2023 - Laptops for 64-bit EQ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Hi guys I know we have a large number of IT pros in the EQ community and am looking to get a new laptop ideal for 64-bit EQ but don't want to break the bank. Budget is around $800-$900
    Thinking quad-core AMD/Intel (does it matter?)
    Dedicated video card (Is there one that works best with EQ?)
    16GB ram for multiboxing
    1TB SSD for programs and fast zoning
    17.3" screensize
    Soundcard I think?
    Anything else?

Also are there some gem suppliers of laptops that offer great value (build quality/features/price) that you IT folks like?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Iven Antonius Bayle

I will search that for you.... :cool:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...top&o=date&c[date]=1546297200&c[title_only]=1

Good enough. Should not be older than three years tho. AMD Ryzen 3 maybe.
    Not really needed for EQ. Can be added later if necessary.
    Perfect.
    Does not make a big difference for zoning. About a half sec only.
    Sure, why not.
    Onboard is good enough for EQ and most other stuff. Take a look at the soundchip model maybe. Good external speakers are more important.
    Don't get a laptop, get a well cooled midi tower (mesh case) with a passive or hybrid cooled power supply instead with a 19" screen or bigger.
    Deux likes this.
  3. Windance Augur

You are suggesting adding a video card to a laptop after the fact? I don't think that is good advice.

This I fully agree with. PC sales have stalled and we should see some good prices. NOTE: I haven't actually looked though.

The main thing to look for is a good return policy. If you get a lemon you want to return it right away.

I personally would want to make sure the laptop has some version of dedicated graphics. The integrated graphics has gotten a LOT better and while you CAN get by with it you will see a noticeable improvement, especially if you plan to box multiple characters.
    Deux, minimind and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That doesn't help if one of the reasons they are looking for a laptop is so they can take it with them when traveling.
    Zunnoab and Deux like this.
  5. Alnitak Augur

For a laptop choice you can start shopping around having a benchmark (price/features) in:
    https://www.amazon.com/HP-17t-i7-1165G7-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B0B3KMVW9D
    for $719

For a desktop choice you can get something really nice like:
    https://www.amazon.com/STGAubron-Computer-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Win10Pro64/dp/B0BK539D4V
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LC27F398FWNXZA-C27F398-Curved-Monitor/dp/B01CX26WIG
    for $670 for both.

I am OK with Amazon due to their no-hustle return policy (I can drop-off a return at the nearby Kohl's)

P.S. If you need laptop for traveling, I still recommend to buy a nice monitor for your home setting.
    Deux likes this.
  6. Windance Augur

Here is the listing from microcenter:

https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294967288 44 522 4294820736&myStore=false

The primary differences in these laptops is going to be the GPU:

RTX 3050-TI (laptop) vs RTX 3060 (laptop)
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...-Nvidia-RTX-3050-Ti-Laptop/m1452971vsm1559532

Assuming you plan to use this laptop for 5+ years I would try to squeeze a bit more into your budget and step go with the 6GB RTX 3060 vs the 4GB RTX 3050-TI. The price difference is about $100-$150 but it gets you a +40% on their benchmarks.

NOTE:

High performance laptops generate a LOT of heat and have a limited space for fans. One of the complaints about the gaming laptops is how hot and loud the fans can run.

Brands: I've used several HP , MSI and ASUS laptop/desktops for work. I haven't noticed any one brand being all that much better than the others. I have not user Acer in a while so I have no real data for you on that.

SSD: Many of the laptops on the list have 512 GB SSDs. Upgrading to a larger SSD later is an option but might take some work if there is only one SSD connector.

If I had to choose from the laptops in the listing above:

#1 RISKY: $900 - Refurbished HP OMEN 16b-b0005dx 16.1" - 11th gen i7 2.3 GHz processor with 8GB RTX 3070

#2 SAFER: $999 - MSI Katana GF66 - 15.6" 12th gen i7 1.7 GHz processor with 6GB RTX 3060

#3 VALUE: $799 - HP Victus 16-e1163nr - 16.1" AMD Ryzen 7 6800H 3.2 Ghz CPU with 4GB RTX 3050-TI

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The refurbished HP OMEN is by far the best performer but its somewhat risky because its refurbished. This means someone purchased it and returned it for some (unknown) reason. It may be perfectly fine and just didn't suit their purpose, or it may be a lemon.

