Mischief 2.0 in May 2023

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by mrmine, Feb 1, 2023.

1. mrmine New Member

I see lots of people posting that they want another mischief server, that is, having randomized loot tables with free trade items. Yet most of the places I see them are on page 6 of a generic post not initially about this ruleset. If devs read and take ideas from posts as we are lead to believe, I want to make an OP about specifically having a new, classic start, mischief ruleset. Mischief will be on the 13th expansion by the time the new tlps come out and I think tbs vs classic are different enough that "go play mischief" doesnt really make sense any more...

What is needed for mischief 2.0:
    Classic start, 8ish week normal release cadence (I dont need to explain, same as mischief)
    Free trade on all items other than completed keys and epic quests.(again, same tradable items as mischief possibly with a few epic items adjusted)
    Random Loot tables (again, same as mischief, these tables can be tweaked slightly with second time around?)

Other ideas to make it not a "clone":
    Beastlord and Berserker in from the start - I personally think it would be awesome to see both classes running around guk in classic
    Relaxed True-box from the start - Seems like a pretty good compromise between truebox and full boxing. If not from classic, at least at GoD when boxing starts to really feel more necessary.

Some personal thoughts on changes to random loot tables through the expansions:
    Classic - Add Sky and Phinigel to the random loot tables.
    Kunark - Everything was fine IIRC
    Velious - After the yelinak fix, things were good. Maybe add Nev or Vyemm to t1 to make the pool sizes closer to even.
    Luclin - Luclin was perfect.
    Pop - Pop was busted. Grummus and p4 time should never be close to the same tier. There are pretty clear Tiers already in the Pop Progression that I feel couldve been followed a bit closer.
    My Personal Tiers would be:
    T1: Quarm/P5/P4/Elemental End bosses
    T2: P3/2/1/Ele Minis
    T3: T3 pop Progression / Saryrn / Bertox
    T4: Everything Else
    God-PoR: This was my first time going past PoP so I dont have the knowledge to make opinions of changes
    Wiegraff, Brontus, Aiona and 3 others like this.
  2. Brazy Augur

Free trade without the Mischief random/loot explosion please. At the very least remove it from the raid drops and leave it on the group mobs. In my opinion it's so stupid watching a raid mob drop 20 items. If I wanted tons of loot I'd play WoW where everything is handed to me.
    Wtfagain likes this.
  3. Crabman Augur

I do agree a possibly free trade without the random loot would be fine. But also after the very first week of classic they had fixed the mobs that were dropping 20 items. One example I found was a dkp sheet from an NToV run where we got 90 items off the 16 raid mobs there are. thats 5.6 items per raid mob not 20. There were a few tweaks they made to loot tables as each xpac launched but thats very different than just saying "watching a raid mob drop 20 items" and making it sound like its been 20 items per raid mob for the entirety of the server.

That said I definitely think we are due for another free trade server, mischief loot or regular. I also hope they dont make an "overflow" server for the same rules. We dont need people transferring items back and forth
  4. Neuro Elder

Free Trade needs to be paired with Random loot for best results. Free trade by itself leads to massive amounts of toxic behavior by a certain subset of the community who are only there to farm krono items. Randomizing the loot tables alleviates that, since you can get "good" loot in lots of places. Random without free trade just aggravates people because you get NODROP items that you have no use for, and you can't target loot you need.

The problem with Mischief were certain items that didn't quite fit. Key pieces were sometimes tradable, sometimes not, same with quest items. Also, I still say certain items need to have their spawn timers adjusted because the pace of TLPs is so much faster than original release.

Personally, I like the idea of ATTUNED items, which is the EQ version of Bind on Equip. That plus Random would be great. Of course, I would really like to see a krono-restricted server as well. What would this be? Well, we all know Darkpaw will never release a non-Krono server because that's their moneymaker, but a Krono-restricted server would prevent using krono from other servers. Any krono you buy can be claimed on the server, and any krono you have on other servers can be used to extend your premium time, but you can't pull krono from other servers to the new TLP. From a darkpaw perspective, this would be great, as people would have to buy fresh krono on the new server if they wanted to use it, and it would greatly limit the way people bring hundreds of krono from other servers with them to warp the economy from day 1. It might even curtail the krono farmers since this would make krono far harder to come by.
  5. mrmine New Member

Its weird that you are concerned about people who farm items for krono but then also want attunable items. Attunable is a krono farmers dream. They dont have to sell loot rights, but then they also dont have to worry about items being resold. Attunable only hurts people who actually play the game and use the items. I still end up with a bunch of items in my bank after I have replaced them that I cant move to an alt.

As for your first point, random loot alleviates some of this toxic behavior on its own. Free trade has nothing to do with it. People on yelinak/aradune/mangler/corinav/agnarr still camped gimblox, begurgle, quillmane just to sell loot rights... So you are correct, random loot tables alleviates that, but free trade doesnt change it at all. It actually most likely makes it better for the average player, tons of people will be getting the items then reselling them, lowering the price much faster than those who sit and camp items just to sell loot rights.
    Ragnoruk likes this.
  6. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

Please, do not give us eight weeks of classic again. It is not healthy for a person's mind to farm plane of hate, fear, and sky for two months. Daybreak will have to pay for my psychiatrist's bill if I'm subjected to another eight weeks of classic, eight weeks of kunark, and eight weeks of velious.

