The problem with low exp per kill of mobs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ozlaar, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Wrong all the way around.

I don't like the progression quest path better. I'm neutral on it. I haven't done one single group quest from TBL on. I might be able to do some of them, but just haven't gotten around to it. Fortunately, it's not urgent, because I'm already max level, thanks to Overseer.

Next, they HAVEN'T reduced the grind path XP. The levels are harder to fill. AGAIN, those are different things. When I get XP, I see my AA bar filling up at a quite decent pace.

I just can't wrap my head around why some of you are so blinded that you can't see the grind never ends. It's just focused on AAs, and not leveling. Since we all get to the same place eventually, WHY do you care so much?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I don't care if it is a poor design. It takes two minutes, I can handle it, it's worth the time spent.

When using Overseer to level, I get ~10% a day, and it takes me..... wait for it..... 2 minutes. I don't think they'll ever crank up kill XP to get you 10% of a level in 2 minutes. So, if they changed it to how you want it to be, I'd once again take MUCH longer to level, and would keep falling further behind on AAs. No thanks, I'd rather keep it the way it is.
  3. Dre. Altoholic

The core problem here is the death of the LFG/PUG game, especially if you aren't raid geared, boxing 3-6 accounts, or one of about four classes. How long have players been asking for cross-server instancing, dungeon finder, etc. It's amazing that the utter neglect shown to such a huge portion of the playerbase hasn't been more costly to the bottom line.

A big part of that is the linear and non-sharable style of progression.
    Stymie and Ileasa like this.
  4. Bernel Augur

I agree that they are different, but I'm not sure that difference matters all that much to the player who is trying to level through grinding. If before it took 100 even-con mobs to level and now it takes 200, then the time to level is going to be 2x as long. Whether that's from a reduction in the mob XP formula or an increase in the player XP formula is not all that important. And factor in that the mob difficulty goes up at a faster rate, the fights now take more time and are more challenging. This also adds time to the leveling process. Not only does the player have to kill relatively more mobs than before, each kill itself takes longer than before and requires more time to recover afterwards. All those factors combine to make the leveling process through grinding get slower and slower. That's where I'm not seeing the benefit to the game or the players. I don't necessarily care why the adventuring XP is slower and harder. What matters is that, for me, it degrades my playing experience and I have less interest in playing. Perhaps there are benefits to the game that I'm not seeing, but I don't hear anyone saying that they enjoy that the leveling through adventuring slows down to a molasses pace. I hear people saying that they can still level that way (with their 6-box, raid-geared group) or do progression, but I don't hear people saying "Yippee! I love that it takes so much longer to grind out a level at 120 than it did at 110!"
    Stymie, Ileasa and Dre. like this.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

Definitely not the case.

Ps. Your argument style is showing some signs of frustration. Might want to consider a break from the forums.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Incorrect. Grinders would be satisfed with decent grinding exp. And lets not forget that grinding was the way it was done for the majority of EQs existence and probably part of why they enjoyed the game.
    Stymie and Ileasa like this.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

FOLKS JUST STOP ATTRIBUTING NEGATIVE# CRAP TO THOSE WHO JUST DONT SHARE YOUR OPINION PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
    Kaenneth and Ileasa like this.
  8. Shakara Augur

This is all you needed to say. I now know you don't care about having a good product and will bother you no further.
    Tatanka likes this.
  9. FranktheBank Augur

Read what you quoted, what is the specific time frame ?
  10. Tappin Augur

At this point, I think they want this game to tank...
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

EQ has been shown to be some of the biggest revenue for the company so not sure why you would think that.
  12. Tappin Augur

They are slowly but surely killing off the game for their core audience. They have lost a lot of people since the launch of NoS.
  13. Lubianx Augur

I don't know where you come up with this stuff.

I have seen more come back in the last couple of months than leave.
    Celephane likes this.
  14. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

If you like grinding more than questing, missions, and overseer; less XP per kill means you get to have the fun of grinding for longer.

Sounds like a win to me.

If you don't like your favorite way to play... maybe take a break? read some books, watch some movies, then come back when the burnout has eased.
  15. Tappin Augur

It's not about the progression - it's about Overseers. Groups were always hard to get for exp, but now the are virtually extinct. Overseers incentivizes people not to play. Log on, check for task adds from those blue guides players, complete Overseers, and then log off.

What choices are left? Molo for non existent exp, or join box group club. Believe it or not, people actually want to play a game they pay for.
  16. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Can you guarantee groups for every player that needs the progression? Otherwise, you’re just going to make that leveling experience too frustrating for people and they quit. Next expansion is about to bump the cap to 125, most likely.

Game just needs more way to get some solo/molo progress outside of group based progression.
    Stymie and Dre. like this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That doesn't answer my question of why they would kill off their money maker.
  18. sieger Augur

Compare like to like then. Current era grinding is faster than grinding was up through like, VoA.

In RoF / CotF leveling got easier, although as many people conveniently forget the "meta" for leveling, especially for casuals, in CotF+ was HAs, which people would run repeatedly. Which also "was not grinding" the way Norrathian God intended so to speak. Starting in the 105 era it became possible to level very very fast by grinding in an XP zone. As I point out anytime this discussion comes up, that was not the "forever norm" in EQ. Up through VoA or so grinding was pretty slow, with variance--when Kunark first launched it took even hardcore players weeks of mindless grinding to hit 60. They had made leveling a little easier by the time PoP raised the cap to 65, and a little easier still when the cap raised to 70. The grind got a little slower in SoF, and got a good bit slower in UF and VoA, before becoming easier in RoF / CotF--although again, the grinding paradigm was "upset" in the CotF+ era with HAs, which became the norm for like 5-6 years.

There is no "perpetual norm dating back to 1999" for leveling speed, it has always varied and trended to be more grindy, many eras much grindier than modern. Representing the EoK through TBL era as "all of EQ's history" for grind speed is simply inaccurate.
    code-zero likes this.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm not talking about methods of gaining xp...I'm talking about the levels themselves. From 1-110, there was clearly some sort of formula they used to determine how much xp is needed to get through a level...how "big" the level is.

With ToV (111+), out of the blue, they decided to increase the "size" of the level to an incredible amount, effectively making every level a "hell level". But these hell levels are on steroids. They eventually removed the old hell levels for good reason...they sucked and served no purpose. Then, on a whim I guess, decided to bring them back in force. Why?

To this day, they have never once explained WHY they did this. To this day, they have never explained why they took a method of leveling that had worked for 2 decades and flushed it down the toilet.
    Stymie likes this.
  20. Alnitak Augur

Oh, it's simple - because you are making this stuff up.
    During GMM era blue-white con orcs gave about 0.05% of level experience per kill, with yellow-con orcs gave around 0.06%.
    ToV blue-con trash gave around 0.04-0.045% per level, and white-yellow mobs gave around 0.05-0.055% per kill.
    ToL blue-white con trash gives 0.035-0.04% of the level per kill, and white-yellow pays with 0.04-0.045% per kill. Similar numbers are for NoS mobs.

Going from 0.06% down to 0.035% for killing trash in a span of 10 levels and 3+ years is hardly "incredible amount" and is not "out of the blue".

What was changed - 7 million HP orcs turned into 75+ million HP trash in NoS. Though, at the same time group dps went up as well. From mere 400K dps to well past 1.5+ mil dps for an average grinding group.
    So, it is somewhat slower than before, but by not a dramatic break-down. It was all gradual and took long time. Basic premise - higher levels are harder to earn than levels before. It is commonly understood and is not disputed.
    But crying that is was a dive from a cliff, unexpected and dramatic - is simply false.
    code-zero and Lubianx like this.