The MSI Katana is the 2nd best performer. Its a little higher than your price point but I think the $200 is worth it over the 3rd option. Both the CPU and the GPU benchmark (25%) and (40%) faster than the 3rd place laptop.

While the $800 the HP Victus is the slowest of the 3x laptops it will have no issues running multiple EQ clients.

------------------------------------------------

CPU benchmark comparing the Intel and AMD cpus

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-12700H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-6800H/m1750314vsm1786492
    Deux likes this.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If its just for eq, you don't need to spend even that much. Just buy a cheap used one.

For less than $300 I bought another laptop last year used (hate truebox, so dumb), with 32 gb ram, quad core, and runs eq just as well as the $1500 laptop I had just bought.

Also, be leery of the larger screen MSI Katana, the screens are so thin, that it doesn't take much to crack the screen at the frame (like pulling it closed with one hand in the middle). For eq, its just not worth the money.

Now, if you play other games, or use it for other things, that's a different story.
    Hobitses and Deux like this.
  8. Windance Augur

I personally wouldn't get a laptop. The are just more likely to have issues.

One of the guys I work with has a MSI GT something that had issues with the panel splitting apart where the hinges are. Another had a similar issue with in HP. They are balancing costs, materials, and size and you pay for it.

If you are computer saavy that is a good option.

It really depends on what your expectations are. If you want "just a box" you can get away with using really old hardware. If you want a smooth gaming experience and plan to hold on to the machine for years then get something better.
    Deux likes this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sounds like bad luck, I have never had that problem and never heard of anyone having that problem and my company uses laptops for pretty much everything.
    Deux likes this.
  10. Iven Antonius Bayle

I think you are right. I forgot that modern laptops do easily get damaged when trying to open them as they are often products for one-time usage and not as clunky as in the past.

EQ does not support the 3D co-processor of graphic cards and APUs. About everything has to be calculated by the CPU. That might change with the announced swap to DirectX 12 which does also better support multi-core CPUs. Laptops are unsuitable for modern 3D games and if so they are very expensive but EQ is an old game so a modern APU will do the job for EQ but maybe not for other games. I do suggest an AMD APU (CPU with the letter G or GE) from 2022 as their 3D power (Vega engine) had been increased significantly and new series will be further enhanced.

Regarding the costs, tower PCs do offer much more and better power, space, expandability, repairability and cooling for the same or less money and nearly all parts are easily exchangeable.
    Deux likes this.
  11. Metanis Bad Company

Hobitses and Deux like this.
  12. Tappin Augur

Almost any laptop at the $800.00 USD range with play EQ. The only thing to be concerned about is heat... EQ still seems to leverage the CPU more than GPU, but does utilize the the GPU ram so 16 GB is good enough for at least 6 accounts.
    Deux likes this.
  13. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

You are asking for 2023 model, 17" 16gb ram and 1tb hard drive size, under $900. ..:) yeah, I dunno if this is 2023. That is about what you are going to get for current. Not the ram size or hard drive size. $800 + tax.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-n...-256gb-pcie-gen-4-ssd/6521831.p?skuId=6521831
    Above are good answers from others, the issue you are going to have here is 17" screen at
    1920-1080 resolution. It is going to look like crap. Same resolution from a 15" stretched to 17". you would want 1440 atleast for 17".

The things you want for under $900 is just not going to go your way.
    If you are going to just play 1 toon, stick with 8gb ram 512 hard drive 15".

Dell G15 gaming. delloutlet. https://tinyurl.com/mrk52pf4
    Maybe Lenovo

Stay away from ASUS TUF, Dell insprion, HP.

Slickdeals . net
    microcenter (maybe open box)
    Bestbuy (maybe open box)
    ..even walmart. (in store). You can find a laptop in walmart from $500-$600-$749. MSI - Lenovo.

Make sure you read Questions and Answers on if you can upgrade RAM and NVMe.. so you can later.

Stick with 15".. you can't afford a good 17"...it is bad having a 1920x1080 17".

If you are going to box 6, you are going to need something that cools well..

Oh, buy a laptop cooler.. and for now just prop up the back off the table when you play. I use a laptop cooler an the fan is off on the cooler, the open air being propped up is good enough.
    Cooling is everything. Good laptops have good heat transfer.