Classic = 4 weeks
    Kunark = 4 weeks
    Velious = 4 weeks

I'll settle for six weeks for each expansion because I'm such a nice poster.
  7. mrmine New Member

4 is too fast... we saw the burnout on selos... 8 is nice, go hard for a few weeks, has some time to taper off before the next expac launch
    Ragnoruk likes this.
  8. Brazy Augur

Nah, FV has been a great server to play on for YEARS without the need for random loot explosions. Just a normal Free Trade would be a smash hit and still keep the game sort of feeling like EverQuest, not some EZ BIS for all server.
  9. Beastmal New Member

there is no point in having another mischief server for atleast few more years once population is quite low/about to merge with FV(live), or new one just remove the free trade aspect of it.
    Random+increased loot rate, but normal no trade.
  10. Xhartor Augur

It's better to wait until Mischief finishes it's run, let the players in for the long haul finish the content. Once you release another free trade server you kill mischief.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  11. Crabman Augur

Better for who? Not daybreak. They have an idea for a server that had unprecedented popularity and longevity. Now after a year of a less popular, classic server clone, and a failed experiment in vaniki, I bet they want a sure thing.

As for those who are in it for the long haul that you are worried about jumping ship, if the leave for a new server because it has the same rulesets were they really in it for the long haul? There are people still playing on corinav after mangler/aradune/yelinak came out. Those were all basically identical rulesets. Mischief will still have enough people to continue killing things because there are actually people in it for the long haul. A new mischief would not only take from mischief’s population either. There are plenty of people who had already stopped playing mischief that would love another, and there are your every year rerollers who will be coming from or have already stopped playing on yelinak/vaniki.

So I get that you play on mischief now and love it, but having 2(3) servers of free trade, 14 expansions apart, is not a bad idea
  12. Tweakfour17 Augur

And look at Coirnav now, getting merged into Vox earlier than expected due to poor population. Mischief 2 will hurt Mischief 1 alot, does that make more money for DBG vs releasing Phinny 9 or some other new Variant? Thats for DBG to guess at and hindsight to let us know if they were right or not.
  13. Crabman Augur

Is it due to population? Or is it due to being more cost effective? Or is it due to the amount of complaints phinny had for not merging earlier? And we can already look at hindsight over the past two years to see how much better it did than phinny 8. All I’m saying though really is that hurting a server has not really stopped them from releasing new servers each year so I don’t think that weighs very heavily on their decision making.
  14. Ragnoruk Augur

I would definitely play on a Mischief 2.0 server & I agree with most of this post.

I'm not sure a classic start is "needed" and I would really appreciate a relaxed truebox from the start, even if it's just for 1 additional character.

It's certainly been long enough since Mischief 1.0 to release a 2.0.
    Crabman likes this.
  15. Faydra Augur

A relaxed truebox version of Mischief would be incredible.
  16. Kahna Augur

From the why is Corinav getting merged early thread in this forum.

17. Crabman Augur

Ahh that’s fair. Don’t play there so not keeping up to date on the post. That said, mischief has way more people for tss launch than corinav did at that time. So I think even if a sizable chunk leave they will still be in a fine spot.
  18. wade_watts Augur

Perfect, exquisite, beautiful, well said.
  19. Aiona Augur

I have been wanting this for years!

When Mischief came along, I was happy to make roots there but real life threw a curveball at me and I haven't been able to play much again, until now.
  20. MischiefTLP Augur

Yelinak - 254+ Days, almost certainly repeated in 2023 and/or 2024
    Vaniki - 254+ Days, probably never repeated
    Sleeper - 267 Days, never repeated
    Mayong - 434 Days, never repeated
    Mischief - 618+ Days, probably repeated
    Thornblade - 618+ Days, probably repeated
    Selo - 859 Days, probably never repeated
    Combine - 939 Days, never repeated
    Miragul - 954 Days, never repeated
    Aradune - 982+ Days, Yelinak 729
    Rizlona - 982+ Days, Yelinak 729
    Quarm/Brekt - 1378 Days, never repeated
    Mangler - 1420+ Days, Aradune/Rizlona 439, Yelinak 1167
    Coirnav - 1785+ Days (1948 Days on July 15), Mangler 366, Aradune/Rizlona 804, Yelinak 1532
    Lockjaw - 1789 Days, never repeated (pickzones, no AoC)
    Agnarr - 2081+ Days, never repeated
    Phinny - 2381 Days, Coirnav 829, Mangler 1194, Aradune/Rizlona 1632, Yelinak 2360
    Vulak - 2437 Days, never repeated
    Ragefire - 2816+ Days, never repeated (pickzones, no AoC)
    Fippy - 3353 Days, never repeated
    Trakanon - 3513 Days, Vox 556
    Vox - 3976+ Days, probably never repeated

Every server with a + except Coirnav is presumably open at least another ~530 days. Keep in mind that most servers lasted 2200-2300 days before a merge closed half of the servers and then another half of the servers closed 1900-2000 days after that. Selo caught up with Live after 719 Days, at which point Yelinak will be in TSS and Vaniki will be in TBL.