant can cost couple thousand plat to buy it off them but they will only offer you 7 plat for it.

Its the EQ economy.

I don't see this as a bug but devs may decide to change it after all these years.
    Yinla and minimind like this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Its because you can make it for less than the vendor sells it for. Devs dont want you making a profit by doing combines then selling to vendor.
    Yinla, Nennius, Rijacki and 4 others like this.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

This right here. They added these options as a "shortcut" to raise your skill up without farming specific materials. You can pick to spend plat and get your skill up faster, or go farm and it will cost around 8-10 plat to make each one. I chose to spend the plat, because generic plat farming is 1000 times more efficient than farming specific materials just to skill up. I see nothing wrong with paying for convenience, even if it seems outrageous. It's not much different than choosing to farm materials or paying jacked up bazaar prices for them.
    Rijacki and Poppinfresh like this.
  5. Ryhme Lorekeeper

This is completely out of any reason. There is always a difference which makes a loss. But hell, take a calculator if you don't realize that but that is more than factor 20.. TWENTY....
    Time sinks in this game are one thing but that is not even close to any gaming reason...
    Out of Whack!

I am used to have a slight loss but not in that extreme!
    Rijacki likes this.
  6. fortuneteller Augur

not a bug
    Fenthen and CatsPaws like this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

So I sold a merchant NPC a dropped Elegant Adept's Cloak and he gave me 9 plat. But if I want to buy same item from him then he wants 1582.55 plat. Now that's a markup.
    Fenthen, Rijacki and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

You can make one for under 8p. Why should a vendor pay more?
    edit: oh wait, I get it. You thought you found a moneymaker. Nope.
    Yinla and Nennius like this.
  9. Ryhme Lorekeeper

I want to hear that from a dev!

Tradeskill items were always - if in heavy use - not so extreme out of whack. Who cares about Elegant Gear.. nobody uses it - but at least tradeskill items should be in a reasonable pricing category.

Some parts of the game are always made pretty useless to waste time, space and cpu power. But the goal is creating time sinks we have to pay for. At least I want to have fun when doing that and don't get any wrist restrain or a twisted brain or a kind or rip off.

They are too expensive and should at least not be a factor 20 apart and be in row with other tradeskill items sold with a reasonable differrence.
  10. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I also wish to hear from a dev when he puts "Not a bug" in red on this whole post:)
  11. Alnitak Augur

Curiously, that buy/sell price difference actually enables some decent moneymakers down the combine stream. If one studies pricing structure of combine componets offered by merchants they can conclude that exactly the huge markup on subcombine components enables some of the best moneymakers in the game. Some are at the level of a million pp per hour of "combine-all" snooze.
    Although those moneymakers are few and far between and are not freely disclosed by those who discovered them.
  12. LesserArchi Elder

I figure there could be some loophole in the combine system to make lots of PP.
    There are some easy finds on JC trade skill but can't be abused due to supply drops are uncommon.
    And also, it sells lot more to player, HA!!!:)
    I may have to make a junk toon to do some investigation and get banned doing it, LOL. JK.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

They have caught people doing just that and have gone so far as to take servers down for a hotfix to prevent it.
  14. Alnitak Augur

I am still on a fence how to label those recipies. Were those some kind of "Easter egg" done with intention or were those "oversights needing fixes"? Due to price ladders of related items are quite extensive and cross-related and would be hard to "fix" without disbalancing costs of many other combines. Currently I am inclined to think those were actually intended by design.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The speed with which those were hot fixed would lead one to believe it was a mistake. Like the Loyalty Vendor hot fix.

Tradeskills are a time and/or time + plat investment. Players choice. Its the way the game is made. We choose if we want to spend time to accomplish something or plat to shorten that time.

There is no way in the game you can make a large profit by selling any thing to an NPC. Only other players.

And I am sinking way to much time into this post waiting for the Dev to mark it "not a bug" as someone said above.:D
    Svann2 likes this.
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

If you're maxing out tradeskills, especially JC, you'll eventually discover them. The thing is, they seem to make no sense...just a random recipe (or group of recipes) that mysteriously sells to a merchant for WAY more than it cost to make. Which leads me to believe that they're mistakes and only fixed when brought to the devs' attention.
  17. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

True, but also, you have to take into account the failure rate. I haven't seen one "way more" than the cost to make in quite some time. Generally, you'll see something like the final product being worth more than the sum of the vendor parts by 10-20%. But if you calculate in a single failure, the chances of really "making money" off the combines dwindles out.

It's more when it is a low trivial item that can be mass-stocked and sold back for profit that they'll take action. JC is the easy one to pick on because the resale values are normally pretty high to offset buying gems and metals from the vendor. Some of the "exploitable" ones are still out there, but only on TLP's and only during a specific window.

There aren't any egregious ones floating about (that are "public" or widely known) or the hammer would come down.. and likely, they wouldn't even post it in the notes. it would just be a ban and an item value change.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

They tend to get attention when people exploit them to make money.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

Perhaps "way more than expected" is a better phrase. I just remember doing the 301-350 stretch on JC and being surprised that there were these batches of recipes that sold to a merchant for a decent profit, when other similar recipes around them, trivial-wise and sometimes in the same expansion, would sell for next to nothing...if anything at all.