The problem with low exp per kill of mobs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ozlaar, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Celephane Augur

You are attempting to speak for all servers, so this just isn't true. Several of us have large populations doing things all the time.
    Dwimmerlaike likes this.
  2. Dwimmerlaike Elder

After how many consolidations?
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Who cares?
  4. Bernel Augur

One thing that the developers should think about is that this change has caused a lot of displeasure in some of their customers and there's no clear understanding as to why this change was important or needed. It's one thing if the customers understood that the reduction of grind-based exp was ultimately better in the long run for the health of the company or the enjoyment of the players, but clearly, some customers don't see it that way. Sure, it can be argued that customers can progress with the quests, but just saying they have that avenue doesn't mean the customers will be happy with that answer.

For example, I think most people can understand that the cash shop is important for the financial viability of EQ. We may not like that a cash shop was added, but we can see the benefit and we reap the rewards through a healthier game. The same is not true for the reduction in grind-based exp. It's not clear to me why that was beneficial to the players or the game. The one benefit I could maybe see is that it encourages more grouping for the exp quests, but that seems like just a small and marginal benefit since actual grouping doesn't happen too often. I get the sense that lots of players are doing the quests solo--either with their raid-geared solo toons or their boxed group--so I'm not sure how much actual grouping between players is going on. Or players are just getting TA'ed through them, which isn't really grouping either. Unless players understand why this change was made and generally agree with the purpose, it's going to lead to displeasure. And customer displeasure typically leads to fewer customers. I'm not really seeing the upside to EQ of drastically reducing the viability of the grind-based exp model.
    Dre. likes this.
  5. Laronk Augur

WTB cross server instancing, and dungeon finder. Disable trading in instance and make the focus currency rewards and experience.

Heck dungeon finder itself where you can queue up from anywhere on the server would be good enough. Lots of more modern players want to press 1 button and find a group.
    Stymie, Dre. and FranktheBank like this.
  6. Witte New Member

All this does is encourage people to use automation via 3rd party software or spend money on kronos to PL. Maybe that's what they want lol
    Laronk likes this.
  7. Name2 Augur

How does XP required to level scale per level? How does mob XP rewarded per kill scale per mob level? Are these functions linear or exponential? Is there any correlation between the two functions? Is it possible that whatever formula they use across the entire 1-120 game just doesn't scale well at the highest levels, and it isn't some nefarious plot or intentional decision to reduce per kill XP?
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

In my opinion its a valid hypothesis. Can't be stated as a fact because we don't know. And if it was a factor I doubt it was the only one but that's my opinion.
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

There are already kill-centric "mercenary" quests and the vocal posters who want more XP per kill already declare those as not acceptable. Hot Zone quests for higher levels would be the same. If they have to take 1 minute to talk to an NPC to get a quest to kill 10 rats, the same 10 rats they would want to kill by grinding, it's not acceptable to them.

And, yes, to echo someone else, Overseer is for more than just XP, i.e. tradeskill components and collectibles, but those are also things most in the "kill XP needs to be higher" crowd discount because they think development time for -anything- they don't want to do is wasted so any development on tradeskills or collections is wasted as much as Overseer is.
  10. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

There certainly a problem with PLing. The PL pros are now hogging camps in NOS, not cool. But anyway, why do people buy PL's? Play your toon, it's more fun.

Last Thursday I created a new mage for my box team. (4 mage team) I'll hit 115 with it this weekend. I still have a lot of progression to do. So there's still an XP bonanza to be had.

For me, it's actually enjoyable to level this new toon. Paying someone to do it for me is unthinkable and out of the question.

To the thread topic in the OP.

XP isn't bad if you use the tools available to you. If you want to grind, find mobs you can kill at a reasonable pace and go kill them,
  11. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Have you ever looked at the rewards from an individual mercenary task? They don’t reward experience. There’s no benefit to repeating them. It’s beyond confusing, why they continue that design choice.

You run your own PL group, that’s why you don’t see the point of paying for it. You’re already paying like 30-45/month for the other accounts.
    Stymie likes this.
  12. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

Did the same thing with my 2nd and 3rd mage. I enjoy playing, not paying for a PL. And just for your information, all my accounts are gold, not FTP for me.
  13. Alnitak Augur

Nothing satisfies those people. They claim they like grinding, and when they are offered even more grinding than before - they complain.
    They claim they prefer grinding groups and when they face the reality that most of other players do not, and grouping becomes hard to find - they complain about other players making bad choices.
    Nothing satisfies them, they only want to accept their own choices and insist on others also following their wishes, and when it does not work - they blame developers for not forcing those renegades into compliance.

Realistically speaking - nobody (except blatantly entitled few) assumes that it should be as easy to level up from 119 to 120 as it is to level up from 9 to 10. And if it so, then inevidably there will be a level in game at which leveling up will be harder than anything before. And past 111 it was the treshold EQ reached that developers introduced an alternative way of leveling - through achievements by questing. Then they've added another aid - Overseer.
    But some refuse to accept the reality - the latest levels are the hardest to increase via grinding. Well, they can enjoy the grinding in their solitude. Evidently, majority of EQ players have adapted to new ways of leveling. But there is still enough instant-gratification customers willing to pay for PL, which bred an army of PL'ers. If there is a demand there will be a supply. Good for everybody, it's a lively economy in EQ these days.
    Rijacki, Tatanka and code-zero like this.
  14. Shakara Augur

Fair. However its still a terrible way to do any of those things as well. Why not just do log in rewards? What does overseer bring to the table that log in rewards do not?
  15. Maedhros High King

Sometimes I really wonder how much time people think about a subject before they post absolute nonsense like this.
  16. Shakara Augur

None of this matters if you cant group with other players. There are zero options for new or returning players to play with the server in a reasonable amount of time without being carried by someone else. That path to near max level needs to be much more accessible. Asking a player to play EQ solo for longer than a week before being able to group is ridiculously unreasonable.
    Stymie likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And overseer is not preventing that.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Overseer takes less than 2 minutes to do. It IS a log in reward.
    Rijacki likes this.
  19. FranktheBank Augur

Also, overseer is used for things beyond xp.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Rijacki like this.
  20. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Do you think a character is required to be max level in order to be able to group?

Twice a week, on FV, I group with friends in the times they are able to group when I am also able to group due to time zones and work and other real life stuff. The group on Friday nights is never max level. Right now we decided to play new evils as a bit of a lark. The Sunday group (which includes individual is Europe and North America spanning 3 different countries :)) has a few at max level and one, at this time who isn't. Nothing stops us from grouping, nothing stops us from having fun together. There was no "asking a player to solo for longer than week before being able to group". Some of us do solo as we choose, often on other character. Some even group with others at other times.

There is a lot of content in the game. You are not required to only play in the last expansion. If you find it hard to level in that expansion's zones, you have the zones of 28 other expansions. If you can't find a group in the current expansion but there are others in a lower expansion whom you don't group with, that is your own choice, you are choosing not to group unless they only benefit you fully.