The Jester

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dwimmerlaike, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Dwimmerlaike Elder

The Chaotic Jester has had a great run with his residency in the Guild lobby passing out food, shrinking and enlarging us, telling his jokes, etc. Now after almost 20 years, can we please retire him so he can enjoy retirement and we can fondly remember his jokes and his pranks?

In other words: This thing is just stupid, and annoying. There is no reason for it to even be in the game now. Can you please disable it?

Thank you.
    Pelrond and Nennius like this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This used to be a much bigger problem than it is now. A while back, I petitioned with 4 pages of constant Jester spam lasting for over two hours in the lobby. I reported it as spam and that it interrupted game play.

At that time he never shut up because......he is a spell and spells don't wear off in the lobby. So once he was up, then he was spamming until the player left the lobby.

The result of that petition is what we have now. The Jesters shut off after 15 (30?) minutes in the lobby. Thank goodness. I can live with that. And I heartily thanked the dev who fixed that.

What was really funny is that other players did not notice until after they fixed him and then said they had no idea what I was talking about since the Jester turned off. Yeah, they didn't bother checking before the fix.

Good luck but many players do still use him for whatever reason.
  3. Dwimmerlaike Elder

On Luclin we use it to troll people in the Guild Lobby. The obvious change that I can do is simply to buff myself since I have all buffs and to hell with mgbing the server. If that's what they want, I will oblige.
  4. MustardonWatermelon Elder

I'll add to this that the book of bad poetry also needs to go.

It also spams the say window, and unlike a jester, it has a 1 minute cooldown.

There's enough problems with the say window as it is, (lots of mob agro messages use say for one example) players will use say for the intended purpose, gm's use say for afk checks, and to make it worse we have nonsense like the book of bad poetry and jesters that spam to say that you cannot block.

So in order to be functional among other players, and also be able to have a chance at noticing a GM performing an afk check, a person has to maintain yet another chat window all on it's own that they have to read the entire time.

At least let me put chaotic jesters and book of bad poetries on ignore. How hard is that to do?
    Yinla and Dwimmerlaike like this.
  5. Sissruukk Rogue One

#KeepTheJester
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  6. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

I recently saw the Jesters spam when entering the GL. I unloaded my loot in the bank as quickly possible and got the heck out of there. To say the Jester is annoying is an understatement.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

The Lobby, and maybe PoK, needs to ban the use of:
    - familiars (and other summoned creatures)
    - illusions
    - mounts
    Wyre Wintermute and Jhenna_BB like this.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

I can imaging a ceremony for the jester's retirement. But since it's possible that children might be present I will refrain from describing it.
  9. Brickhaus Augur

I am pretty sure I remember leveling caster toons solo (pre-OOC and pre-merc) and using the jester. Getting that full mana bar back was so satisfying.

The jester is better than the bards who play melodies in the lobby/PoK for hours and hours or even the heal over times that never go away. I'd fix those two things before I'd touch the jester.
    Wyre Wintermute and Sissruukk like this.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Nope. Nope nope nope. Anything that lets me give other players grief must be embraced by the game, not discarded from it.
  11. Tyranthraxus Grognard

What server is this complaint from? For no reason whatsoever but my curiosity, I promise...
  12. Dwimmerlaike Elder

120. From standing in the guild lobby where I go to get buffed, but I also buff out the rest of the server. Something I can't do with several stacks of black bread and water in my hands.

So, it's moot now. I no longer stand in the guild lobby and I buff myself since I have all the toons to do it. The server can go rot because this game is all about >>>ME<<<. :):p
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

I forget what the spell numbers are, but you can block the black bread and drink he randomly spams.
    I believe the black bread is "Blessing of the Harvest" and the globe of water is "Blessing of the Storm"
    Edit: Nevermind, these are other spells, still looking into the Jester ones.
    Dwimmerlaike likes this.
  14. Dwimmerlaike Elder

THAT would be awesome if those could be blocked!
  15. Sissruukk Rogue One

OK, goofed around with my jester. The "Bristlebane's Cornucopia," "Bristlebane's Wine," and "Bristlebane's Bread" cannot be blocked because they aren't considered "active" spells. However, I did find you can keep yourself from casting Chaotic Jester, not that you would accidentally do it anyway, lol.
    The other spells I mentioned are from the items in old Vex Thal that you can use to spam people with burnt bread and globes of water, so it is good to add those to your blocked spell list to keep people from trolling you with those.
  16. Loup Garou De loop de loop

No, there is no way to block the Jester itself or the spells it casts or the spamming of jokes. Everything has been tried and the best resolution we saw was when Dev's revamped them to poof after a set time in the lobby instead of waiting for the player to zone.
  17. Act of Valor The Newest Member

If this is happening in your guildhall, the jester is death touched by the dolorous jester of guk.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  18. Dwimmerlaike Elder

Guild Lobby. People on Luclin want to be jerks and pop jesters, they can buff themselves. Heck after a wipe I even used to go MGB while I recovered, no more. Jester can stay. The population wants it.
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

20. Burdi Augur

The chaotic jester is part of Eq legacy and tradition.
    It must be kept as is, folks in the lobby on my server praise him continuously.